AirNet Interview and Training

scott_l

AirNet has changed the way they interview and train. There really are not any current gouges out there so ill dish it out here so everyone can know. First of all, they are hiring. They need pilots bad so if you have 135 IFR minimums apply and expect a phone call. For those under 135 mins, they are hiring but you have to be close. I would say your chances are okay if you have >1000 TT.

THE INTERVIEW
AirNet has done away with flying people out to interview and instead just do two phone interviews. The first call they come right out and tell you what the job is and what to expect. 'Are you willing to relocate and fly single pilot, night IFR in single engine airplanes for $28,000 a year?' Will be the first thing they ask. If you have doubts to any of those be honest and tell them. They will work with you on base assignments. Also, just because they ask if you will fly a single engine airplane does not mean you will only be flying a 210. I have/will be qualified in the Baron, Caravan, and 210 by the end of this week. The rest is just getting to know you and your experience.
Once the first interview is out of the way they will call you back at a mutually agreed time and ask the typical interview questions. Of what I can remember, they ask:
Rate your instrument skills on a scale of 1-10
Rate your piloting ability on a scale of 1-10
What's yours greatest strength
What's your greatest weakness
What would your coworkers say about you at work
Explain the fuel system of the twin you have flown the most
Explain the gear system of the twin you have flown the most
What would you do to ensure gear are down and locked if a gear light was burnt out
How would you configure the airplane for an off airport landing assuming LIFR

After you finish answering all the questions they tell you if they want you to come to class or not. I was given a class date on the spot and they emailed me a packet of pre employment paperwork.

TRAINING
Before you head to class the Director of Training will send you some online learning that you have to complete before class. It's not bad and took me about 8 hours. You travel to Columbus, OH and are put up in a nice extended stay hotel the night before class starts. Indoc class starts around noon and ends at about 9 pm. You are given a per diem check the first day of class for food but do not go on the clock till you pass your check ride. The first day you fill out some more paperwork and have a interview with the security manager about past check ride failures and anything on your criminal record. Also, you will have to go and get fingerprinted. The rest of the week you spend 8 hours in class a day and then have the weekend off. Monday you will take a indoc test over what was taught and you have to pass. Oh, and there are daily quizzes about the previous day's material to make sure you are keeping up. Once you pass the indoc test, you will be assigned your first airplane, probably a 210. Aircraft ground depends in what airframe you are in. Once that is complete you start sim training. If I am to give anyone advice for coming to work at AirNet it is MAKE SURE YOUR IFR SKILLS ARE UP TO PAR. Get some Franca 142 time before you come to training and use the sim outside of your normal instructor time to practice. According to the instructors, about 40% of the people coming to class don't make it and most fail in the simulator. You are given ample time to be ready for stage checks and check rides and they really work with you to get you to where you need to be but, if you don't have a solid IFR foundation you will have a very hard time. Once you pass the sim check you move onto the airplane. I had one flight in the airplane before I went on my check ride and it was no big deal. They don't expect perfection but they want to see that you will be safe even when things get tough.
Past your check ride, you are officially hired and will be given a base assignment and possibly other airplanes. It seems things change quickly around here so don't feel like you are stuck in one base or one airplane. I started out thinking I was going to Omaha flying a 210 and now I will be flying a Caravan out of Charlotte.

When you finishing training, you will probably fly once with a current pilot for IOE then be sent out to fly a run. I was given one of the easiest runs out of Columbus to get my feet wet while finishing caravan training.

I hope this helps those curious about AirNet and feel free to ask me any questions that you may have on here or by pm. There are other Airnet pilots on this forum as well so I'm sure they can chime in.

Welcome to Charlotte. Lets meet up some time and tell me more about it....I'll buy the first round.

I am wanting to move home, and will be ready to make a jump in 6 months or so. This is some great info.

Last edited:
Welcome to Charlotte. Lets meet up some time and tell me more about it....I'll buy the first round.

I am wanting to move home, and will be ready to make a jump in 6 months or so. This is some great info.
Sounds like a plan. I'm temporarily based at lck until the caravan run is moved.

