Ameriflight 208

If the payload of an aircraft is under 12,899 lbs then it doesn't violate the scope clause. Don't ask me where that number came from. I was just looking at scope section and it seemed to be pretty dated. There could be up to 12 Convair's contracted without violating scope, as well. Maybe Amflight should look into Convair's. Here's one I used to fly.

Attachments

• 1171453.jpg
    1171453.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 164
Scope is a good thing. Not arguing against it.

No it's basically just like mainline scope. I'm sure UPS would love to have the guys who make peanuts fly more work though.

I'm not talking about UPS. I was saying to possibly use them with DHL. Does the UPS scope somehow dictate what AMF can fly for DHL?

Scope is a good thing. Not arguing against it.

I'm not talking about UPS. I was saying to possibly use them with DHL. Does the UPS scope somehow dictate what AMF can fly for DHL?

No, but then those aircraft then could only be used for DHL or ad hoc. It would severely limit the utility of the aircraft for us. If DHL runs went away and if the scope with UPS or FedEx didn't change we'd be stuck with aircraft we couldn't use.

Unless AMF wants to run the gammut for a 121 certificate, and go through all of the items that 121 entails it will not happen. Unless there is a market shift that drives the need to minimize the small feeder aircraft (like the new 121 duty times being carried over to 135 ops), I doubt we will see things shift away from the current business model.

Unless AMF wants to run the gammut for a 121 certificate, and go through all of the items that 121 entails it will not happen. Unless there is a market shift that drives the need to minimize the small feeder aircraft (like the new 121 duty times being carried over to 135 ops), I doubt we will see things shift away from the current business model.

Good point Mr. Program manager.

-Your favorite ONT Metro training captain

The 208 is only cheaper than the Chieftain if you are using Cessna's marketing numbers. :)

I flew both the Chief and the Van at my last job. According to them at the time, (a little over a year ago) the Chief was IIRC about 15cents/mile more to operate than the Van. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of either aircraft but purely economically speaking, the Van makes so much more sense. For one, they are still in production, so parts and support are readily available. Two, they burn significantly less gas, and only from one engine, which has about about twice the TBO as a comparable piston engine. The Van can also carry about twice as much cargo (3,500# vs. about 1,800# max in the ol' Chiefareno). Besides, aren't most of those Amflight runs out and backs? I wouldn't think speed would be a major concern on most of those routes.

I always figured you guys had a 121 cert for the bro's, doesn't 135 weight restrict them?

I always figured you guys had a 121 cert for the bro's, doesn't 135 weight restrict them?
Yep. They're really limited out of DFW in the summer supposedly anyway, so it doesn't work out to bad for them - at least that's the koolaide we get at the competition. Also, Alaska Central Express had a Brasilia for a few years until they crashed it.

Not really I just pulled it out of my ass. So when is your class date at Allegiant? Nobody believes that AMF pilots go right to majors.

Still TBD. Talk is mid-late summer. Looks like the MD80 for now. Although the 757, I heard from my friends at the company, went really junior on the FO side.

Really excited to start soon.

New duty times don't apply to an all-cargo 121 airline. You could get a small Dash-8 (-100 or -200) or a ATR-42 and still be under the scope limits if UPS doesn't consider fuel part of the payload.

Still TBD. Talk is mid-late summer. Looks like the MD80 for now. Although the 757, I heard from my friends at the company, went really junior on the FO side.

Really excited to start soon.

Congrats!! If you want the 757 it may be possible as it went more junior than me and I was hired a year ago, if there is anything I can do to help you out let me know!

They could argue Allegiant is only a national carrier.

They could definitely argue that. Honestly, with all the turmoil at the majors I have no desire to be at a major right now. But, with the selection of crew bases, schedule, benefits, and equipment they fly I choose them over any of the majors to fly for.
I've always wanted to fly the MD80 and/or the 757, their trips involve no overnights (unless you're doing a charter), and they've stayed profitable and stable through a recession.
We've had a number of AMF pilots go directly to Allegiant and they seem to like it there.
The problem with AMF pilots going to the majors is mostly a networking issue. We have a very small pilot group, 170-200 pilots at any given time, so by running the numbers of all professional pilots the chances of an AMF pilot getting directly hired is a small fraction. It does happen, but when I junpseat it's amazing how many ex AMFers went to a regional, LCC, etc. for a short period of time before getting picked up by the airline that they wanted ( SWA is a good example).

I know a guy who went FLX > Mesa > Allegiant in the space of about a year. C/A on the MD-80 now and last time I talked to him, happier than a pig in poo. Think you made a good move.

Back