Flying the Feathered Edge: The Bob Hoover Project - Nov. 17th release

SuperCubRick

I had the opportunity to thank him for all he's done for aviation at his first annual BBQ Fly-In on May 31st at his jet center in Van Nuys, CA. My video was playing on the big-screen, it was a memorable experience. I spoke with director Kim Furst and she thought the video would a fun and unique way to raise awareness for her soon to be released documentary. She said that flight sims can certainly help to get the younger generation interested in aviation.

I've been flying PC sims since I was about 10 and still enjoy flying every now and then in the virtual world (more fun than airline flying anyway). A few sim friends and I thought it'd be a challenge to try and fly a Hoover style demo, complete with one wheel landings and energy management routine. I gave it a shot - and with the music and narration about Hoover's flying career, I thought it turned out very well.

This is a tribute to flying legend R.A. "Bob" Hoover and his Mustang routine flown by myself in DCS: P-51D, a high fidelity PC based simulator. Narrated by my friend and fellow sim geek Chris "Striker" Curtis, a CV-22 combat veteran and narrator for the Patriots Jet Team.

The performance shown here was flown live Feb 16, 2014 during the first anniversary celebrations of the Virtual Aerobatics website and multiplayer server, a place where flight simulator enthusiasts from around the world can fly together and practice all types of demonstration flying.

A former airshow and United States Air Force test pilot, he's been referred to as "the greatest stick-and-rudder-man who ever lived" by Jimmy Doolittle, "the best pilot I ever saw" by Chuck Yeager, and "the pilot's pilot". He is considered by many to be one of the founding fathers of aerobatics. His lifetime of achievement and excellence creates a lasting legacy that will continue to be an inspiration to all for many generations to come.

To learn more about Bob's incredible career purchase a copy of his autobiography: "Forever Flying". Also, be sure to watch for the release of two documentaries: "Flying the Feathered Edge" by Kim Furst on Nov. 17th, and "Perfecting Flight: Bob Hoover" by Dan Birman.

http://www.thebobhooverproject.com

My friend was the general manager of the jet center and arranged for Mr. Hoover to watch my tribute demo a few weeks prior, I figured it'd be supremely underwhelming to him, but maybe he would think it was a neat gesture. He said "boy, that was just beautiful, fine flying! I sure enjoyed it. Thank you so very much, I had no idea you could fly something like that on a computer".

Rick_Hoover3_Resized.jpg

BH5_Resized.jpg

BH1_Resized.jpg

My copy of "Forever Flying"
Hoover_Book.jpg

Last edited:
Back