Academy Tour

Well if the tour is anything like their dog and pony shows (seminars) its loaded with BS to the brim. And i can say that from experience, i've been to a "your future in aviation seminar"

[ QUOTE ]
Show me where I've knocked any academy besides PanAm, DCA, Gulfstream, TAB, and, Sierra a while back?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want I can look back and cite some examples. One example comes to mind, I'll find it if you really want me to. What I'm talking about here is the numerous times you've made snide remarks about "the big academies". The s making it plural, referring to all of them, not just PanAm, DCA, Gulfstream, TAB, and, Sierra. Again I can look it up, but I'd rather not take the time because you know you've said it.

If its only untruthful advertising that you have a problem with, why do you knock Sierra? I understand your problem with DCA, and any PFT program, but show me one piece of false advertising that Sierra pushes. I do not know one person who completed everything through CFII and did not get hired as an instructor. We do not make 300 Hr jet FOs, nor do we claim to. Our instructors also build about 1000 hours total, about 100 multi (at least that's what they have when they get hired by a regional) and plenty of actual instrument. They typically have four or five students each, enough to keep them plenty busy. Our program is top notch, period. We do not cater to what a student needs to know to pass the checkride, we cater to what they need to know to become one heluva good pilot. At my last checkride, the DE commented on how well the Sierra pilots know their stuff. As far as groundschool goes, I'd put the knowledge of the average Sierra trained private pilot against the knowlege of the average FBO trained commercial pilot any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and probably up against a few below average CFIs as well. Yes it is true the school has been through some rough times over the last year, but things are improving dramatically and we never once advertised that things were better than they were.

Now, I'm not trying to promote Sierra here, but I'm speaking up for one of the school's you've knocked in the past. I can't speak of the others you've mentioned because I have no first hand knowledge, but I suspect some of them may also be great places to train. Not all of the ads are BS. I'm sure some of it is, but you can't go saying that the a school pushes BS just because they have a full page ad in Flying Mag. When I toured Sierra, I was told to check out other schools, in particular FlightSafety, DCA (then Comair), and PanAm. If that is the pushy false advertising you are referring I'm not sure exactly what your expectations are.

I know your credentials, and I know you know the industry very well. But you've said many times that the academy route is not the best way for everybody. I don't disagree with you but what I am saying is that the same is true for the FBOs. The academies do offer advantages over the FBOs, the disadvantage is cost. You may be of the opinion that the advantages are not worth the cost and that's fine, but to other people it might be worth it, and its up to them to decide.

"The academies do offer advantages over the FBOs"

Like what?

My friend just got on an Amflight with 1202 and 50 multi for the PA31 at BFI. Turbine PIC in six months. 2.5 years from Commerical SE to Turbine PIC. Can you do that at Serria?

He'd had done even better if it wasn't for the pesky little degree thing. Kinda slowed him down a bit.

I'll get back to you on the Serria ads....

One advantage is convienience. Under one roof we can get all of our groundschool, all of our training for all of our ratings, at least at Sierra we get a very good chance at a CFI job, and in many cases airline interviews once the right amount of time has been built. Many FBOs may also offer all of this, but many of the small ones may only have singles, may not have any complex aircraft, may very rarely hire CFIs because the CFIs they have are part time career CFIs who will not be moving on to make a vacancy.

Another advantage is that it is airline oriented. They know what the airlines look for in potential employees and they etch those skills in us early, going beyond just teaching us how to fly airplanes. They also operate like an airline. At most places you have to wear uniforms and show up to fly with short notice. Granted, most people will find that a disadvantage, what that does offer is a taste of what its like to be a professional pilot and might weed out those who can't handle the red tape that comes with it. Though, I could definately do without the uniforms.

The biggest advantage is networking, networking, networking. The people at the academies all have similar goals and aspirations. By the time I graduate I'll have several old instructors, and about 50 classmates who are just ahead of me out in the professional pilot world. The average FBO caters to those who want to fly recreationally and not necessarily professionaly. Networking contacts will be harder to come by in that kind of environment.

"Another advantage is that it is airline oriented."

I really don't think that's important at all. Airlines are looking for good pilots that have experienced many things. A good pilot simply fits into the program as a new hire. It's not that big a deal...really.

