San Antonio Ground Worker Killed In Delta A319 Engine

Minuteman

“Dongola”
The NTSB said Saturday the worker went into the engine of a Delta Airlines jet.

”Delta Flight 1111 was taxying to the gate, with one engine on at that time, and a worker was ingested into that engine at 10:25 p.m," the NTSB said in a statement. "The NTSB has been in contact with Delta. They are in the information gathering process at this point."

The flight had just arrived from Los Angeles at the time.

KENS 5 has learned the worker was employed by a company that Delta Airlines contracts with to support ground handling operations. The airline said Saturday morning it was full supporting ongoing investigations.“

On Saturday afternoon Unifi Aviation released the following statement:

"Unifi Aviation is deeply saddened by the loss of our employee at San Antonio International Airport during a tragic incident in the late hours of Friday, June 23, 2023. Our hearts go out to the family of the deceased, and we remain focused on supporting our employees on the ground and ensuring they are being taken care of during this time.

From our initial investigation, this incident was unrelated to Unifi’s operational processes, safety procedures and policies. Out of respect for the deceased, we will not be sharing any additional information. While police and other officials continue to investigate this incident, we defer to them on providing further details."

Worker (27yoa) handed a suicide note, wrapped in a $1 bill, to his supervisor. Then he walked to the left-side engine, squatted down, and jump into the engine.
You have a lot going on if you do something like this. Sad he didn’t/couldn’t get help.

If help would have even mattered. Unfortunately I probably hold the JC record for number of people seen killing themselves at airports (or at least I hope I do), and I don't know how much mental health counselling would have even mattered in so many of those cases.

Last edited:
If help would have even mattered. Unfortunately I probably hold the JC record for number of people seen someone killing themselves at airports (or at least I hope I do), and I don't know how much mental health counselling would have even mattered in so many of those cases.

Let me guess... you had an office near an airport parking garage?

It's strange that that's the location that so many jumpers go for, but it's a pretty well documented thing.

The two big spots in Tampa were the short-term parking garage at TPA, and the Skyway Bridge connecting Sarasota and Tampa Bay. Our police captain told me that people who wanted their bodies to be found quickly, and their families notified, jumped at the Airport. Those who didn't took the bridge.

The two big spots in Tampa were the short-term parking garage at TPA, and the Skyway Bridge connecting Sarasota and Tampa Bay. Our police captain told me that people who wanted their bodies to be found quickly, and their families notified, jumped at the Airport. Those who didn't took the bridge.

Of significant note is the Skyway has a drive-over service if you get weirded out driving over tall bridges.

If help would have even mattered. Unfortunately I probably hold the JC record for number of people seen killing themselves at airports (or at least I hope I do), and I don't know how much mental health counselling would have even mattered in so many of those cases.
TPA and MSP I saw mentioned a lot over the years. MSP actually put blue metal fencing around the top floors of some of the garages where I used to take photos with suicide prevention hotline signs spread out every so many feet. Seems like debt\money are usually the root causes of the ones I am familiar with regarding airport employees or facilities, which is a temporary issue so long as you keep working at it. Very sad that these people get to a place where they can no longer bet on themselves and don't see a better future.

Yeah, I'd actually heard the airport commission here state the same. An airport is one of the best combos of accessibility to high ledges and knowing that your next of kin will promptly know what happened vs disappearing into the woods or waiting to be considered missing. Also as the roof floors of airport garages are not usually crowded\populated, I'd speculate myself that people feel they won't be stopped and can be alone\at peace doing it there.

Oh Delta, how is this a thing?!

This needs to be dismissed

It likely will be. She'll have to demonstrate evidence that Unifi was culpable, and that's unlikely based on everything I've read.

"Intentional" seems to be pretty obviously outside the scope of this particular circumstance, but I suspect that this will not deter the resolute hordes of Legal Beagles.

"Intentional" seems to be pretty obviously outside the scope of this particular circumstance, but I suspect that this will not deter the resolute hordes of Legal Beagles.
I sure hope not. The Legal Beagles are, by and large, all we've got left. And... beagles have the best noses for bunkum I've ever witnessed personally, I've raised 5 of 'em. Great dawgs. If they were humans and could go to "Law School", they would sniff out the BS better than any lawyer you've ever laid eyes on.

I think a month or so ago marked the 7th aviator I've known or been loosely acquainted with in the Navy, who has resorted to suicide. Always the same story, nobody had any idea. The ones I knew most closely, the first jumped off the 3rd story roof of the BOQ in Fallon, and the other committed a quadruple murder/suicide. The latter was a guy I had lunch with, among a couple other friends (one who was a resident of the same house, but away for the holidays, and another who was supposed to be there that night but got sick), the day before I moved to the east coast from miramar/SD.......it all went down a few weeks later. It's wild how hidden people can keep these things.

I think a month or so ago marked the 7th aviator I've known or been loosely acquainted with in the Navy, who has resorted to suicide. Always the same story, nobody had any idea. The ones I knew most closely, the first jumped off the 3rd story roof of the BOQ in Fallon, and the other committed a quadruple murder/suicide. The latter was a guy I had lunch with, among a couple other friends (one who was a resident of the same house, but away for the holidays, and another who was supposed to be there that night but got sick), the day before I moved to the east coast from miramar/SD.......it all went down a few weeks later. It's wild how hidden people can keep these things.

One of the three total female pilots who flew the F-117, all of whom were in my squadron, sadly took her own life a few weeks ago. No one saw it coming. Sad and unfortunate.

Suicide is a jerk (I'd use stronger language that more appropriately expresses my emotion but Derg has set rules that keep this place acceptable to the internet overlords.), I think I've posted about my brother offing himself on this board, look it up. I can only say it came out of nowhere and the effect it's had on my family continues to resonate. After 6 years I guess my most important take away is psychotropic drugs are casually prescribed and not rigorously monitored. 2023, ain't it grand?

Aviation mental health is stuck in the 1950s. I don’t know what we really expect.

Back