AirNet has changed the way they interview and train. There really are not any current gouges out there so ill dish it out here so everyone can know. First of all, they are hiring. They need pilots bad so if you have 135 IFR minimums apply and expect a phone call. For those under 135 mins, they are hiring but you have to be close. I would say your chances are okay if you have >1000 TT.

THE INTERVIEW
AirNet has done away with flying people out to interview and instead just do two phone interviews. The first call they come right out and tell you what the job is and what to expect. 'Are you willing to relocate and fly single pilot, night IFR in single engine airplanes for $28,000 a year?' Will be the first thing they ask. If you have doubts to any of those be honest and tell them. They will work with you on base assignments. Also, just because they ask if you will fly a single engine airplane does not mean you will only be flying a 210. I have/will be qualified in the Baron, Caravan, and 210 by the end of this week. The rest is just getting to know you and your experience.
Once the first interview is out of the way they will call you back at a mutually agreed time and ask the typical interview questions. Of what I can remember, they ask:
Rate your instrument skills on a scale of 1-10
Rate your piloting ability on a scale of 1-10
What's yours greatest strength
What's your greatest weakness
What would your coworkers say about you at work
Explain the fuel system of the twin you have flown the most
Explain the gear system of the twin you have flown the most
What would you do to ensure gear are down and locked if a gear light was burnt out
How would you configure the airplane for an off airport landing assuming LIFR

After you finish answering all the questions they tell you if they want you to come to class or not. I was given a class date on the spot and they emailed me a packet of pre employment paperwork.

TRAINING
Before you head to class the Director of Training will send you some online learning that you have to complete before class. It's not bad and took me about 8 hours. You travel to Columbus, OH and are put up in a nice extended stay hotel the night before class starts. Indoc class starts around noon and ends at about 9 pm. You are given a per diem check the first day of class for food but do not go on the clock till you pass your check ride. The first day you fill out some more paperwork and have a interview with the security manager about past check ride failures and anything on your criminal record. Also, you will have to go and get fingerprinted. The rest of the week you spend 8 hours in class a day and then have the weekend off. Monday you will take a indoc test over what was taught and you have to pass. Oh, and there are daily quizzes about the previous day's material to make sure you are keeping up. Once you pass the indoc test, you will be assigned your first airplane, probably a 210. Aircraft ground depends in what airframe you are in. Once that is complete you start sim training. If I am to give anyone advice for coming to work at AirNet it is MAKE SURE YOUR IFR SKILLS ARE UP TO PAR. Get some Franca 142 time before you come to training and use the sim outside of your normal instructor time to practice. According to the instructors, about 40% of the people coming to class don't make it and most fail in the simulator. You are given ample time to be ready for stage checks and check rides and they really work with you to get you to where you need to be but, if you don't have a solid IFR foundation you will have a very hard time. Once you pass the sim check you move onto the airplane. I had one flight in the airplane before I went on my check ride and it was no big deal. They don't expect perfection but they want to see that you will be safe even when things get tough.
Past your check ride, you are officially hired and will be given a base assignment and possibly other airplanes. It seems things change quickly around here so don't feel like you are stuck in one base or one airplane. I started out thinking I was going to Omaha flying a 210 and now I will be flying a Caravan out of Charlotte.

When you finishing training, you will probably fly once with a current pilot for IOE then be sent out to fly a run. I was given one of the easiest runs out of Columbus to get my feet wet while finishing caravan training.

I hope this helps those curious about AirNet and feel free to ask me any questions that you may have on here or by pm. There are other Airnet pilots on this forum as well so I'm sure they can chime in.

Great post! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the website says "no minimum flight time required to apply". Just curious, have they taken low timers for FO spots?

Great post! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the website says "no minimum flight time required to apply". Just curious, have they taken low timers for FO spots?
Talked to them yesterday about the same thing. They want 135 IFR mins at least.

They will take you if you are very close but don't expect to get more that 200 hours as an sic.

What are their bases exactly? I see locations on the website, but no indication of what's a base or not. Am I overlooking a page on there?

Back