"They also operate like an airline. At most places you have to wear uniforms and show up to fly with short notice."

Man...you got me there...I'm speechless. It's all about the uniform.

"The biggest advantage is networking, networking, networking"

Hey look, we agree on something. Yeah, networking is king.

My friends story. He was working a VFR 135 job trying to get up to the coveted 1200 total. He had also gotten to know the folks that run a sim business at BFI because he bought some time in their sim. Just so happens that one of his fellow pilots is a very good friend with an Amflight guy. So Amflight guy calls his buddy saying they really need a PA31 driver at BFI. Said buddy only has 1000 total but my friend has 1200. So, my friend gets a call from Amflight guy asking if he's interested in the job (how often does that happen). He gets a good recommendation from the sim company at BFI, where Amflights does it's evals, too. My buddy aces the sim eval cause, duh, he's flown the sim before and impressed those folks. My buddy gets the job.

Networking can happen just as easy at an FBO as at a big academy.

[ QUOTE ]
My friend just got on an Amflight with 1202 and 50 multi for the PA31 at BFI. Turbine PIC in six months. 2.5 years from Commerical SE to Turbine PIC. Can you do that at Serria?

He'd had done even better if it wasn't for the pesky little degree thing. Kinda slowed him down a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
2.5 years from commercial SE to turbine PIC. Can I do that at Sierra, hmmm lets see. I expect to get my Comm SE in a few months from now. Lets say early May. I expect to get my CFI and CFII a few months later, lets say August I'll begin instructing with about 350 hours. At 80 hours a month (actual Sierra CFI monthly average) I'll have 800 hours in about 6 months. We had one instructor move on to Great lakes with about 800 hours, and several move on to ExecJet with about the same time. So now were at about January, about 0.75 years since comm SE, and for the sake of argument I have 800 hours and I get on with Great Lakes which has very fast upgrade times. That gives me about 1.75 years to upgrade before the 2.5 mark. That's very doable at Lakes. Or I can PFT and fly with your friend at Ameriflight. Realistically I will probably instruct for 1 to 1.5 years and sit as an FO at a regional for at least 2 or 3 years before upgrading. Reason being is Great Lakes is not at the top of my list.

Putting that argument aside, your friend you are talking about seems to be a very modivated person. Whether or not I can do the same at Sierra is irrelevent. You are implying that a similar modivated person cannot do the same at an academy. Show me one FBO that can guarentee such results. If you can, then that FBO is probably suffering from the same marketing blunders that piss you off so much about the big academies.

[ QUOTE ]

Networking can happen just as easy at an FBO as at a big academy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Big key word there is "can" happen. Sure a lot of people get lucky and come across people. But at an academy it will assuredly happen that you will have many, many networking contacts. My instructor just got 1000 hours, and immediately had his old instructor walk in his reusme in to SkyWest where he works. When the time comes he'll be able to continue the tradition with me. I've got another instructor at Eagle. I don't really have any interrest in Eagle, but there's a contact there if I need/want it. I also have about 20 close friends that are just ahead of me with the same goals. They'll move on before me and each become contacts. And guess what. When I've made it to the regionals, I can keep in touch with all of these people because they'll move onto the majors just before I will. Some of them may go corporate and I'll get contacts there too. The possibilites are endless.

Now could I have gotten networking had I gone the FBO route. But going the academy route I have it without even having to try. These are the kinds of advantages the academies have. I'm not saying it can't be done at an FBO I'm just saying that at an FBO one might have to try a litte harder, and/or have a little more luck come their way. Its up to each person to decide if the extra cost is worth the advantage that comes with it. To say that an incredibly modivated person can do it at an FBO but not at an academy is ludicrous.

"Or I can PFT and fly with your friend at Ameriflight."

Personally, I don't think the Eaglejet program is PFT, as you're not a required crewmember. It's a timebuilding program. Saying you're willing to PFT at this site, though, isn't going to make you any friends....

"Whether or not I can do the same at Sierra is irrelevent."

Well...I think it is relevent as your trying to convince me that the academy is the best way. Maybe your not....

"You are implying that a similar modivated person cannot do the same at an academy."

