Another Reason Pilot Pay is Low

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
******************************************************************************** ** Report created 9/20/2010 Record 6 ** ******************************************************************************** IDENTIFICATION Regis#: 510PS Make/Model: C510 Description: CESSNA 510 Date: 09/18/2010 Time: 2325 Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N Damage: Substantial LOCATION City: UPLAND State: CA Country: US DESCRIPTION AIRCRAFT WHILE PARKED, ROLLED INTO A PARKED AIRCRAFT AND A RETAINING WALL, UPLAND, CA INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0 # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: # Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: WEATHER: NOT REPORTED OTHER DATA Activity: Unknown Phase: Standing Operation: OTHER FAA FSDO: RIVERSIDE, CA (WP21) Entry date: 09/20/2010

524420.jpg

How does that tie into the pay rate of pilots?

Unless you are inferring that any monkey can call himself "pilot". In that case, I agree. Several times I've seen planes roll across the ramp. Several have involved 'professional' crews. One time was a tour operator who replied with a nonchalant, So? when I told them their plane was rolling towards a USCG helo and a corp jet. Turns out they had set their parking brake and called it good. In the high heat of the day it didn't take long before the brakes were ineffective.

How does that tie into the pay rate of pilots?

Unless you are inferring that any monkey can call himself "pilot". In that case, I agree. Several times I've seen planes roll across the ramp. Several have involved 'professional' crews. One time was a tour operator who replied with a nonchalant, So? when I told them their plane was rolling towards a USCG helo and a corp jet. Turns out they had set their parking brake and called it good. In the high heat of the day it didn't take long before the brakes were ineffective.

On what airplane? That's the worst designed brake system I've ever heard of.

Cessna.

But that doesn't matter and it really isn't relevant to my point unless that no matter what type system, the pilot should know the system including it's limitations. But in this case, that would mean the monkey would need to know a bit about hyd fluids. And it seems thats too much to ask.

Frank, the report says the plane rolled into a retaining wall. It also says this is at Upland. Would that be CCB or POC? If POC, I don't recall any wall at that airport. Unless maybe up by the mx hanger. In that case, and because the accident occurred at 2330, I'm wondering if the plane was in the care of the mech a nick. I wonder if the yard boy may have towed the plane into position and left it without chocking.

That would have been some morning the next day. A drop-your-coffee holy crap! kinda day.

Because they can't take care of a multi-million dollar piece of equipment in their charge?

Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken a jet into an FBO?

They're adamant about reminding you to NOT set the brakes. This is so they can move the airplane if needed.

I don't see how the damage to the airplane in question is directly the "fault" of the pilots, given the small amount of information provided in your quote.

They're adamant about reminding you to NOT set the brakes. This is so they can move the airplane if needed.

I don't see how the damage to the airplane in question is directly the "fault" of the pilots, given the small amount of information provided in your quote.

This.

We had a crew leave the brakes on once in a light jet and it was a nightmare because we had to park things around it, instead of being able to just move it. I'd say SOP for parking is to leave the parking brake off.

Ahhh, you might want to do a little research on Cable Airport. At the very least it's a chock yourself kind of place.

Most heavier airplanes hold their parking brake with hydraulic fluid. Once the plane is powered down and the pumps are no longer pressurizing the system there is nothing to hold the brakes in place. Some aircraft use an accumulator that is pressurized with nitrogen or something similar to hold pressure on just the parking brake for a longer period of time but eventually even that system will bleed down and you'll have no brakes.

On the CRJ the accumulator for the inboard brakes holds the parking brake in place and even with a freshly charged accumulator you won't get more than 30 or 40 minutes of parking brake out of it. That's why the plane always needs to be chalked when sitting with the hydraulics off.

Back