Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

I love making people do the Garrett salute. People know when their freight has arrived.

Yeah, well, that was my first instinct, too. But it turns out that it's impossible to use a cellphone whilst a Garrett is running within 3 or 400 yards. So you'd better call from inside, where it's mercifully quiet. Provided you can put down the phone-camera long enough to call...

SA227 are maintenance hogs. Outside AMF, lots of operators do not take care of their Metros, so it becomes a pain to fly. I enjoyed flying it in the Sim in San Antonio but not so much in real life.

Well there's a statement if I ever did see one.

I don't think I've ever flown a simulator I liked more than the real airplane.

The Caravan sim I go to every year is FAR smoother than the actual airplane which makes it better.

Wow. Y'all need to fly better airplanes.

Incidentally, I saw a SeaPort 'van in San Diego on the way to Imperial today. With our record heat, I bet that was a really fun ride, more fun than IPL normally is.

Yeah, well, that was my first instinct, too. But it turns out that it's impossible to use a cellphone whilst a Garrett is running within 3 or 400 yards. So you'd better call from inside, where it's mercifully quiet. Provided you can put down the phone-camera long enough to call...
Phone? Hell the villages are so small they hear us taxi in and they come out. Or we just call on the village radio frequency. Strange way of life.

Is it mechanic training, parts availability, factory support, or does the Metro have more than its fair share of issues?

I fly a -3 Metro II in southern Argentina. Medevac ops.

Our usual mission is from Rio Grande to Buenos Aires (AEP). A mere 1200nm trip, and then back. Extremely tiring, especially because we almost everytime end up flying at night. We do have an AP, but it didn't work for 8 months.

The -3 would do 230KTAS on a consistent basis and it is very challenging to load. Not the plane for this long mission. Only fast on approach.

But I truly love it. Such a fantastic airplane, and below 10,000 it has nothing to envy to jets.

Personally, what I have found is that the more into the industry I get, the more I am realizing that there is more to life than just flying. Having good pay, good benefits, and time off, are becoming just as important as being able to fly. You have to ask yourself, although some might give you "street cred" for being able to fly a certain type of aircraft (whatever that means), you have to look at your life, your priorities, and see if taking this move will allow you to continue to make progress in those areas. If it does, go for it. If not, than you may want to rethink your plan.

As far as one airplane being harder than the other, to me, flying can be as easy or as challenging as you, the pilot, are willing to make it. Are you the kind of pilot who gets up to altitude, turns on the autopilot, and stares out the window for an hour and a half? That will make any airplane easy. Do you monitor gauges, cross-reference position, determine enroute alternates, update ETA's and weather? Now it's starting to become more complicated. Now try clicking off the autopilot (assuming company policy allows it) and give yourself a tolerance of 20 ft., 2 degrees heading, and 1/2 dot course deflection, and continue to make all these checks. Still easy? You can get really creative and start making a list of different target attitudes and power settings to correspond with the various performance values you need (i.e. if you need a 1000 fpm descent at 190 knots, what is your target attitude and power setting?) and then categorize it further by N-number. The best advice I ever got when it came to flying was fly every flight like it was a checkride. Do that and you'll stay very proficient and will remain challenged.

As long as they're using the correct fingers. ;)

123876959569ww17.jpg

Are we talking in something like this???

Personally, what I have found is that the more into the industry I get, the more I am realizing that there is more to life than just flying. Having good pay, good benefits, and time off, are becoming just as important as being able to fly. You have to ask yourself, although some might give you "street cred" for being able to fly a certain type of aircraft (whatever that means), you have to look at your life, your priorities, and see if taking this move will allow you to continue to make progress in those areas. If it does, go for it. If not, than you may want to rethink your plan.

As far as one airplane being harder than the other, to me, flying can be as easy or as challenging as you, the pilot, are willing to make it. Are you the kind of pilot who gets up to altitude, turns on the autopilot, and stares out the window for an hour and a half? That will make any airplane easy. Do you monitor gauges, cross-reference position, determine enroute alternates, update ETA's and weather? Now it's starting to become more complicated. Now try clicking off the autopilot (assuming company policy allows it) and give yourself a tolerance of 20 ft., 2 degrees heading, and 1/2 dot course deflection, and continue to make all these checks. Still easy? You can get really creative and start making a list of different target attitudes and power settings to correspond with the various performance values you need (i.e. if you need a 1000 fpm descent at 190 knots, what is your target attitude and power setting?) and then categorize it further by N-number. The best advice I ever got when it came to flying was fly every flight like it was a checkride. Do that and you'll stay very proficient and will remain challenged.

No way man, you're wrong... The ONLY thing that matters in aviation is to be so awesome that the guys want to be you, and the women want to be WITH you.... Also the type of airplane you fly!
Ps. If I offended any helicopter pilots I apologize, please try to fly something relevant from this point on.

:)

Anyone that flies a Metro aka:The San Antonio Sewer Pipe aka The Death Pencil akaThe Screamin Weenie aka The Texas Lawn Dart aka The Sweatro aka The Terror Tube or my personal fav, the WSBOD has my rah-spekt! :biggrin:

(WSBOD = Whistling *poop* box of death) :bounce:

Anyone that flies a Metro aka:The San Antonio Sewer Pipe aka The Death Pencil akaThe Screamin Weenie aka The Texas Lawn Dart aka The Sweatro aka The Terror Tube or my personal fav, the WSBOD has my rah-spekt! :biggrin:

(WSBOD = Whistling *poop* box of death) :bounce:

LOVE this!

Back