Asiana to be put on time-out?

Slam dunk into SFO? Height wasn't their problem, lack of height was...

Yeah, but if they hadn't been high in the first place, they wouldn't have then gotten low and probably would have managed to land the airplane on, rather than before, the runway. Or so goes the tortured logic of the Experts.

Yeah, but if they hadn't been high in the first place, they wouldn't have then gotten low and probably would have managed to land the airplane on, rather than before, the runway. Or so goes the tortured logic of the Experts.
Hehe, I wish I could set it up for you in the sim with a FLCH and you might see how they did it. I know the MU-2 force in you would come screaming back and you'd say something like "Wait, wtf is it doing?" Then slam levers around until something good happened. That crew missed that last part.

Beyond side note right now but your avatar brings me to a conversation I just had with someone I was just flying with. Stay with me on this one, if the Empire just let Grand Moff Tarkin run the original Death Star, wouldn't the Empire be better off? The man completed a full Death Star while in Episode VI, the Emporer and Vader built a 1/2 Death Star. Comments.

Well, I mean, obviously a chilly English Aristocrat would have made the sausage, old boy, by whatever means necessary, what, hmm?

I mean, honestly, picture whatever brat played Annie Skywalker vs. Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun. The little whiny yank leaves the room in a bag, transcendent nonsense be damned.

Beyond side note right now but your avatar brings me to a conversation I just had with someone I was just flying with. Stay with me on this one, if the Empire just let Grand Moff Tarkin run the original Death Star, wouldn't the Empire be better off? The man completed a full Death Star while in Episode VI, the Emporer and Vader built a 1/2 Death Star. Comments.

Well my issue here is, that Anakin is a complete sociopath. His drive is power, profit and reward. And he presents with a total lack of regard for others. He is the second in command of the Empire, behind the Emperor. But yet in Star Wars, he seems to play a subservient role to Grand Mal. They corrected this in the corresponding sequels, but still... pet peeve!

Grand Mal. Ah, yes, you are pleased to be jocose, one imagines. I do SO like to think that I cause seizures, but the title, in point of fact, is Grand Moff. See that you do not forget it again. Honestly, where do we find these people?

Now, where are the battle plans for mopping up the stragglers on Hoth? Must I do everything myself?

Grand Mal. Ah, yes, you are pleased to be humorous, one imagines. I do SO like to think that I cause seizures, but the title, in point of fact, is Grand Moff. See that you do not forget it again. Honestly, where do we find these people?

Now, where are the battle plans for mopping up the stragglers on Hoth? Must I do everything myself?

All I read was blah, blah, blah... you knew what I meant! :)

Soooo... why was Vadar Grad Moff's biaatch in a New Hope?

I need answers.

Alright alright alright. If we're going to geek out here I'm going to be damned if I'm left out.
There was an enormous brain drain caused by the first Death Star explosion. If I remember the books right, they'd gone ahead with the second build on an accelerated time line (Refrencing Kevin J Anderson's timeline I believe), but the setbacks were rebel sabatoge. With all that said, Tarkin ran a tight ship and never would have been so far behind.
Well, I mean, obviously a chilly English Aristocrat would have made the sausage, old boy, by whatever means necessary, what, hmm?
Agreed
Well my issue here is, that Anakin is a complete sociopath. His drive is power, profit and reward. And he presents with a total lack of regard for others. He is the second in command of the Empire, behind the Emperor. But yet in Star Wars, he seems to play a subservient role to Grand Mal. They corrected this in the corresponding sequels, but still... pet peeve!
You mean grand Moff?

Think of it this way, the Moff might be to the Sith what the master gunner sergeant is to the officer cadre. Yes, the Major General outranks him, but no one scoffs if he salutes the old Sergeant.

Think of it this way, the Moff might be to the Sith what the master gunner sergeant is to the officer cadre. Yes, the Major General outranks him, but no one scoffs if he salutes the old Sergeant.

