Academy Tour

DCA is owed by Comair Holdings. My workers comp is handled by Comair not Delta, as well as my case worker is at Comair not Delta . If Delta truely owned DCA. I would be dealing with someone from Delta in Atlanta. Our vehicles insurance shows Comair as the insured. I just put the new card in the MX van. If you're the guy from ATP with 1000 TT and 850 MT, you're not going to get hired. Comair drops it mins to 1000/100 for DCA grads. BUT, you might get lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
No. Delta owns the academy, when they bought it in 2003. Don't refute when your just as wrong as you're claiming I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was stupid. You really missed all those truth in advertizing discussions, didn't you?
buck.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a break. If you know how to fly and airplane, you know how to fly an airplane. What is SO different at Delta?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to find the break smiley...not working...

BTW, I still don't like or advocate DCA but because of their standardization, they had people getting hired in 2001-2003 when no one else really was.

But seriously, relax...zen...yoga...whatever works for ya!
tongue.gif

Smitty, I wasn't trying to suggest you were. I should have used the qoute function to use the previous comparison between the ATP grad and the DCA grad. ATP is a great program as is Ari Ben as far as good multi time. I wish DCA could offer more multi time and sooner than they do.

Ahh, she's sick right now. She keeps saying that she's gonna die, but I have to keep convincing her she's not!
grin.gif

One of us gets sick when ever we travel. I'm usually pretty resistant. She wants to join in, so I'll keep nagging her, so she can stop being a lurker on my screen name!
banghead.gif

Hello H46bubba
smile.gif
I have two questions for you....When you mentioned above that if your "An ATP guy with 1000tt and 850 MT you wont get hired", what did you mean ? I mean, i interpreted that as CoMair not liking ATP guys for some reason. Second question, when you mentioned CoMair dropping it's minimums for DCA grads, is that ONLY CoMair ? Or is that all the airlines in the Delta Connection system ? I'm just hearing so much from so many different people, I just want to know from a reliable source what really is the best route for me to take. I wonder if i could contact anybody from the airlines, maybe HR people..and actually talk to them and ask. Do they prefer DCA ? Will they still hire an ATP guy ? What are the minimums ? etc. Just to hear the facts from the actual people themselves, instead of going on just conversation here, or rumors. I feel torn between two sides !!! lol Any thoughts on this ?

"I just want to know from a reliable source what really is the best route for me to take. I wonder if i could contact anybody from the airlines, maybe HR people..and actually talk to them and ask. Do they prefer DCA ? Will they still hire an ATP guy ? What are the minimums ? etc. Just to hear the facts from the actual people themselves, instead of going on just conversation here, or rumors. I feel torn between two sides !!! lol Any thoughts on this ?"

My thoughts on this is are.....you aren't gonna get any straight answers from the sources you mention.

Instead of concentrating on who will hire whom....you should concentrate on getting quality flight training at a competitve price.

If you have the background and experience, you can get hired anywhere you want. You don't have to conform to a certain "program", to be successful. That's what all these big academy marketing schemes what you to think, though.

I thought you were all sold on DCA? What happened?

Oh...and H46bubba. I didn't mean to speak for you. Please tell us if you disagree.

Okay, I was not inferring that Comair doesn't like ATP grads, I was simply pointing out that in the example given in a previous post, that the example interviewee from ATP did not meet the minimum time requirments for Comair. Comair hires pilots other than DCA grads. DCA can't supply enough grads to fill slots. One reason is that not all grads want to fly for Comair(current wait for class is 6 months), and another is that the amount of instructors who complete their 800 hrs of dual given, is sporatic and not constant. You might have one instructor complete his time in June and their might be eight in July.

Comair drops their minimums for DCA grads because they own the school. ASA is firm on their minimums, Chautauqua is flexible, depending on how many slots they have open. I'm waiting to see some feedback as far as the new 10 plus 4 program with Trans States.

If you want to know minimum time requirements for regionals go their websites employment pages and they're usulally listed. If you know someone who is flying for one, even better. They might know a change before it's posted on their website.

As far as what best route to take, depends on you. You need to go visit each school and ask questions All routes,(except PFT) are good as far as getting you in the right seat of an RJ As long as you put in the time and effort and set your mind to it, you'll get there. I found out that it doesn't what school you went to, it's who you know that will help you land that interview. Like Doug and the other senior guys say, "NETWORK, NETWORK NETWORK!" That's the key.

[ QUOTE ]

Comair drops their minimums for DCA grads because they own the school. ASA is firm on their minimums, Chautauqua is flexible, depending on how many slots they have open. I'm waiting to see some feedback as far as the new 10 plus 4 program with Trans States.

If you want to know minimum time requirements for regionals go their websites employment pages and they're usulally listed. If you know someone who is flying for one, even better. They might know a change before it's posted on their website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instructors from DCA getting hired at ASA, CHQ, XJT, and Comair have at least the minimums of 1000/100. Not sure what the competitive minimums are for these regionals, but the academy grads are getting hired at all of these regionals with 1000/100.

