Bob Hoover

The end point of the story is, the Prof claimed that Hoover would have killed himself if he'd gone out and done it the way he wanted.

Many say that about his flying in the Saberliner and the 500. What say you? I call it a level of assumed risk. Would I go out and do it, no. It is a well calculated sequence, in, of like he likes to call it, enegry management.

Not knowing your professor, I would have to side on Mr. Hoover's. Many say if you were to roll a DC-10, you would surely die, but it has been done, and all lived to tell about it. And it WAS intentional. There is being a pilot, then there is being an aviator. He was/is an aviator.

Many say that about his flying in the Saberliner and the 500. What say you? I call it a level of assumed risk. Would I go out and do it, no. It is a well calculated sequence, in, of like he likes to call it, enegry management.

Not knowing your professor, I would have to side on Mr. Hoover's. Many say if you were to roll a DC-10, you would surely die, but it has been done, and all lived to tell about it. And it WAS intentional. There is being a pilot, then there is being an aviator. He was/is an aviator.

True. One might suppose that my prof was biased. I can't even remember the specific type that was in question.. but the reasoning sounded valid.

Ah well. I suppose you're right- considering Mr. Hoover's continued success with airplanes he must be doing SOMETHING right.

If aviation is a religion...
Hoover is a God!
His book is great. Read it if you haven't already.

I was at a talk by Chuck Yeager several years ago and he was ask about Bob Hoover. He said "Bob Hoover is the finest natural born pilot I've ever known" (expletives removed):D

Somebody rolled a DC-10?! 707 okay, but a DC-10 would look like a whole lot of "yikes"!
Who was it that rolled a DC-10?

Ah well. I suppose you're right- considering Mr. Hoover's continued success with airplanes he must be doing SOMETHING right.

Well, in theory, any aircraft that managed to get a type certificate is capable of being rolled. As long as the pilot maintains positive g's, and doesn't botch the maneuver, over stressing the airframe. Which is why I wouldn't do it.

If you are Bob Hoover or Tex Johnston, go ahead and get an FAA waiver to do aerobatics in your transport or utility category aircraft. I would imagine it would be pretty common to do rolls in flight test anyway, to establish rate of roll performance (how else would you do it?) I'll ask a test pilot I know next time I see him.

Somebody rolled a DC-10?! 707 okay, but a DC-10 would look like a whole lot of "yikes"!
Who was it that rolled a DC-10?

It was Fed-Ex flight where a jump seater tried to kill the two pilots. It's a long story, but yeah, they rolled it trying to keep they guy at bay.

Here is a transcript of events. I saw a NatGeo show on this.

http://www.simplyscripts.com/scripts/Fedexflight705.pdf

And this

[YT]X8hnXrVZjQg[/YT]

[YT]9rJy_HRhWD0&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]3fJSlq7QS-o&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]wxOoVxYV_jU&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]Ds-z-TqYZVY&feature=related[/YT]

That whole story about the attempted DC-10 takeover is nuts. It's a damn shame none of those guys ever got to fly again, I almost thought the CA was going to tear up when he was asked about it in the end. The nut-job who tried to kill them is locked up in Atwater adjacent to Castle AFB. I remember thinking about the incident when I did my long solo XC there and looked out at the prison.

Both Bob Hoover and Art Scholl were regulars at most larger SoCal air shows in the late 70's early 80's. As a high school student I assumed that caliber of pilot was the norm. Art Scholl was killed making TopGun.

Both Bob Hoover and Art Scholl were regulars at most larger SoCal air shows in the late 70's early 80's. As a high school student I assumed that caliber of pilot was the norm. Art Scholl was killed making TopGun.

I never knew there were fatality accidents in Top Gun.

What happened?

I never knew there were fatality accidents in Top Gun.

What happened?

Right when the closing credits start there is something about the movie being dedicated to Art Scholl.

They were shooting an inverted flat spin from a Pitts. Art couldn't get out of it and spun all the way to the ocean off Oceanside CA. He was talking on the radio all the way down but couldn't recover.

Theory is the cameras mounted on he aircraft affected weight and balance in a way that prevented a recovery.

Nether the aircraft or Art's body were ever recovered.

Right when the closing credits start there is something about the movie being dedicated to Art Scholl.

They were shooting an inverted flat spin from a Pitts. Art couldn't get out of it and spun all the way to the ocean off Oceanside CA. He was talking on the radio all the way down but couldn't recover.

Theory is the cameras mounted on he aircraft affected weight and balance in a way that prevented a recovery.

Nether the aircraft or Art's body were ever recovered.

Wow.. what a bummer. I had no idea. I do like that he talked the whole way down and never stopped fighting for recovery. "Rage, rage, against the dying of the light" and all that. RIP Art Scholl

Is it just me or does it seem like the icons of the aviation world are slowly dying out? And that most were mainly part of a past generation as well?

I mean.. the only 'present day' big name I can think off the top of my head are Patty Wagstaff. There are some other notable names, I guess.. but it would seem like true innovators are a dying breed.

Wow.. what a bummer. I had no idea. I do like that he talked the whole way down and never stopped fighting for recovery. "Rage, rage, against the dying of the light" and all that. RIP Art Scholl

Is it just me or does it seem like the icons of the aviation world are slowly dying out? And that most were mainly part of a past generation as well?

I mean.. the only 'present day' big name I can think off the top of my head are Patty Wagstaff. There are some other notable names, I guess.. but it would seem like true innovators are a dying breed.

Yes, truly said, but we should consider ourselves lucky to be here and to know and learn the stories of these notable icons. I always find it interesting to hear their stories of how they got started and all of the experience that they came through to get to today.

I was thinking the same thing, only other name I could think of was Sean Tucker. I was just watching an interview by him on youtube last night, he was talking about the incident at the Riverside airshow when he had to bail out of the Oracle plane and he got caught on the tail briefly!

Back