Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

Isn't a nickname also the "Texas tampon"

Yeah, "Baltimore •"(not sure what this one means, skinny maybe?), "Kerosene Crowbar", and "APU on a stick"(Some behemoth uses the 331 as an APU) are some of the other ones I've heard.

The "flying forehead"(1900D) makes me chuckle like an idiot! :D

Warm and fuzzy feeling when you cannot converse in English to the mechanic about the write up. English proficient?

Not surprised, a&ps here get paid peanuts with horrible hours and a lot of pressure to keep 'em flying with a single spare....maybe.

Ok, with all due respect to the person that asked me the question -- you shall remain nameless! :)

But a pilot has an opportunity to transition to the Beech 1900 or the Metroliner.

I said that I'd choose the 1900 as it's a solid airframe, carries lots of ice, provides a lot of options and, in my opinion Beech built a quality airplane.

However, word on the street is that you get more "street cred" by transitioning to the Metro as it's harder to fly and they're flown single pilot.

I can see system complexities between the aircraft there may be some more challenges flying the Metro as it's an older, not very updated design compared to other similar 15-18K pound twin turboprops, but... street cred? :)

If I flew a 1900, are my counterparts on the Metro going to look down upon me and if they did, I guess that co-worker consternation and $3 may get me a tall iced double tall non-fat latte.

I'm going from largely a 1970's-design 767 to a bigger, six-panel EFIS "modern" design fly-by-wire aircraft and all I got from my fellow co-workers was "Damn man, more money and better flying. Brilliant".

Thoughts?

Typed in both aircraft but I am partial to the D model 1900 because it kicks butt in the area of speed and performance not to mention I never worried about icing conditions in the D model because running away from ice in Colorado wasn't an option.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372766857.372927.jpg

Written on the wings of a metro.

Nuff said

Hey Doug who is this mystery person upgrading? Time to come out whoever you are. That or Doug wanted 8 pages of flame bait of cargo plane wars.

View attachment 24254

Written on the wings of a metro.

Nuff said

Hey Doug who is this mystery person upgrading? Time to come out whoever you are. That or Doug wanted 8 pages of flame bait of cargo plane wars.

Nah, I didn't ask permission to post his dilemma.

I thought it was a fairly obvious choice, but the "street cred" angle somewhat befuddled me.

Hell, I've been flying since 1986, starting at a small airfield where it was primarily crop dusters and Stearman but 27 years later, my amount of "street cred", in some circles, may be down to the aircraft I choose to fly.

The person in question and I see eye-to-eye on the decision, but the ancillary considerations and pressures are what really intrigued me.

My god. I'm old. I just realized that I could have made a large number of you guys during senior prom and you'd be solidly drinking age and fretting turning 30.

But I'm still fly... Tricks.

Nah, I didn't ask permission to post his dilemma.

I thought it was a fairly obvious choice, but the "street cred" angle somewhat befuddled me.

Hell, I've been flying since 1986, starting at a small airfield where it was primarily crop dusters and Stearman but 27 years later, my amount of "street cred", in some circles, may be down to the aircraft I choose to fly.

The person in question and I see eye-to-eye on the decision, but the ancillary considerations and pressures are what really intrigued me.

Well if the person works for AMF. Another thing to consider is that there are almost twice as many metros as there are hondo's. More runs = more freedom to move to places that might have a better quality of life. As far as one turbo prop being better than another for future career options...it's apples and oranges. People admire the fact that I've flown the metro SPIFR, but it hasn't landed me jack..but a "wow thats awesome/crazy/do you have an autopilot in that thing/I don't think that should be legal.

Well if the person works for AMF. Another thing to consider is that there are almost twice as many metros as there are hondo's. More runs = more freedom to move to places that might have a better quality of life. As far as one turbo prop being better than another for future career options...it's apples and oranges. People admire the fact that I've flown the metro SPIFR, but it hasn't landed me jack..but a "wow thats awesome/crazy/do you have an autopilot in that thing/I don't think that should be legal.

Since I don't have my SPIFR, I just got a 'tribal' :)

My god. I'm old. I just realized that I could have made a large number of you guys during senior prom and you'd be solidly drinking age and fretting turning 30.

Don't be one of those guys who goes around telling everyone how it was "Back in the day."

"I bet you didn't have _______ in school."
"Dude, I'm 7 years younger than you. We were in school at the same time."

:)

Old man Taylor!

Back