Bad First Impression

What would you do?

• Let sleeping dogs lie?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell him it created a bad first impression?

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Tell him it’s not okay?

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other. (Please comment )

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Here’s one for the peanut gallery.

FO doesn’t show up until halfway through boarding. Thinking he had a late parking lot van, or there was traffic, or he got stuck at security, I did the walk around for him (I swap walk arounds anyway). I program the box. The whole enchilada. I finish both of our jobs, brief the FAs, etc.

He shows up halfway through boarding. No apology. No excuse or explanation (he parked in the terminal garage and did not get randomed at security), and no appreciation for the guy who did what is traditionally his job for him. He told me he was in the lounge having coffee and he doesn’t typically show up until 30 minutes prior to departure (he missed that by atround 10 minutes), because there isn’t typically an agent to let him down to the airplane until then.

Rest of the day went fine.. he flies fine, does good work in the cockpit, and is off probation.

If I were him I would have been mortified if I showed up and boarding had already started, I would have apologized and made an effort to prove to the other pilot that I’m a team player. But I’ve learned from having a teenager that not everyone does things like I do.

FO doesn’t show up until halfway through boarding. Thinking he had a late parking lot van, or there was traffic, or he got stuck at security, I did the walk around for him (I swap walk arounds anyway). I program the box. The whole enchilada. I finish both of our jobs, brief the FAs, etc.

He shows up halfway through boarding. No apology. No excuse or explanation (he parked in the terminal garage and did not get randomed at security), and no appreciation for the guy who did what is traditionally his job for him. He told me he was in the lounge having coffee and he doesn’t typically show up until 30 minutes prior to departure (he missed that by atround 10 minutes), because there isn’t typically an agent to let him down to the airplane until then.

Rest of the day went fine.. he flies fine, does good work in the cockpit, and is off probation.

If I were him I would have been mortified if I showed up and boarding had already started, I would have apologized and made an effort to prove to the other pilot that I’m a team player. But I’ve learned from having a teenager that not everyone does things like I do.
What did you say to him?

Probably would have said something at cruise or on the layover beers if you guys do that. Not confrontational but just ask what’s up. I agree, kinda weird he didn't say anything.

If I knew a guy was going to be late I'd do both our jobs. No big deal. I liked doing F/O stuff once in a while. Little different type of operation but if I didn't have an F/O present or have spoken to them an hour prior I was supposed to call crew scheduling. If I didn't, it could become my problem, as well as theirs. I would text them before I'd call skeds and see what's up. Not able to contact? I'm calling skeds and heading out to the plane and figure it's not my problem.

My surprise is not that this condition exists - broadly now within our "society". My surprise is that you seem to imply that you only just recently sussed that this condition exists - broadly - within in our "society".

"The Pandemic" was not the cause of "all our [current] woes with loss of Eden". The pandemic was just a catalyst serving to accelerate a problem that existed well before "the pandemic".

It was a catalyst because it caused the fat and happy to become at least tangentially, fleetingly aware of how everything we take for granted is based on lots and lots of scientific knowledge and lots and lots of hard, continuous work. Instead of working to make things better, the fat and happy just doubled down on their own entitlement. Which, of course is wickedly ironic, as it was entitlement against which they sought to defend themselves.

Last edited:

Yup.

One time I picked up a premium fly LA to SF and then DH right back. It was right opentime about 3 hrs. Both seats were open so I figured it was a last minute thing.

I get to the airport, to the plane about 50 min before departure. Do my job. No FO. So I go outside and do walkaround. No FO. So then I start and finish the box. All done. Now FO shows up. No apology. He settles his nest and then looks at the FMC box, and utters…

“Oh, you did my job.”

It took every ounce of energy to avoid saying, “yeah, because I was actually here on time…”

What a d-bag. How about a, “Thanks Cap for getting all this stuff done.”

I usually almost always ask FOs which leg they wanna fly, but this time I threw the master on my side and flew it to SF.

