Ameriflight 208

And in reality, those 10-15mins must matter a lot, otherwise why is anyone FLYING freight when you can drive it in just 30ish mins more.
It absolutely does - there are certain runs that a van can't cover. Its not a matter of whether a 99 can get the cargo there 5 min faster than a van, its the fact that it can get it there on time, and make service :D

And in reality, those 10-15mins must matter a lot
1 minute means a lot to some UPS people. I blocked in one minute late once and the manager walked up to my plane wondering why I was late and he didn't look happy. The delay was caused by UPS on the other end of the flight :rolleyes:

The 208 is only cheaper than the Chieftain if you are using Cessna's marketing numbers. :)
I'd be interested to see how the numbers work out over several years of operation.

Most 208 operators in AK operate the engine "on condition" so they can literally run them out to 8,000 hours or so with a hit section in the middle somewhere (I think). Compare that to 8 TIO-540 rebuilds (2 engines x 2,000 hour ish TBO over 8000 hours). That and the Van burns twice as much gas to go slower.

That said, it'll haul a lot more volume than the Navajo.

1 minute means a lot to some UPS people. I blocked in one minute late once and the manager walked up to my plane wondering why I was late and he didn't look happy. The delay was caused by UPS on the other end of the flight :rolleyes:
Truth. The run I'm doing now is only on time when everything goes exactly right and I land on the closest runway. Other than that all bets are off. Every night I'm giving dispatch reasons why I'm behind (late truck, vectors, headwinds, etc)

My route is only about 70 miles and if im late by 15 minutes or so my freight has a good chance of missing the jet to Louisville. No way a van could make it vs a 99. 200+ to the threshold.

300hr summer time, 350hr winter for the 208 fuel burn

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Ya on our DHL routes we couldn't possibly think about using a Van. The margins for the connecting flights are tight as it is.

Van with 900/850HP engine cruises pretty good... The 850HP is coming as a standard option from Cessna soon.

I'm pretty sure the 175kt redline on the caravan is due to the windshield.

Yup it's true. I heard from a check airman who was in Burbank that he saw the training program being written. Should be online by summer and replace most 99's that are in non mountainous areas. so we can expand more bases and start new bases for various customers. Also heard that Saab 340's being evaluated along with RJ's. Really it's true the check airman said so.

I'm probably the Check Airman you're referring to. ;-)

Yes, we are entertaining the idea of Caravans again because we are getting SOPs, flows, ground school, etc. being designed and created for it. As for Saab's and RJs...good luck; will never happen. That starts encroaching on the UPS pilot's contract of total freight being flown. Over a certain weight the cargo has to be flown by UPS pilots. That's why we will probably always be at the Brasilia as our biggest aircraft.

Similar to these regional/mainline contracts. I remember that if there was a an aircraft over 50 seats that Continental pilots had to fly it under the XJET contract.

I'm probably the Check Airman you're referring to. ;-)

Yes, we are entertaining the idea of Caravans again because we are getting SOPs, flows, ground school, etc. being designed and created for it. As for Saab's and RJs...good luck; will never happen. That starts encroaching on the UPS pilot's contract of total freight being flown. Over a certain weight the cargo has to be flown by UPS pilots. That's why we will probably always be at the Brasilia as our biggest aircraft.

DHL would likely be the customer. Would help knock out a bunch of the Shorts runs.

Realistically, I highly doubt we would see a Saab or RJ on AMF property.

DHL would likely be the customer. Would help knock out a bunch of the Shorts runs.

Realistically, I highly doubt we would see a Saab or RJ on AMF property.

Unless UPS pilot contracts change; we will never see anything bigger than a Brasilia.

Sitting and waiting for the T-38's to give you a hole is very fun indeed :sarcasm:
Are you kidding? That's the BEST! RVR800. Cowboy 1, cleared for takeoff. 15 secs later .... "RVR greater than 5000, POS freight aircraft cleared for takeoff!"

Back