No, I'm saying that the FBO route is for some people, the academy route is for other people. Highy motivated individuals are going to be successful with either one.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is DCA and PanAm (maybe Sierra, too, I haven't looked yet) academy ads tout their program as the best way...you'll be a better pilot, have what the airlines are looking for, and be more successful if you just come to their school.

I think it's BS and my friends experience proves it.

"Show me one FBO that can guarentee such results"

Haven't you heard? There are no guarantees in aviation.

Will just have to agree to disagree. This is getting dumb.

Less than a year ago, I got an email from a Skywest interviewer I've never even met. He asked me if I knew anyone who was qualified to interview with him, since he was doing interviews that week. At the time, I didn't know anyone who met their mins, so I just said no. Had my friend had the time, he'd have gotten the interview....and he didn't even know the guy.

Networking is all about just being out there and meeting people. I honestly think an FBO guy can network as well as an academy guy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Or I can PFT and fly with your friend at Ameriflight."

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't think the Eaglejet program is PFT, as you're not a required crewmember. It's a timebuilding program.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well lets look at that. Its time building you say? What time are you building? Its not PIC becaue you are not pilot in command. Is it SIC? In order to log SIC you have to be a reqired crewmember which you would not be. So you are paying to warm the right seat and put the gear down I guess, but if you put anything in the logbook the guy in the left seat had better be an instructor.

[ QUOTE ]
Saying you're willing to PFT at this site, though, isn't going to make you any friends....

[/ QUOTE ]
Negetive. You're putting words in my mouth. I'm saying it is an option that would allow me to fly with your friend at Amflight without having to build much more expieience than I have now. Forget I even said it.

[ QUOTE ]

"Whether or not I can do the same at Sierra is irrelevent."

Well...I think it is relevent as your trying to convince me that the academy is the best way. Maybe your not....

[/ QUOTE ]

Negetive again. You're putting words in my mouth again. On the contrary I am saying that the academy route is not the best way for everyone but the same holds true for the FBO route. For some people its worth the extra cost, for others its not. Its up to the individual to decide, but that decision is the right one for them.

[ QUOTE ]

"You are implying that a similar modivated person cannot do the same at an academy."

No, I'm saying that the FBO route is for some people, the academy route is for other people. Highy motivated individuals are going to be successful with either one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You told me your friend's success story and aksed me if I could do the same at Sierra, implying that this sort of success can only happen if you go the FBO route, and that because I attend Sierra academy of Aeronautics, it couldn't happen to me. Yes you did imply it, even if its not what you meant. If you aregree that one way is good for some and another is good for others we are one the same page so what's the problem?

[ QUOTE ]

I guess what I'm really trying to say is DCA and PanAm (maybe Sierra, too, I haven't looked yet) academy ads tout their program as the best way...you'll be a better pilot, have what the airlines are looking for, and be more successful if you just come to their school.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think the purpose of advertising is? When you work in an inustry where you have competators (read that as every industry), you are going to advertise that your product is better than the other guy's. Its not just with aviation academies, its with EVERYTHING. I was under the impression that you were upset about false claims and false guarentees which I agree are a bad thing, but now I'm starting to understand you are upset with advertising in general. I hope you don't own a TV or radio, your blood pressure would be dangerously high.

Furthermore, you just admitted that you haven't yet looked at Sierra's advertising yet it was one of the schools on your slam list. That's the type of thing I was referring to im my first post that got us into this whole pissing match.

[ QUOTE ]

"Show me one FBO that can guarentee such results"

Haven't you heard? There are no guarantees in aviation.

[/ QUOTE ]
You completely missed my point there and I thnk you did it on purpose.

[ QUOTE ]
Will just have to agree to disagree. This is getting dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds good to me!

Let's just stop this whole PanAm/Sierra/DCA marketing crap. People who fall for the Delta Connection Academy bright lights, are just not seeing the truth...

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just stop this whole PanAm/Sierra/DCA marketing crap. People who fall for the Delta Connection Academy bright lights, are just not seeing the truth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets just stop all marketing all together, for everything, since it causes everyone to get in such a tizzy. Well just keep our fingers crossed that people will stumble across the products and services that they need or desire with no marketing imput.

