Airline pilot central pay rates for United

Your Captain was right. The most important things for a Captain are pay rates and retirement. Scope is for junior pilots who are scared of furloughs, but with a proper flow thru agreement with flow back provisions as RJ Captains, the fear of furloughs can be mitigated.
A flow back to hell should not exist since hell should have never existed to begin with. Scope would have prevented hell from existing.

Scope is for people that care about mergers along with outsourcing. Any CA should be scared of a merger. Especially at a young LCC that could get swallowed by a big legacy in the future. Just ask the Airtran guys...

If you are senior you want $$$ and retirement. Sorry, but this "brotherhood" of pilots you talk about doesn't exist. Call it pulling up the ladder if you will, but privately, most senior pilots will agree with me.

I recently told a captain the most important thing in any contract was scope, and not rates.

He informed me I was young and short sighted.

"Five times five is twenty five!"

"So young and short-sighted"

If you are senior you want $$$ and retirement. Sorry, but this "brotherhood" of pilots you talk about doesn't exist. Call it pulling up the ladder if you will, but privately, most senior pilots will agree with me.

FC2498BF-9FE5-409D-A2B3-C2B8689DF9D2.jpeg

I'm pretty senior (6000 out of 14,000) and I don't agree with you.
This is great that you(royal you) see the negative side of top end scope. The more JV's and codeshares signed with loose language means the larger aircraft get parked. This leads to fewer high paying jobs and flexibility. Everyone on the seniority list and in the airline industry should be concerned with scope. It's not just RJ's!

Scope is for people that care about mergers along with outsourcing. Any CA should be scared of a merger. Especially at a young LCC that could get swallowed by a big legacy in the future. Just ask the Airtran guys...

We actually had excellent scope language, especially where merger protections were involved. The problem was that scope language isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on if the pilot group is too cowardly to enforce it, and their union leadership is too inept and inexperienced to lead them.

Your Captain was right. The most important things for a Captain are pay rates and retirement. Scope is for junior pilots who are scared of furloughs, but with a proper flow thru agreement with flow back provisions as RJ Captains, the fear of furloughs can be mitigated.

Haha. You're pretty funny when you're wrong.

That's very short sighted.

All kidding aside, we called that being a member of the '5 sandwich club' - it's a fundamental lack of education about the process, what seniority is, and looking at your contract as a whole rather than the just the shiny pay rates in section 3.

A '5 sandwich guy' sees 5 sandwiches and being the most senior pilot eats the first 3, plus takes the mayo from #4 and the tomatoes from #5. (Which is not how seniority works...)

Under a CBA - crafted by the goals of the pilot group through survey data, feedback, best practice, & MEC guidance - your 5 sandwiches will be big enough that with the 5 pilots - each will choose in seniority order. And mr. #1 should still have enough over so that his W2 and 401k aren't hurting. Along with the rising tide that raises all boats - and protects all the pilots through solid scope and work rules.

Pay rates and DC #'s are shiny... Shiny Pay Syndrome. (SPS)

Work rules and scope are where it's at. The devil is in the details....

The 'brotherhood of pilots' does exist and we are lowering the rope and learning from the mistakes of the past.

My opinion of course.

This is great that you(royal you) see the negative side of top end scope. The more JV's and codeshares signed with loose language means the larger aircraft get parked. This leads to fewer high paying jobs and flexibility. Everyone on the seniority list and in the airline industry should be concerned with scope. It's not just RJ's!

I certainly agree.

I'm sure you have the types that think "I'll trade protections from the ME3 in return for another 2%"

A flow back to hell should not exist since hell should have never existed to begin with. Scope would have prevented hell from existing.

I beg to differ. Based upon seggy and todds rabid rants about seniority integration, I relish that a Chicago based airline "swallow us up." I would be seggys captain.
(Assuming their points of view were taken).

The other ulcc: they're screwed at the worst possible screwing a screw could be screwed.

Again, all because of scope.

I beg to differ. Based upon seggy and todds rabid rants about seniority integration, I relish that a Chicago based airline "swallow us up." I would be seggys captain.
(Assuming their points of view were taken).

The other ulcc: they're screwed at the worst possible screwing a screw could be screwed.

Again, all because of scope.
with 5 or 10 year fences you probably wouldn't unless he bid across.

Back