Last edited:
If I knew a guy was going to be late I'd do both our jobs. No big deal. I liked doing F/O stuff once in a while. Little different type of operation but if I didn't have an F/O present or have spoken to them an hour prior I was supposed to call crew scheduling. If I didn't, it could become my problem, as well as theirs. I would text them before I'd call skeds and see what's up. Not able to contact? I'm calling skeds and heading out to the plane and figure it's not my problem.

I do too. I’ve had a couple FOs connect with me through pilot scheduling. Which is why I usually almost always answer pilot sked once I have checked in. The FOs were apologetic , saying they are running behind but promise to be there like 20-30 minutes before departure. I said don’t worry about it, I’ll get it all set up. I do everything, inside and out. Then they came in and all of them were apologetic and very thankful for having everything set up. I said no problem, take your time, when you review everything and only when you feel ready, we can brief.

That’s how it should be. Just be courteous.

Yeah the one time I was late, was on SCR when they gave me a min-callout (at the time 2 hrs) at 3:15 pm on a Friday. I did my very best (legitimately), and called CS at report time to tell them my ETA. CA did everything, I walked in 10 mins prior to departure, and we pushed back on time. Not another word was spoken about it. Though I did apologize. I didn't really truly think it was my fault, but I did feel bad he had to do all my s****. And it is super awkward walking into a fully boarded plane with every a hole just thinking you overslept or something, when in fact, you were on reserve, jumped into your car 30 seconds after you got the call, and survived multiple freeway obstructions for 2.5 hrs to get there. After that, I made an effort to hang out in a coffee shop about 50 mins closer to the airport until I was no longer reserve pilot.

@ZapBrannigan you sound kinder than I probably would have been if in your shoes. Your gut isn't wrong here.

Sounds like a dude who is just burned out and tired of waiting around.

That being said, it only takes us 10 minutes tops to program, do the checks and walk around, so unless you were late I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

I would've thanked you for doing the walk around but even if you programed and set everything for the FO I would have to go through the same, preprogram flow to make sure everything is there.

Zap, come to MCO and do some flying. I can buy you a beer with the new FO contract.

Sounds like a dude who is just burned out and tired of waiting around.

That being said, it only takes us 10 minutes tops to program, do the checks and walk around, so unless you were late I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

I would've thanked you for doing the walk around but even if you programed and set everything for the FO I would have to go through the same, preprogram flow to make sure everything is there.

Zap, come to MCO and do some flying. I can buy you a beer with the new FO contract.
If he were an 8 year FO I get being burned out. An 18 month FO not so much.

I had something similar when I was Detroit based on the 320.

FO shows up late, rotten attitude.

I tell him that crew scheduled had called me to see if you had showed up at the aircraft because he didn’t check in.

He shrugs it off and starts telling me how he never goes to the pilot lounge because of some SNAFU with employee parking and how his phone is for him, not the company.

Hmmm, k…

Then he says “I need the door code for the walk around. What time do we leave?”

I give him the door code and tell him the departure time then reminded him that the information is on MiCrew or he can print a rotation at the gate with all the rotation information and the down line door codes.

”I’m not paid for that”

”The sh— you are. Do you think if I told the ramper out there in the snow that the company would pay him a couple hundred thousand dollars but all he‘d have to occasionally print a trip or make a courtesy call to crew scheduling, do you think he’d turn that down? GO PRINT IT ONE”

He did. And we got along fine after that. Turns out he was divorced, lonely, his kids didn’t like him, he was a regional ‘lifer’ but flowed over and didn’t like being an FO again and all-around miserable guy.

Sadly, some people need ‘the chat’. Don’t let people’s crappy attitudes infect your cockpit. Run the show.

I probably would have let it slide until he brought up that it's his normal routine. Things happen, life happens, and sometimes you're running a little behind. More than happy to pick up the slack to help somebody out if need be, but the moment that laziness becomes uncool is when you force others to do more work because you don't feel like it. This job is so incredibly easy, there's no need for the attitude.

Back