Thanks H46 now I understand what you were saying last time....my misunderstanding lol. One other question is, when you were talking about knowing somebody...to land the interview. Is it that hard to get an interview ? I was under the impression that anybody that submits a resume that has the minimum qualifications or above...gets an interview automatically. I figured it's in the actual interview that they weed people out if needed. When the fire department that i work for starts a hiring period, anybody can apply....we've even had like people off the streets....and they all are given a chance to interview and go through the process....and the process of elimination is used through testing and interviewing until finally arriving at the perfect candidates......I thought it was the same way....everybody gets the interview.

De727....yep DCA in my eyes is awesome,it's not that i'm not sold on them...it's just that........who do i believe ??
I mean guys on here say this place is the best, other guys say that place is the best, pilots suggest this place, this school claims they are the best...etc etc etc. So for me sitting here it's almost like juggling....kind of just weighing pros and cons of all of em. See with what this is gonna cost, and me leaving my job, I only have one shot at it...it's not like....down the road i can just say, oh well that was a bad choice so i'll just try somewhere else. I gotta make this first shot really count.

[ QUOTE ]

That is the million dollar question right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's how I answered the question for myself. I took the cost of attending DCA subtracted the cost of getting my ratings via my local FBO. The interview was going to cost me around $25,000, plus I would have to quit my day job and move to Florida for additional losses while I make $10.00 an hour. I'm sure the quality of the training at DCA is good, but my FBO Training is also very good.

Just my 2 Cents.

Hey guys fairly new to this...

just wanted to say -- i have personal experience know a pilot who went to ATP after it taking him too long to finish his Commercial rating at DCA, DCA has HIGH STANDARDS their Standardisation Manual is written by a very well respected man *You know who you are if you're reading this* and he helped me a lot through the Student - Instructor Standardistaion class to become a paid instructor at the school -- all of these "standz" manual's are submitted to DELTA AIRLINES flight standards and they read them to make sure they are current with the format or the CRJ or Boeing 767 etc... so when our (DCA) pilots graduate the program they are fimiliar with the layout etc... for example our checklist for the C172 says,... 500 climb chk, climb power set... right there it's always going to be full power but getting it into the head of a student at that stage means that at Commercial level the checklist is embedded second nature, so when they recover from a stall in a PA-28R they don't leave the engine throttles wide open and let the thing break apart, it's the same process over and over again which makes the people there exceptional pilots -- in my own view -- now the guy i was talking about before left at Commerical level and wasn't ever big on flows or procedures -- yet within 2 months at ATP he'd achieved his COMM SEL, COMM MEL and CFI, CFII and MEI!!!! so you tell me if it takes a man 12 months to get procedures wrong at DCA and takes him 2 months to suddenly correct them all and become Chuck Yeager at ATP if you wonder why ATP doesn't have the connections that Delta Connection Academy has -- and it works, the effort you put in is what you'll get back, so thank you Richard, thank you Dave and thank's to my CFII Rick for all of your help while being there and i look forward to working with you guys at Comair or for you Rick Skywest.

Regards,

Robert
CFII - Delta Connection Academy

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys fairly new to this...

just wanted to say -- i have personal experience know a pilot who went to ATP after it taking him too long to finish his Commercial rating at DCA, DCA has HIGH STANDARDS their Standardisation Manual is written by a very well respected man *You know who you are if you're reading this* and he helped me a lot through the Student - Instructor Standardistaion class to become a paid instructor at the school -- all of these "standz" manual's are submitted to DELTA AIRLINES flight standards and they read them to make sure they are current with the format or the CRJ or Boeing 767 etc... so when our (DCA) pilots graduate the program they are fimiliar with the layout etc... for example our checklist for the C172 says,... 500 climb chk, climb power set... right there it's always going to be full power but getting it into the head of a student at that stage means that at Commercial level the checklist is embedded second nature, so when they recover from a stall in a PA-28R they don't leave the engine throttles wide open and let the thing break apart, it's the same process over and over again which makes the people there exceptional pilots -- in my own view -- now the guy i was talking about before left at Commerical level and wasn't ever big on flows or procedures -- yet within 2 months at ATP he'd achieved his COMM SEL, COMM MEL and CFI, CFII and MEI!!!! so you tell me if it takes a man 12 months to get procedures wrong at DCA and takes him 2 months to suddenly correct them all and become Chuck Yeager at ATP if you wonder why ATP doesn't have the connections that Delta Connection Academy has -- and it works, the effort you put in is what you'll get back, so thank you Richard, thank you Dave and thank's to my CFII Rick for all of your help while being there and i look forward to working with you guys at Comair or for you Rick Skywest.

Regards,

Robert
CFII - Delta Connection Academy

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought maybe I was done reading this bullsh*t, but it turned out you wrote the same damn thing from another post.

Try not to cut and paste stuff you already wrote next time.

Are you kidding? It was on the forum post checklist.

Assume new alias......complete
Post BS....................as needed
Copy and paste.........check

Anyway, while I did regard my ATP experience as a joke after DCA, they did quote me a price and a very specific time frame and stuck to both! If DCA could do high quality without the lies and BS, some of us slackers might still be around.
grin.gif

Back