I rather suspect that you're more versed in the uh "sort-of-canonical" aspects of the Universe Lucas licensed out to every cat-catcher and chimneysweep who could cough up $10. Not interested in that. But strictly from the movies, I would suggest that the relationship was something more like the Reich Chancellery or maybe the Kriegsmarine to the SS. That is, one was closer to the Fuhrer, certainly, but there were political necessities at work, as well. I think of Grand Moff Tarkin as the Karl Doenitz of the Galactic Empire to Darth Vader's Himmler. Wait, strike that, Vader isn't Himmler, he's freaking Reinhardt Heydrich.

It's also possible that I'm over-thinking this, a bit.

Alright alright alright. If we're going to geek out here I'm going to be damned if I'm left out.

There was an enormous brain drain caused by the first Death Star explosion. If I remember the books right, they'd gone ahead with the second build on an accelerated time line (Refrencing Kevin J Anderson's timeline I believe), but the setbacks were rebel sabatoge. With all that said, Tarkin ran a tight ship and never would have been so far behind.

Agreed

You mean grand Moff?

We've been... I've been waiting for you...

I rather suspect that you're more versed in the uh "sort-of-canonical" aspects of the Universe Lucas licensed out to every cat-catcher and chimneysweep who could cough up $10. Not interested in that. But strictly from the movies, I would suggest that the relationship was something more like the Reich Chancellery or maybe the Kriegsmarine to the SS. That is, one was closer to the Fuhrer, certainly, but there were political necessities at work, as well. I think of Grand Moff Tarkin as the Karl Doenitz of the Galactic Empire to Darth Vader's Himmler. Wait, strike that, Vader isn't Himmler, he's freaking Reinhardt Heydrich.

It's also possible that I'm over-thinking this, a bit.
Well the political underpinnings are a bit obfuscated from me. It's highly unlikely G. Lucas worried about continuity and I have to rely on the other books to fill in the stupidity.

Just to tickle your fancy, any idea why they built the Death Star, never mind two? It doesn't actually fit very well into the story if you debate it around a fire sometime. One of the authors (never read the book) filled that bit of missing mortar too. I don't know how the execution worked out, but the idea is entrapping and rears it's head some 25 or more years later after "the events of Yavin". I think google will tell you unless you need me to givittoyastraight.

I hoped I could find it quickly online and failed. Rather than tease here goes: There's a race from a distance, distant galaxy which attacks a planet at the microbial level and infects and infests a planet at a time. The Rebels, turned legit, then have to find out 25 years after the fact, after abandoning and shunning the Tarkin Doctrin, that they have to build a stupid star destroyer to kill an infected planet. Miserable situation. Fun to mull over though!

*captain flies away*

Oh, and worst part, 25 years later everyone realizes that for all his machevillian and sinister actions, the Emperor was trying to defend them from the greatest threat to the future anyone had ever seen.

That also helps bridge the discussion in some books about if the Sith were really evil, or just adamant about doing things "their way" to move humanity forward and damn the cost to lives. Like Paul Atreides annihilating 90 something planet to keep the rest of the universe in line to deal with the return of the robots in book six (unfinished by Herbet and his son made a book with KJA akin to a finger painting next to Gernica). (Atreides quest was mostly fulfilled by his son Leto II and then his own clones in the never completed book 6... which I'm suppose to admit that his son took his notes and made the book but I won't. He did something but the cliffnotes are fine.)

Last edited:
It's highly unlikely G. Lucas worried about continuity and I have to rely on the other books to fill in the stupidity.

Dunno whether it was Lucas or who, but the hierarchies and even the hint of competition within/amongst those hierarchies are present-bordering-on-obvious in the first 3 (particularly the first 2). I think the SS vs. Kriegsmarine analogy isn't that fantastical. At first Vader is this sort of like feared-but-tolerated weirdo who the line officers sort of roll their eyes at behind his back but, you know, it's an Empire, and an Empire is necessary for Galactic Ordung and if you have an Empire you have an Emperor and what he says goes and he likes this guy, so, like, OKAY I GUESS. But then he starts killing off POWs and that's distasteful, yeah, but we're talking about a war for civilization so, you know, OK...I suppose. Hey, plus, do YOU want to be the one to say something about it? Then before you know it he's mind-UFCing anyone who says "uh, that's not really cool" and there you are...1945 on the Ostfront. The insufficiently aggressive units will be encouraged by the summary execution of their insufficiently aggressive junior officers and NCOs.

