Bob Hoover

mshunter

Seeing Bob Hoover mentioned in another thread got me to thinking about his routine I was fortunate to witness in my early teens at Reno. This man is a true aviator that understands the mechanics of an airplane. When he was still doing his routines it was like watching nothing I have ever seen before. Pure magic. It's a shame no one will touch him insurance wise in the US anymore.

[YT]PftNh_SShlg[/YT]

[YT]uSS286Vybk8&feature=related[/YT]

If you click the second video it will give a brief description of why he was no longer allowed to fly at airshows in the US.

For anyone interested in learning more about Hoover, I highly recommend reading his autobiography "Forever Flying" - it's a great read. I didn't know a whole lot about him before I read his book - he's experienced some incredible things throughout his aviation career.

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Flyin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271145833&sr=8-1

Thanks for the Amazon link, I'll be buying that book next! I noticed below his book they list several others, "Fate is the Hunter" should be required reading for Pilots and "I could never be so lucky again" by Jimmy Doolittle is also a fantastic book, should be required reading for all pilots as well. That guy was INSANE!

He invented the ILS. And he would fly biplanes into barns just to see what would happen! He once broke his arm showing off at a party, doing a handstand...on a ledge...out of a second story window, drunk! He fell off and broke his arm, but he still flew a demo flight the next day, with one hand, in a new airplane he was trying to get the Mexican Gov. to buy...

Crazy stuff he did, and lived to tell the tale, thus the title!

I woulden't consider him bold, because no of his stuff really was. I would consider him calculated. But in his younger years, listening to his interviews, he definatly was.

I dunno about that. One of my college professors told me a story about how Bob Hoover came to his USAF squadron to do a demo flight in one of their jets. Apparently the maneuvers Bob wanted to do would create some real hazards in the variant of the jet he wanted, so my Prof squawked it before he got there.

I think it was two seat trainer variant vs 1 seat.. I can't recall.

The end point of the story is, the Prof claimed that Hoover would have killed himself if he'd gone out and done it the way he wanted.

The Feds did screw Bob, though, and they were always out to do. My old DPE/Flight school manager where I got my wings said he was in the tower cab one day when Bob came in and requested a "Hoover approach".

Tower cleared him for a Hoover approach, and Bob proceeded to loop, dance, and hop down the runway.

Tower immediately wanted to torch him- but my DPE said they couldn't. They did, after all, clear him for a 'Hoover' approach.

I'd imagine the FAA was gunning for him for years.

Its a good book. You'll find out why he flew the shrike for his (demonstrations) shows

Back