JetBlue hires violent felon as a pilot

There is a lot of space between barring someone from employment until they become homeless and being in charge of a multi million dollar airplane and 200 lives for a major airline.
Well I was talking broadly. That was pretty obvious. Shall we dissect every felon in the country of who is worthy and who isn’t? Would not surprise me if that is something the lot of you would say is logical…

It’s definitely Stockholm syndrome with you.

It's been a long game for me. And I see the finish line in sight. This thing would have been easier if I was younger. That or more independently wealthy and not an hourly wage earner as a career changer, with bills. But I've saved 80% since September so far toward all my three of instructors ratings, and I'll be starting that in 2023. Excited to start building hours, finally.

Last edited:
While you all do your best year 1 law school debates, I will give you a little insight from a Blue Juice Factory worker. Apparently the company got so much backlash from the pilots, instructors, union and now it’s on MSM that homeboy is no longer going through training. Looks like he was asked to leave(I’m sure with a nice little payout).

It depends on the crime. IF a victim is involved, we should be far more strict. So stealing food is entirely different than dressing in body armor, breaking down a judge’s door, and assaulting an ex-GF/wife.

The whole job of an airline pilot involved having the lives of hundreds of people each day. Sorry, but no violent felons should be allowed to fly for major airlines.

An ATP certificate is one "factor" among many others to determine the "competency" of an individual's ability to protect lives. Makes me wonder if a thin skinned individual would feel the same say if the person worked for air traffic control? Greyhound? Uber?

On the flight deck, the door is locked during flight, right? How does that compromise flight safety if a former felon is behind a locked door? What if he were an A&P? Guess you wouldn't want them working on a airplane?

Any divorced pilots on this thread who were divorced by their spouses? Betcha those "ex's" believe the pilot shouldn't be flying passengers. Betcha those "ex's" believe those pilots are accidents waiting to happen. Just a thought.

While you all do your best year 1 law school debates, I will give you a little insight from a Blue Juice Factory worker. Apparently the company got so much backlash from the pilots, instructors, union and now it’s on MSM that homeboy is no longer going through training. Looks like he was asked to leave(I’m sure with a nice little payout).
This is really sad.

An ATP certificate is one "factor" among many others to determine the "competency" of an individual's ability to protect lives. Makes me wonder if a thin skinned individual would feel the same say if the person worked for air traffic control? Greyhound? Uber?

On the flight deck, the door is locked during flight, right? How does that compromise flight safety if a former felon is behind a locked door? What if he were an A&P? Guess you wouldn't want them working on a airplane?

Any divorced pilots on this thread who were divorced by their spouses? Betcha those "ex's" believe the pilot shouldn't be flying passengers. Betcha those "ex's" believe those pilots are accidents waiting to happen. Just a thought.
I'm an A/P, I've already related my experience regarding background checks, felonies and what happens when a current employee is convicted. I can recall my FBI background check for an LAX badge being delayed because they couldn't get ahold of one of my previous supervisors, the company had folded and my old DOM died, didn't stop them from hassling me for current contact info even after I explained the situation. As this was happening the company that wanted to hire me was doing an outsourced background check and I was receiving phone calls at all hours from them requesting the same info. I finally just stopped answering the phone, a couple of days later I was officially offered the job and I accepted it. I can guarantee I wouldn't have worked there if I had a felony on my record. And trying to make a comparison between a divorce and a felony conviction for a violent crime is just dumb.

For crying out loud, were any of these convicted violent felons?

Spouses and divorces is usually petty crap. Not violent felons, unless a guy kills his wife in which case, yes permanent ban from being an airline pilot.

And the ATP in America is a joke. We should adopt European standards. I’d like to see pilots here take the 14 part theory exams. More strict on standards and SOPs. We have a laid back culture here. Safe, sure, but an absence of a crash does not imply a good safety culture. The accident-causing pilots of Colgan and Atlas had an ATP. Doesn’t mean much.

And the ATP in America is a joke. We should adopt European standards.
4ap24b.jpg

*clutches pearls*

*Remembers Andreas Lubitz*

Last edited:
Good. FAAFO.

Along with Egypt 990, Silk Air, LAM Mozambique. And that was normal people who had a bad turn of events in their life. Now imagine an ex-felon violent guy who has a bad turn of events. It makes it much worse.

Again, not judging what JetBlue saw in the person-in-question and deciding to give him a (what appears to be temporary) shot, BUT, to be quite honest, anyone has the capacity to respond to a situation violently.

A) A person who has been incarcerated for battery and has a training failure.
B) A person who, in 30 years, has never had a training failure, but just got one.

Who is more dangerous? Honestly, who really knows. It's easy to say Person A because of the history, but how well do we know what Person B is dealing with?

Person A may have coping mechanisms, has previously FAAFO and knows where certain paths and unrestrained inner demons will lead.
Person B might just go postal. Anything is possible.

Again, not specifically supporting JetBlue's hiring decision or the internet's rage against his employment. I just don't have enough information to feel passionately either way.

Last edited:
I do have a question for the peanut gallery.

Say there was a pilot, clean as a whistle, that gets popped for a random drug test as he's commuting home. He conducts the test and the proctor says that not only is the sample a few degrees too cool, that it appears adulterated because of a high amount of "something" in the sample.

The pilot is subsequently fired from his regional for the result and spends thousands of dollars and years of court time fighting his dismissal and license revocations. Expert witnesses talking about how the urine samples from ectomorphic endurance runners is consistent with the sample and how these items weren't taken into consideration before deeming it an adulterated sample.

All unsuccessful.

A few years later, in a high(er) profile case, the same situation goes down, an airline gets sued for it's urinalysis subcontractor not being a medical professional and it becomes a generally accepted principle that different body types and various fitness levels will have a tangible effect on sampling...

He gives up, resumes life and his dream of being an airline pilot dies.

A couple decades later, he swallows his pride, starts flying again to get his licenses back and gets hired at a small 135 operation.

Now this person has "Yes" under FAA actions for license revocation, violation and administrative actions taken, the firing from a regional and failing a drug test.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back