I mean, yeah, Lucas has turned out to be a sort of giant roll of fat with a liquid-filled nubbin where his brain should be, but I think that's drug abuse in his later years. Or maybe dementia. Star Wars was definitely B-grade, and the sets were pretty bad, and let's be honest...some of the casting wasn't so great...but it wasn't actually stupid, AFAICT.

Whereas the uh "licensed" books? Dude, they're bad. Really bad.

Dunno whether it was Lucas or who, but the hierarchies and even the hint of competition within/amongst those hierarchies are present-bordering-on-obvious in the first 3 (particularly the first 2). I think the SS vs. Kriegsmarine analogy isn't that fantastical. At first Vader is this sort of like feared-but-tolerated weirdo who the line officers sort of roll their eyes at behind his back but, you know, it's an Empire, and an Empire is necessary for Galactic Ordung and if you have an Empire you have an Emperor and what he says goes and he likes this guy, so, like, OKAY I GUESS. But then he starts killing off POWs and that's distasteful, yeah, but we're talking about a war for civilization so, you know, OK...I suppose. Hey, plus, do YOU want to be the one to say something about it? Then before you know it he's mind-UFCing anyone who says "uh, that's not really cool" and there you are...1945 on the Ostfront. The insufficiently aggressive units will be encouraged by the summary execution of their insufficiently aggressive junior officers and NCOs.

I mean, yeah, Lucas has turned out to be a sort of giant roll of fat with a liquid-filled nubbin where his brain should be, but I think that's drug abuse in his later years. Or maybe dementia. Star Wars was definitely B-grade, and the sets were pretty bad, and let's be honest...some of the casting wasn't so great...but it wasn't actually stupid, AFAICT.

Whereas the uh "licensed" books? Dude, they're bad. Really bad.
Eh, I can see where you're coming from on the movie stuff. It just seems like,to me, the best is outside the movie. I haven't read the books since before college so keep in mind I'm going off memory and it's been a while so no cracks about reading YA fiction. Basically I read Dune and my SW world was shattered when I realized G. Lucas cribbed everything from Herbert, Foundations (HBO series I txted you about) is the only thing out there for me. Asimov is my new idol, SW and GL is the old.

Besides, how can you not love a guy that writes about himself like this:
" Isaac Asimov was born in the Soviet Union to his great surprise. He moved quickly to correct the situation. When his parents emigrated to the United States, Isaac (three years old at the time) stowed away in their baggage. He has been an American citizen since the age of eight.

Brought up in Brooklyn, and educated in its public schools, he eventually found his way to Columbia University and, over the protests of the school administration, managed to annex a series of degrees in chemistry, up to and including a Ph.D. He then infiltrated Boston University and climbed the academic ladder, ignoring all cries of outrage, until he found himself Professor of Biochemistry.

Meanwhile, at the age of nine, he found the love of his life (in the inanimate sense) when he discovered his first science-fiction magazine. By the time he was eleven, he began to write stories, and at eighteen, he actually worked up the nerve to submit one. It was rejected. After four long months of tribulation and suffering, he sold his first story and, thereafter, he has never looked back.

In 1941, when he was twenty-one years old, he wrote the classic short story "Nightfall" and his future was assured. Shortly before that he had begun writing his robot stories, and shortly after that he had begun his Foundation series.

What was left except quantity? At the present time, he has published over 340 books, distributed through every major division of the Dewey system of library classification, and shows no sign of slowing up. He remains as youthful, as lively, and as lovable as ever, and grows more handsome with each year. You can be sure that this is so since he has written this little essay himself and his devotion to absolute objectivity is notorious."

I have my notions about Asimov (mostly positive), but if you're interested in that sort of place/era/uh, what, gestalt?...check out The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It's hard to imagine that Asimov wasn't in some way an inspiration. It's also a really good book. Although not science fiction, I hasten to add.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Adventures-Kavalier-Clay/dp/1480537209

PS. Pulitzer! This is not my best friend's self-published crap!

Back