Be careful....

DOUBLE LIKE

At our place, the radio rarely gets answered. For some reason F/Os love to demonstrate how fast they can call, sometimes before retracting the flaps and whatever else they do over there as part of the after landing flow. Like...why? It isn't like the below wing staff are anxiously awaiting your call to sprint out to the box with lighted wands. Even if they were, does that extra 20 seconds really matter?

But I'm an easy going guy, so I usually say something like "the Company appreciates your efforts" or something along those lines. Don't want to fall in to micromanagement territory.
Luckily we dont do it. The only exception would be a ramp call in DFW that I can think of off the top of my head.

Luckily we dont do it. The only exception would be a ramp call in DFW that I can think of off the top of my head.

That’s like, you know, actual ops though, not some person sitting alone in a room confirming what you already found out via ACARS 4 hrs ago. I agree with you all, it is dumb, and wastes an inordinate amount of brain/listening power at typically one of the highest threat periods of a flight. I’ve pretty much stopped doing it until we are nearly at the gate, or at all in places like DFW. Ramp control or ground knows as much or more than ops does about gate status.

Good point about FlightAware. Pretty sure the FAs know our land times with more accuracy than we do.

The only time I can think of that we ever call OPS is by request from ATC after clearing to make sure our gate is open when ground doesn't have visibility on our gate. But other than that, operations already knows we're here and often, where we are.

You have to call ops early because the first call is on guard, so by the time you realize and get the right frequency it’s now the proper time to call them.

"On GUARRD!"

"Whatever Erol Flynn! Get it? En garde? Oh nevermind you uncultured degen!"

The only time I can think of that we ever call OPS is by request from ATC after clearing to make sure our gate is open when ground doesn't have visibility on our gate. But other than that, operations already knows we're here and often, where we are.

You give your JFK ops too much credit. Speaking from the bleachers of course.

You give your JFK ops too much credit. Speaking from the bleachers of course.

So since JFK Ground also does the non-standard movement area vs ramp control jurisdiction thing where they ask “on what taxiway do ya enter da ramp?” … does that mean you have to call ramp control to request your entry taxiway AND your company ops?

No wonder the 200 word vocabulary foreign pilots have a tough time. (Head exploding emoji)

You have to call ops early because the first call is on guard, so by the time you finish getting meowed at and get the right frequency it’s now the proper time to call them.

haha amazing. This is my life, you describe

"oh god damn it f**** stupid f****king radio"

CA: "you ok dude?"

"f*** f*** f***......OPS oh hello friends, we'll see you at N12, I love you".....no response

CA: "you won't see them. Clear left"

"aghhhhhhh, clear right, bus is on the APU, sorry I just ripped @ss, I've got bubble guts from all that stress"

CA: "shutting down 2"

"I'm shutting down emotionally now"

BING BONG

"hey its AMG"

"hey its Kathy in the front, the passengers are really confused about what you just said"

"F**************CK"

"They aren't confused about that"

< questions whether PA got keyed......will never know

Last edited:
That ads-b track is pretty eye popping. Had the fedex not gone around they would have been nut to butt way under the required same runway separation for VMC. Probably measured in 10s of feet if there wasn't a collision.

Len Morgan once said “In certain anxious moments, the job was cruelly underpaid”

If at least somebody (if not at least ONE of the pilots) doesn't know where a 121 bird is at all times, somebody needs to get fired (union protections be damned).

Why did SW call ready to go when so far away from the runway?

When told the Fedex is on a 3 mile final, why did they not realize that they would not have time for their engine run up?

Most facilities are on mandatory six day workweeks. Some have been for years. Schedules are worse, leave isn’t granted, time between breaks is running longer and longer. These incursions are the inevitable result.

I don’t understand why the ATC staffing crisis isn’t being blown up by every union. When I started as an ATC in 2011, it was an issue then. It’s only gotten worse since.

One of the most frustrating parts is every administration has known this was coming since Reagan fired the controllers in ‘81. The endless kicking the can down the road is the direct cause to all these incursions and the tragedies that are going to follow.

Why did SW call ready to go when so far away from the runway?

When told the Fedex is on a 3 mile final, why did they not realize that they would not have time for their engine run up?

Looks like they were turning onto the perpendicular taxiway, doesn't seem abnormally far especially if you keep rolling.

Why they didn't say something after given the traffic info is a good question, I'm curious what their responses are. 3 miles to me equals about 1000' AFE, or just over a minute away....If you're not on the runway yet, or not on the runway and know you need a runup, hopefully your own sense of self preservation would have you query tower or decline....

I bet tower was unaware....A quick runup at the hour in the morning might not be something I'd mention, but in the context of traffic on short final in fog, it all of a sudden becomes an issue.

Back