Academy Tour

texflyguy

Has anybody here done the free tour of the academy? what do they cover and how long does it last? would I also need to buy a hotel room or is it a 1 day thing? and last can my two friends come with me on the same plane since we are all interested in going.

If they are still doing the same tour they did back when they were Comair Academy, its a day long ordeal. They fly you out the day before, put you up in a room, and provide your ground transportation, and fly you back that evening, all for $100. You have to show up for the tour to get your return ticket. Free lunch on the tour too. They show you a propganda video, show you the facilities, the sims, student housing, financial aid, and at least with our group, they show you pretty much everything but the aircraft.

you don't even get to see the planes
confused.gif

unbelievable
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If they are still doing the same tour they did back when they were Comair Academy, its a day long ordeal. They fly you out the day before, put you up in a room, and provide your ground transportation, and fly you back that evening, all for $100. You have to show up for the tour to get your return ticket. Free lunch on the tour too. They show you a propganda video, show you the facilities, the sims, student housing, financial aid, and at least with our group, they show you pretty much everything but the aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why you didn't get to see the planes. I took a tour back then and got to see the aircraft. Well I got to see the 152's, 172's, and PA-44's anyway, the 172RG's then and the Arrow's now are not exactly close to the Ops building. I see tour groups out on the ramp all the time looking at the planes. Was it during the ramp resurfacing or was it raining or anything?

[ QUOTE ]
you don't even get to see the planes
confused.gif

unbelievable
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not that bad!
wink.gif
Last I checked, the only times no one could see the planes, a hurricane was comming.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to check out the aircraft as well, thats really weird they didnt show you them. I'd think the aircraft are one of the main things everyone wants to see.

Yeah, I don't know. They didn't seem to want to let us out on the ramp that day. The only thing I can think was that it was shortly after 9/11 and they might have been having security issues.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The free lunch was all the hot dogs and chips you could eat at the housing office. ROFLMAO

I went out to DCA a few years back. I couldn't see inside the planes either. They said it was against their policy...
"What are you guys hiding?" Would you rent a car without checking it out first? Just my opinion.

DCA isn't hiding a thing. The planes are kept in tip top shape. I got to see the aircraft both times I toured the campus in 1999 and in 2002. It really actually depends on who gives the tour and how big the tour group is. The bigger the group the less time their is to see stuff, due to having to let everyone get a turn in the sims, answering questions, and shuffling the group along. It's actually better when you come and do a one on one with you admissions person. You have more time to ask qustions and see more stuff.

Well, maybe they should prioritize then. I'm sure a large group would rather see the planes than fly the sim. And heaven forbid they should forgo the propganda videos.
rolleyes.gif

Personally, at zero hours, I prefered to fly the sim. A Cessna interior doesn't change too much but the sim was actually flying!
wink.gif

You're probably going to spend about 20 times more time and about 40 times more money in the planes than in the sims and that's what you're more interrested in seeing when you tour the school? Okay, whatever floats your boat.

Hey Clayjpilot....my academy tour is next tuesday. When i get back i'll make sure to let you know how things went and what happens. Wish me luck !!

Dude, you've got to relax! I'm just saying that most folks with no time are going to enjoy hands on experience a little more than show and tell. Sorry for rocking the boat!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Clayjpilot....my academy tour is next tuesday. When i get back i'll make sure to let you know how things went and what happens. Wish me luck !!

[/ QUOTE ]

prepare to be bullshatted!

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you've got to relax! I'm just saying that most folks with no time are going to enjoy hands on experience a little more than show and tell. Sorry for rocking the boat!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
So, the purpose of the tour is entertainment? I thought it was for people to evaluate a potential investment. Would you go to a car dealership and be sold on a car they were selling if they didn't let you see the car, but did let you play Grand Turismo for 2 minutes?

Back