Jeez, the horse is dead folks.

Smittey when you say "not seeing the truth"....what are you talkin about ? Truth to what ? Also, earlier you said 80,000 without a degree..ur a little bit off base with that. My paramedic/EMT and fire academy training was all throught a local college. I just have a few to finish up to have AAS. So in a few years when i'm interview ready, i'll have the AAS for sure and be working on the BS.

The truth being that you dont need to spend over $45,000 to get your ratings or ''interview ready''.

Everyone uses the excuse..."Well I get a guarenteed interview"...

Well I could offer you an interview as President of the United States....but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm going to give you the job. An interview is just that...and interview. They'll say hi to you, look at your resume...and say "Thanks for spending $80,000 at DCA, we'll let you know".

Is it worth it? Go to an FBO/ATP/Ari-Ben and get what you really need... MULTI TIME to get your job.

If I was Comair and I had two applicants...one from ATP and another from DCA...

DCA guy: CFI, 1000TT, 220ME - 2-yr degree

ATP guy: CFI, 1000TT, 850ME - 2-yr degree

Now why in the hell wouldn't I want the guy who has been instructing in a complex airplane? I would take the ATP guy any day over some 10 multi hours a month, fixed wing, fixed gear DCA CFI. I wouldn't even think twice.

But you need to. Think real hard, because it really sounds like you were in 'aww'
insane.gif
of the academy's show they put on for you. It's not all sunshine after you start training. Good luck and take care.

It wasnt only me that was amazed by DCA. Even my dad. I mean, my dad had never been to a flight school other than the local FBO where i did my private. He knows all about me doing a career change, and offered any help and is gonna be my co-signer when the time comes. So he was along for the ride down to DCA. I mean from when we first got there..he was like..speechless lol. On the way home, he even said....god I'm almost jealous of you, getting the oppurtunity to do this...if only i was younger !!! He was quite in shock. Now, he's like..totally all fired up about me changing careers and stuff....because he seen it in his own eyes.
I understand what your saying smittey about the multi time. It really was my one concern, finishing up with the bare minimums. But i've asked about that and am waiting to hear something. Perhaps if i did go to DCA, I could simply stay and instruct a bit longer to get the hours. Not sure...kind of playing it by ear.

If you are not impressed with DCA after their tour, you must be extreemely hard to impress. The DCA show is definately very impressive. However, once you take some time to think about it, and after you visit a few other schools, you might start to look back and realize DCA dosn't have that much more to offer than most other schools. Look hard at the program, if you still think the program is your best fit then go, but don't be too mesmorized by the tour. You might suddenly snap out of it and realize there is a program that better fits your needs elsewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are not impressed with DCA after their tour, you must be extreemely hard to impress. The DCA show is definately very impressive. However, once you take some time to think about it, and after you visit a few other schools, you might start to look back and realize DCA dosn't have that much more to offer than most other schools. Look hard at the program, if you still think the program is your best fit then go, but don't be too mesmorized by the tour. You might suddenly snap out of it and realize there is a program that better fits your needs elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

And budget.

Interest on a big loan like this is crazy. If you take out $80,000 at 5.5% APR over 20 years you will be paying back $550.00 for 240 months...with interest, considering you make every payment on time...you will have paid the bank back...

yeahthat.gif

Now...you can get more multi-time for FAR cheaper. I mean FAR. Just think about it...that's a lot of money for a Chatauqua FO making $22/hr.

[ QUOTE ]

If I was Comair and I had two applicants...one from ATP and another from DCA...

DCA guy: CFI, 1000TT, 220ME - 2-yr degree

ATP guy: CFI, 1000TT, 850ME - 2-yr degree

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to point it out...but this is a really bad point...Comair owns DCA.
spin2.gif

I also have to say, for the airlines partnered with DCA, they'd probably prefer the DCA guy because of the extreme standardization they go through. Not garunteeing that!
grin.gif

No. Delta owns the academy, when they bought it in 2003. Don't refute when your just as wrong as you're claiming I am.

[ QUOTE ]
DCA guy because of the extreme standardization they go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. If you know how to fly and airplane, you know how to fly an airplane. What is SO different at Delta?

Back