Are pilots blue collar or white collar?

ajm757

I consider myself a blue collar guy. Nothing better than getting my work boots dirty and my Carhartt shirts trashed kind of thing. I have always considered airline pilots as blue collar. Mainly because we operate big machinery, are unionized, and are labor in management's eyes.

Others I have talked to consider airline pilots as white collar, citing high levels of training and requirements. Something similar to lawyers and other white collar professionals with advanced training?

What do you think? I'm sticking with blue collar since it feels more natural to me.

On the "snob" scale, yes, I'd say we're closer to blue collar than white collar. However, most folks consider blue collar workers to be those that provide manual labor. Having done a lot of hard and dirty jobs, this ain't that. If I had to say one or the other, my vote would go white collar.

Having a lot of acquaintances in the medical world, they would tell you that hospitals think of doctors as "labor" as well.

I also consider myself a blue collar guy, but I don't consider this blue collar work.

I consider @ajm757 and this post a giant troll. Please don't interact.

And yet you and others chose to reply. If that's how you truly feel then why engage? It's like fuel to the fire. Why bother? Maybe it's age or my fathers' passing but I just don't have the time for negative energy nor do I understand it. I often ask myself, "Self can you do anything to control it?" If I can I will make the effort if not I let it go and keep on trucking.

You need to get flying and get that positive mojo cooking again.... ;-)

Last edited:
I consider myself a blue collar guy. Nothing better than getting my work boots dirty and my Carhartt shirts trashed kind of thing. I have always considered airline pilots as blue collar. Mainly because we operate big machinery, are unionized, and are labor in management's eyes.

Others I have talked to consider airline pilots as white collar, citing high levels of training and requirements. Something similar to lawyers and other white collar professionals with advanced training?

What do you think? I'm sticking with blue collar since it feels more natural to me.

The answer is whatever color Envoy wears.

Pilots are blue collar workers that like to pretend to be white collar.

it’s a heavy equipment operator job. Are busdrivers, cabbies, forklift operators, boat captains, back hoe operators, or factory process operators blue collar? Of course not - and neither are pilots.

I live in an area heavily populated by blue collar, manual labor/trades.

Generally speaking I spend a fair amount of effort concealing my salary, work schedule, and wealth to maintain a level social class. At the same time we’ve had to help the kids understand why not talking about what they “have” will help them fit in socially.

On a strict socio-economic classification, where I live, we would not fit in. We don’t have the same problems, issues or concerns. I don’t do manual labor like others etc.

While I don’t wear a suit, denim would be wholly inappropriate at my work place.

Despite all of the above I don’t consider myself to be “white collar”. While I say that I am not, my guess is that most who are true blue collar workers would consider me white collar, and due to reputation would probably consider most pilots white collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White collar with a gray inlay is the best answer to this and I'm sticking with it.

download.jpeg

nah gray collar is when you work as a legal cannabis dispensary
I didn't say "gray collar" - it's a white collar with a gray inlay on both my ACA and M&H shirts now - means you're a white collar, but you get to sweat here and there

And yet you and others chose to reply. If that's how you truly feel then why engage? It's like fuel to the fire. Why bother? Maybe it's age or my fathers' passing but I just don't have the time for negative energy nor do I understand it. I often ask myself, "Self can you do anything to control it?" If I can I will make the effort if not I let it go and keep on trucking.

You need to get flying and get that positive mojo cooking again.... ;-)

No negativity on my part. More of a PSA, IMO. Not a lot of posters always know a troll persona/troll post from a real one. If they're not regular poster. Just making them aware not to take the post seriously and engage.

Back