Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

The metro can get up there! It would just take a bit of time. I've buzzed around at FL230 and more on a daily basis.
I always flew the metro between FL220 and FL250. Seemed like the only issue would be climbing from 240 to 250 if you were heavy.

Street cred doesn't mean jack. Both types are somewhat useless in the outside world. The 1900 can only be found in a handfull of freight operations and Great Mistakes, the Metro being very similar. They are very similar in terms of their credibility in the industry, at least from people I have talked to. The only people who make the Metro a big deal are the people that have flown them. Either airplane is a great choice, they are both a typed airplane, can be flown single pilot, and do what they do well. The 1900 can't really get you into a KA off the street but the cockpit, and flying characteristics are probably very similar.

There are a couple of "modern" airplanes that perhaps can infer "street cred". An MU2, and for piston twin an Aerostar. Other than that I'm at a loss. I see things differently though - I read the issue as being "Which modern nosegear equiped machine would allow me the most money and time off to fly a real airplane like a Pitts or something?"

Back to Doug's question!
Yeah it's nothing more than a big dick contest at AMF on both planes on which is better.
Outside of AMF..... no one cares
I hear it every morning from the metro pilots how bad ass and better their plane is. They generally shut up during really crappy weather when I'm at FL230 with a load of ice and they are struggling to climb thru 15000 in the ice. But they are fast and loud!

It's an awesome feeling when the smug grin gets wiped from someone's face! :D

Well what I was mostly getting at was... since SkyWest flies the 120 and it's "glass time", why wouldn't someone who flies the 120 at Ameriflight be just as eligible to move on to a major? Is it simply because of it being 121 that majors are looking for? Does any of what I'm saying make sense?

I have Ford Aerostar time, and it means nothing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372618633.938635.jpg

Fixed it
:)

Well what I was mostly getting at was... since SkyWest flies the 120 and it's "glass time", why wouldn't someone who flies the 120 at Ameriflight be just as eligible to move on to a major? Is it simply because of it being 121 that majors are looking for? Does any of what I'm saying make sense?

No idea. There's only 6 Brasilias here and the only pilot I've talked to is older, and doesn't plan on leaving. Personally, I think becoming a check airman is the best thing you can do for your resume at Ameriflight. In general, I don't think that 121 carriers care about freight dogging. Allegiant might.

I'm not sure having an EFIS(barely) and a glass HSI counts. I will never understand the infatuation with glass/fms from employers. Us 80s babies can figure out ANYTHING electronic in about 13 seconds. Whatever I guess...:)

80's babies? Man, you're almost ready for AARP old man! :)

4000 hrs of Metro III time. Great airplane, loved every minute of it and still one of my favorites. Tough as nails with big airplane systems and feel.

I know nothing about a 1900 but I have BE99 time and it was probably one of the easiest airplanes I ever flew. Metro was no where near as forgiving but had great performance. I've had it covered in NE winter ice and it flew fine. I always wonder about the 1900 and all those "fins" sticking out of it ripe for collecting ice. I'm sure it's a fine airplane. After all, it's a Beechcraft.

Street cred...that's funny. :)

I've got a good amount of SPIFR experience. Nobody cares. In fact, a lot of the time, I don't even mention it when the inevitable "What'd you do before this?" question comes up. If that time would have helped me build experience in ocean crossings and managing automation on a widebody, people would probably care. But alas, nowadays I pretty much just wind up punching buttons on a galley oven rather than fly around with a Bowie knife in my teeth (as was the style when I flew SPIFR).

I guess I also make more money and was home 18 days in June, though...

(See Post #5)

There are a couple of "modern" airplanes that perhaps can infer "street cred". An MU2, and for piston twin an Aerostar. Other than that I'm at a loss. I see things differently though - I read the issue as being "Which modern nosegear equiped machine would allow me the most money and time off to fly a real airplane like a Pitts or something?"

The Aerostar is not hard to fly at all.

Back