AS application question-employment history

The problem is how we do vacancies and reductions...it fulfills a reduction and they’re not back filled. But then the displacements are pretty much the most junior guys. They lose their seats and/or base.

What is this "we" you speak of? I didn't get to vote for this.

You notice the bottom of the list junior guys are getting ping pong'd around with each of these displacements. Guppy LAX to 320 LAX to SFO, etc. Their heads must be spinning because they've only been hiring eager beaver PNW types who wanted nothing to do with "down south" anyway.

Tighten up that scope!

Yeah the blame solely lies with alaskan pilot group who thought it never important enough to have in a contract. They got their pensions and pulled the ladder up for everyone else. Kinda the epitome of boomer behavior!

Edit to add: Still hoping for a merger :p

Last edited:

You notice the bottom of the list junior guys are getting ping pong'd around with each of these displacements. Guppy LAX to 320 LAX to SFO, etc. Their heads must be spinning because they've only been hiring eager beaver PNW types who wanted nothing to do with "down south" anyway.

Yeah the blame solely lies with alaskan pilot group who thought it never important enough to have in a contract. They got their pensions and pulled the ladder up for everyone else. Kinda the epitome of boomer behavior!

I can only imagine the sour grapes when the "hometown airline" kool aid types get the shaft multiple times by Eskimo

I can only imagine the sour grapes when the "hometown airline" kool aid types get the shaft multiple times by Eskimo

Especially the ones that were sitting pretty senior in PDX at QX. I wonder how many years it will take them to once again drive to work. Such a bummer situation, hope it gets better soon

The rub is that there are SO MANY ways it could be better but the natives just have no desire to change it or simply don't give an eff.
Ah the benefit of an outside perspective.

By how “we” do vacancies I mean the contract. This is one area I don’t think we have much leg to stand on - we had no contract at VX. We get what AS had.

Last edited:
Horizon is hiring because we outsourced most of our flying to them and SKYW.

I hear the earnings call at SKYW was pretty solid... we are doing them a solid by outsourcing so much flying to them.

But as for mainline I expect to be on the street by the third quarter of next year. If things with the pandemic don’t improve by more than 1% per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well basically all of that is depressing isn't it? Sorry to hear it. Good for Skywest I guesss.

Well basically all of that is depressing isn't it? Sorry to hear it. Good for Skywest I guesss.

Sorry for the bad news. I sincerely hope things turn around but as always: I recommend finding another career outside of aviation. If you do choose aviation choose 121. If you choose 121 choose the biggest base for the company that employs you and live there so you don't commute. Generally choose the most jr base and jr airframe.

Not saying that for just you per say but for everyone trying to get hired at a pilot job for the next 10 years or so...

....already did. But maybe one day 121 hiring will be a thing again.
Oh, it will be.

I think the immediate- to near- or intermediate-term future sucKs with a capital K, and that everyone had better be content where they are—or worse—for a while. And the speed at which the telegraph went from “ahead flank” to “back emergency” is going to give us a LOT of whiplash. BUT, the long-term outlook remains to me fundamentally positive.

As has been the case for a while now, though, the virus is in charge; mitigation efforts help, but the only way to a “normal” economy is to suppress it. Which, given how poorly we’ve done in the States, is not going to happen until a vaccine arrives AND is distributed AND that assumes there’s any economic activity left for people to buy airline tickets—I mean other than the $9 kind...—with.

Edit/note: this isn’t really the venue to have arguments over the actual risks of catching SARS-CoV-2 on an airplane, incidentally. Apparently those odds (which are low) don’t matter one damn bit to the flying public as evinced by the low TSA throughput; this, combined with the lack of things to do (safely, or otherwise) upon arrival makes the journey not worth it.

Oh, it will be.

I think the immediate- to near- or intermediate-term future sucKs with a capital K, and that everyone had better be content where they are—or worse—for a while. And the speed at which the telegraph went from “ahead flank” to “back emergency” is going to give us a LOT of whiplash. BUT, the long-term outlook remains to me fundamentally positive.

As has been the case for a while now, though, the virus is in charge; mitigation efforts help, but the only way to a “normal” economy is to suppress it. Which, given how poorly we’ve done in the States, is not going to happen until a vaccine arrives AND is distributed AND that assumes there’s any economic activity left for people to buy airline tickets—I mean other than the $9 kind...—with.

Edit/note: this isn’t really the venue to have arguments over the actual risks of catching SARS-CoV-2 on an airplane, incidentally. Apparently those odds (which are low) don’t matter one damn bit to the flying public as evinced by the low TSA throughput; this, combined with the lack of things to do (safely, or otherwise) upon arrival makes the journey not worth it.

TSA numbers are trending from barely recovering to bad. Election is undecided and there is a whole lot that can go wrong with that. Things could get really, really bad for passenger airlines next year. Like gone for good bad for at least a few of the players.

TSA numbers are trending from barely recovering to bad. Election is undecided and there is a whole lot that can go wrong with that. Things could get really, really bad for passenger airlines next year. Like gone for good bad for at least a few of the players.
Yeah I think you’re right. Numbers will probably stay where they are now for the next six months and for a lotta the big boys that means big reductions to stay afloat.

5712A2B9-9917-46CD-892C-6650834A9843.jpeg

I've been in training over 2 months, haven't heard any rumors.

But it wouldn't be surprising. The third wave is here and people fear air on airplanes. AA pulled out 100,000 flights for December and demand in general just didn't go up as they thought it would for holiday travel.

They could have had another 12% of us out right now. But they wouldn’t let us take the EIL.

Now the second wave that everyone was predicting is here and it’s time to make some cuts.

They could have had another 12% of us out right now. But they wouldn’t let us take the EIL.

Now the second wave that everyone was predicting is here and it’s time to make some cuts.

At what point will people realize that airplanes aren't some rampant breeding ground of Covid19? At this point the fear mongering hasn't gotten to people.

Most people do not fear the airplane ride. Those recent studies have proven that the flying part is the safest part of the trip. There are simply few places to travel to, and the ones which you can have a bunch of hoops for you to jump through.

Hawaii, for example, requires a negative covid test at your expense (~$130) within 72 hours of arrival. This is hard enough for an individual. Imagine making that work for an entire family. There is a lot of financial risk (flights, hotels, entertainment, etc.) if you have to cancel a trip a day before because someone tests positive. Its a lot easier for people to say "let's just go when this covid thing is under control."

All of this not to mention Americans are blacklisted abroad. I like to solo travel and I currently have the time to do so. But I'm stuck at home because our one term failure of a president handled this worse than anyone could possibly imagine.

Back