AA high speed aborted takeoff at DCA, near miss 5/29/24

srleslie

America Airlines flight cleared for takeoff at DCA while a King Air was cleared to land on an intersecting runway. Air traffic control instructed King Air to go around, but they had already landed. The AA flight was going over 100 mph when traffic control canceled their takeoff clearance. It was on the national news today. They were within 1300 feet from each other on the runways.

This keeps getting more real. This could had been a disaster.

Live ATC recording:

Last edited:
Every time I’m in the JS out of DCA the crews are hyper-vigilant about this kind of thing. It’s one of the rare times I put a headset on while taxiing and keep my eyes out the windows. It’s getting scary.

Last time there was a near miss at DCA a month or so ago, the FAA administrator tried to impose pretty drastic schedule changes on us without negotiating w the Union at all, in the name of “fatigue mitigation”.

His concerns about fatigue somehow failed to mention that myself and the majority of my colleagues have been scheduled 6 days a week for most of the last 8-9 years. Were exhausted.

It sucks that stuff like this keeps happening, it really feels like the system is falling apart. There’s been so many close calls that it really feels like a disaster is inevitable, there’s more and more Swiss cheese holes lining up just on the ATC side. Turns out working people 6 days a week, and in many facilities not paying enough to live anywhere near work, with little to no hope of ever transferring, is not attracting quality applicants.

One thing I’ll say is I’m glad I work at a center. I’ve seen closer calls than this every week that never end up on the news lol.

Last time there was a near miss at DCA a month or so ago, the FAA administrator tried to impose pretty drastic schedule changes on us without negotiating w the Union at all, in the name of “fatigue mitigation”.

His concerns about fatigue somehow failed to mention that myself and the majority of my colleagues have been scheduled 6 days a week for most of the last 8-9 years. Were exhausted.

It sucks that stuff like this keeps happening, it really feels like the system is falling apart. There’s been so many close calls that it really feels like a disaster is inevitable, there’s more and more Swiss cheese holes lining up just on the ATC side. Turns out working people 6 days a week, and in many facilities not paying enough to live anywhere near work, with little to no hope of ever transferring, is not attracting quality applicants.

One thing I’ll say is I’m glad I work at a center. I’ve seen closer calls than this every week that never end up on the news lol.
it’s so much that happens out there that people don’t know about. We’ve been getting lucky for a while, even in the freight world.

DCA really threads needles. Most of the time Im landing, someone is barely lifting off, or we have 5 in line for 15, while another 5 are waiting to blast off 19, and ive heard them mess up position and holds between the runways before.

It's busy as all getout that's for sure. They usually do a great job, but the margins are thin.

I used to take new FOs up to the tower in DCA when we had long sits. The cab controllers were always really good about explaining the operation and then heckling us when we called for clearance later that day. Back then (maybe 2008 to 2010?) they used a radio antenna that sat between 1 and 33 as a reference point. As long as the plane landing or taking off 33 was north of the antenna, they could launch (or land) a plane on 1. I wonder if that still works, and if the radio antenna is still there?

Was just there a few days ago. DCA never used to make me nervous in years past, but over the last year or so I have really hated operating in and out of DCA.

I've been in and out of DCA a fair bit, though not in the last two years or so. What I thought then I think is even more true now, DCA should be shut down, full stop. IAD is a modern, vastly Superior and Infinitely safer airport that could absorb every bit of DCA's traffic tomorrow. The only reason DCA exists is that Congress critters don't want to drive another 20 minutes when they blow town. Hell, even the trains go to IAD now...

I've been in and out of DCA a fair bit, though not in the last two years or so. What I thought then I think is even more true now, DCA should be shut down, full stop. IAD is a modern, vastly Superior and Infinitely safer airport that could absorb every bit of DCA's traffic tomorrow. The only reason DCA exists is that Congress critters don't want to drive another 20 minutes when they blow town. Hell, even the trains go to IAD now...
i don't think you need to shut it down, but the arrival/departure rate could probably stand for a little more fudge factor. I’m not sure of a tighter normal op with intersecting runways in the country

(also they should reopen it to non-turbine GA, save the DASSP or whatever for the big planes that can dent stuff)

No.

not just no. Hell no. IAD is way more than “20 minutes more.”

America Airlines flight cleared for takeoff at DCA while a King Air was cleared to land on an intersecting runway. Air traffic control instructed King Air to go around, but they had already landed. The AA flight was going over 100 mph when traffic control canceled their takeoff clearance. It was on the national news today.

This keeps getting

i don't think you need to shut it down, but the arrival/departure rate could probably stand for a little more fudge factor. I’m not sure of a tighter normal op with intersecting runways in the country

(also they should reopen it to non-turbine GA, save the DASSP or whatever for the big planes that can dent stuff)
San Diego gets by with 1 runway. Why can't DCA?

San Diego gets by with 1 runway. Why can't DCA?

"our runway is fairly short, our glideslope is steep, and if you don't exit by B8 you go to purgatory because 98 SWA and DAL planes just skull f****ked their brakes"

okay okay B8 isn't that hard to make, but holy hell, that airport is like a carrier flight deck......there is absolutely no room for anything. Just when you thought things were gonna get moving, some delta yahoo lands, there is nowhere for them and their hats to go, and you end up in the Mexican standoff, 3 planes, all jets that can't undo being in a 3 way nose to nose situation. Throw in a couple tug operators in training that threw towbars in the alleyway, and things grind to an immediate stop. And then 5 more southwest planes land

One thing that bothers me about this audio is the KA pilot acted like having already touched down was a deal-breaker for a go-around.

I can think of some scenarios where I’d go-around after touching down. Obviously, timing matters.

I’m curious about subsequent coms. Wondering if conflict was quickly described. “KA, get on brakes, rejected TO crossing your runway at x feet.” Wondering if KA understood that he might have to go four-wheeling.

Back