Any charters DH/repo LA area to DFW Sunday or Monday?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
I live in Norfolk. I train in Dallas. I didn't show up for my first day of work in Dallas. I drove to the airport in Norfolk and rode on an airline to Dallas; the ticket being paid for by the company.

DE727UPS said:
The whole premise of the thread was some guy looking for a free ride to his domicile to start initial. I drove my car. But I'd love to hear those who attacked the guy to tell us of their first job and by what means they showed up to day one. What company buys you a damn ticket to your first day of work? It's silly. You show up where the job is on day one.

Ok.

You are well tuned into the industry, but it's been a looooooong time since you started initial so a lot has changed. Even a lower tier regional such as Colgan provided positive space to training.

DE727UPS said:
He has a cause? His personal attacks to users here are what I notice. Not his cause...whatever that is....

So you are saying one should respect someone who writes a long dissertation on why they are going to scab?

The whole premise of the thread was some guy looking for a free ride to his domicile to start initial. I drove my car. But I'd love to hear those who attacked the guy to tell us of their first job and by what means they showed up to day one. What company buys you a damn ticket to your first day of work? It's silly. You show up where the job is on day one.
IF DFW is his domicile and that is where is initial training is then I can see where he'd want a free ride and I'd gladly apologize for my attack.
If he lives in Cali and is going to recurrent training in DFW and wants to save the boss money by catching a ride, as I understood it, then that's where my beef is.

My first 121 job did, not sure on the 2nd since I live where training is @amorris311 ? The flight school I taught at bought tickets for new hires if they lived out of state too. Well, actually, they did before the son took over and went on the cheap but thats another story

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. When I was at XJT they positive spaced me to an from my interview, initial, and recurrent training that was in IAH. I live in SoCal. Now, when there was a recurrent ground school at your current base, you had to get there on your own, but jump seating was available. For instance I commuted to EWR and if a class was held there it was up to me to be in base for the start of class. Is this what you are describing above? I'm guessing for your sim training they positive space you to the training center?

Also at my current part 91 job, it's absolutely up to the company to get us to and from recurrent and cover all meals and hotels while there. We'll save the boss cash in other ways, like fuel prices, landing fees etc, but that's our job. I can see if a company was hiring locals only and you talked them into an interview, I don't think it would be out of the question to pay your own way to interview. However, if I'm based in LGB and the only choices in training are TUS, ICT or DAL, that's an expanse the company pays.

PositionAndHold said:
I'm a little confused. When I was at XJT they positive spaced me to an from my interview, initial, and recurrent training that was in IAH. I live in SoCal. Now, when there was a recurrent ground school at your current base, you had to get there on your own, but jump seating was available. For instance I commuted to EWR and if a class was held there it was up to me to be in base for the start of class. Is this what you are describing above? I'm guessing for your sim training they positive space you to the training center?

Also at my current part 91 job, it's absolutely up to the company to get us to and from recurrent and cover all meals and hotels while there. We'll save the boss cash in other ways, like fuel prices, landing fees etc, but that's our job. I can see if a company was hiring locals only and you talked them into an interview, I don't think it would be out of the question to pay your own way to interview. However, if I'm based in LGB and the only choices in training are TUS, ICT or DAL, that's an expanse the company pays.

Even Sliver HK'd us to training and back, be it initial or recurrent. That's saying something!

I was looking at this simply from the standpoint of an initial hire. Looking back the OP doesn't really say. Again, I don't expect an employer to pay for my relocation or transportation to an initial domicile. Doesn't seem right to me and it's not even in the contract. You wanna work here, then show up. Once you are on the list at date of hire, then it's another story.

I was looking at this simply from the standpoint of an initial hire. Looking back the OP doesn't really say. Again, I don't expect an employer to pay for my relocation or transportation to an initial domicile. Doesn't seem right to me and it's not even in the contract. You wanna work here, then show up. Once you are on the list at date of hire, then it's another story.

Uhhhh it's pretty clear to me. He's in the LA area and needs a ride to DFW for training. What's so complicated about what he is asking? This isn't relocation to another base, this isn't making your way to an interview, this is the poor guy looking to bum a ride to go to recurrent training.... It's downright sad. To even feel that you have to ask is horrible. The OP also posted a job in the members forum, calling it a reputable company. If it is the same company he works for I have my doubts. I am all for saving the company I work for, money where I can. I do that by looking at fuel prices, getting handling/parking fees waived by purchasing fuel, booking hotels and rental cars through Priceline etc. It is totally a totally unacceptable notion to have a pilot try and hitch a ride. I would be upset if I was managing, or the owner of a truly reputable company, and found out one of my employees felt the need to post this. It makes the company look bad, and it sets a bad precident.

You know his stance...or what it was at the time, and god knows you've made yours clear. How about letting it go?

Somebody giving scabbing a big old thumbs up isn't something you let go. Ever.

As far as the OP... I'm kind of split on the issue. If it's recurrent training and it's NOT being done in domicile or he's home based then the company damn well should be ponying up the money for a ticket. If it's being done in domicile (and he just doesn't live there), then eh... I can't see the harm in asking... although in that case, how does he normally get to work. If it's initial I think it would be ok. Not all companies (even some of the really, really good ones) give you a ticket to your class date or interviews.

A note on this whole idiotic scabbing thing: If someone crossed a picket line or worked struck work; then they merit the title. If they were thinking of it, mulling it, whatever, but never actually did it, then the term doesn't apply.

So figure out which one it is. That is all.

The Internet Police have got this one, Citizens. Please return to your homes, nothing to see here.

No, seriously. Return to your homes, or you'll be on the Blacklist, too! If you think thumbing a ride is a Felony, wait till you see what we charge you with for ABETTING THE THUMBING OF A RIDE! That's basically Turrism.

A note on this whole idiotic scabbing thing: If someone crossed a picket line or worked struck work; then they merit the title. If they were thinking of it, mulling it, whatever, but never actually did it, then the term doesn't apply.

So figure out which one it is. That is all.

What term are you referring to?

What term are you referring to?

I think he might be referring to the dreaded internet-phenomenon of "scab-creep". Wherein everything anyone does that someone else doesn't like suddenly becomes "scabbing". Which, it turns out, has a very clear and succinct definition. To wit, "crossing a picket line".

Even as a customer service and ramp agent at a regional, I was flown positive space to all training at other locations with per diem, travel pay, and lodging. This included my inital pre-hire training in Salt Lake City. If you're living in LA, but based in DFW commuting by choice, then have training in DFW, obviously the company shouldn't be expected to buy a ticket. But if that is not the case, and training is away from base, I can't imagine a company not coming forward to pay for it.

Either way, this stuff cray, in before the lock.

Back