Are pilots blue collar or white collar?

Whatever the collar is, I guarantee you there are no sleeves.
No way man. Biggliest sleeves!

003D452B-1154-46CC-8726-8E1334165EF5.jpeg

I consider myself a blue collar guy. Nothing better than getting my work boots dirty and my Carhartt shirts trashed kind of thing. I have always considered airline pilots as blue collar. Mainly because we operate big machinery, are unionized, and are labor in management's eyes.

Others I have talked to consider airline pilots as white collar, citing high levels of training and requirements. Something similar to lawyers and other white collar professionals with advanced training?

What do you think? I'm sticking with blue collar since it feels more natural to me.

Blue.

You do, of course, on a small level earn money through decisions in the cockpit but on a managerial-level and upward, the board of directors are going to throw you a Capri Sun and tell you to go color in the corner.

We‘re labor. Every time a pilot, during a election year, starts going off about “Big Unions” or “Labor”, once they’ve tired themselves out, I will sometimes suggest what they think ALPA is.

Blue.

You do, of course, on a small level earn money through decisions in the cockpit but on a managerial-level and upward, the board of directors are going to throw you a Capri Sun and tell you to go color in the corner.

We‘re labor. Every time a pilot, during a election year, starts going off about “Big Unions” or “Labor”, once they’ve tired themselves out, I will sometimes suggest what they think ALPA is.
The thing that drives me bats is that a supposedly “white collar” office worker, unless they have a corner office and a whole bunch of people reporting to them, has more in common with a plumber or an airline pilot when it comes to labor/management relations but somehow we’ve got this thing going where if you work in a cube you don’t need a union or pro-labor political policies for some reason.

Both. At least in my sector. After you're done flying there many chores to do. Servicing the lav, cleaning goldfish crumbs out of the carpet, cleaning up rich people's empties, cleaning finger prints off of the windows, (why dammit?) stock the catering, etc. Then you have the paperwork...

Both. At least in my sector. After you're done flying there many chores to do. Servicing the lav, cleaning goldfish crumbs out of the carpet, cleaning up rich people's empties, cleaning finger prints off of the windows, (why dammit?) stock the catering, etc. Then you have the paperwork...

121 > 135/91

Back