Oh Delta VI

Of all the airlines, I wouldn’t have expected Delta to cut corners when it comes to their pilot training:

February 26, 2020

ALPA pilots,

I'm writing to alert you to an insidious new effort to reduce airline pilot training standards—and ALPA's safety-first collective action that has shut it down, at least for now. While any attempt to reduce pilot training standards prior to the tragic accidents involving the Boeing 737 MAX would have been irresponsible, the idea of cutting the quality of pilot training now is nothing short of aviation safety malpractice.

In January, Delta Air Lines applied to the FAA for an exemption from Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) that would allow the airline to use non-motion flight training devices in continuing qualification or recurrent line operational evaluations. The airline's leaders also asked the FAA to expedite the petition and waive the public comment period––an apparent effort to keep secret this anti-safety bid to reduce the quality of pilot training.

When Delta MEC leaders learned of their company's application, they raised the alarm and reached out to coordinate efforts with ALPA's national officers, Air Safety Organization leaders, and professional staff. The economic basis for Delta's exemption request became immediately apparent—and so did the risk to safety.

As ALPA members know, our union has long supported the use of full-motion flight simulators in training and qualification of pilots because they provide the highest quality training platform available. We support flight training devices for specific purposes in flight crew training and as a tool to bridge the gap between ground training and training in a full flight simulator with the motion operating. Let me be crystal clear, however, that ALPA is adamantly opposed to conducting any end-level evaluations, qualification, checking, or assessments using anything other than a full-motion flight simulator.

Following the proposal by Delta Air Lines, I reached out to the FAA together with first vice president Capt. Bob Fox to make clear that granting such an exemption would erode the safety of the U.S. air transportation system and set a dangerous precedent that other airlines would surely attempt to follow. We urged the FAA to dismiss any proposal that seeks to replace the use of full-motion flight simulators with non-motion flight training devices for qualification, validation, checking, or evaluation required under FAR Part 121 or FAA-approved Advanced Qualification Programs (AQP). At the same time, the Delta MEC Government Affairs Committee worked with key lawmakers on Capitol Hill to not only raise awareness of the serious risk, but also request their assistance in bringing sanity to the decision-making process regarding simulation requirements in pilot training.

Because of our union's commitment to safety and our collective action, Delta Air Lines withdrew its application. But we're not stopping there to ensure airline pilots receive full-motion simulator training when it's necessary. ALPA is working on Capitol Hill to block any similar anti-safety effort in the future. The Restoring Aviation Accountability Act—which was introduced in the Senate just this week by U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Edward J. Markey (D-MA), and Tom Udall (D-NM) and is supported by ALPA—seeks to, among other improvements to safety, prohibit the FAA from granting an exemption for the use of a non-motion training device to replace a full-motion simulator for validation, qualification, checking, or evaluation events.

Although we prevailed, and Delta Air Lines withdrew its application this time, those who put profit over safety will surely be back to try again. Then, as now, our unified front and support of the highest standards of pilot training will demonstrate ALPA's power and commitment to the safety of air transportation.

For 89 years, our union has never failed to put safety first. Not once. And with your help, we'll keep this momentum strong and our skies safe.

In unity,

DePeteJoe-200px.png

Capt. Joe DePete
ALPA President

You guys are the experts - union grievances aside, does it matter if the box moves?
Not an expert either but learning “well the procedures trainer does this weird thing or doesn’t replicate this, the FTD has this funky quirk, don’t worry, the sim doesn’t do that” then the sim it’s “the real airplane doesn’t do that” so some standardization would be nice.

Not an expert either but learning “well the procedures trainer does this weird thing or doesn’t replicate this, the FTD has this funky quirk, don’t worry, the sim doesn’t do that” then the sim it’s “the real airplane doesn’t do that” so some standardization would be nice.

I flew the full motion doohickey for the 738 during my ATOP weekend at CO. It was awesome, but I wasn't really in a position to know if made a meaningful difference in line training.

I think they wanted the option to use a non moving box for LOE during CQ. I don’t really have an opinion. We have some really good procedures trainers with controls just like the full motion simulator, but some of the newer ones are a complete joke with iPads and flat panel displays.

The CPT’s I used in 767 school were awesome, someo of the ones on the bus were “less than such”.

I get it that full motion is expensive. But im pretty sure every airline tries to reduce "time in the box" by adding in VPT/CPT/IPT all the trainers. Probably a 121 wide thing not limited to delta..

And then the airplane will do some other random dumb crap.
At least it's consistently inconsistent.

I think they wanted the option to use a non moving box for LOE during CQ. I don’t really have an opinion. We have some really good procedures trainers with controls just like the full motion simulator, but some of the newer ones are a complete joke with iPads and flat panel displays.

The CPT’s I used in 767 school were awesome, someo of the ones on the bus were “less than such”.
We oversped the flaps a couple times in cruise because someone slobbered or sneezed on the screen with the flap handle and it activated the touch screen.

I'll give 'em this: they were wise enough to back down.

But this seems to illuminate a rather shocking lack of awareness of strategic advantage on the part of Delta management.

Full motion training is expensive. But in percentage terms, it’s way less expensive for Delta than it is for ambitious competitors.

Perhaps Delta management has inhaled the zeitgeist and is banking on the idea that the exemption - especially if it is granted under double secret probation terms - will apply ONLY to Delta and not to any of its competitors… you know, the Trump admin “no precedent strategy”.

But, when you are a big, entrenched, legacy in any industry… onerous, expensive regulations are your friend. You should embrace them and wield them broadly and strategically. Most of them make the industry better and safer, but, crucially and selfishly, they make the industry better for you as the big entrenched legacy who can easily pay for them while your competitors struggle to do so. Regulations are a natural barrier to entry or a hobbling expense to your competition.

Would you rather not pay for expensive training? Sure. As management, you’d rather not pay for anything. Hell, if you could just run this business without any people involved, this would be a pretty damned good business. But do you really want to release your competitors from the burden of having to pay for those regulations? For you, those expenses are a pain in the ass and might reduce your bonuses a few hundred thou a year... For your competitors, those expenses just might be existential.

At the very least, if a particular regulation is less expensive for you than it is for your competitor, you should strive to keep the regulation; It provides you competitive advantage.

And that’s just the crass, mercantile rationale. There’s also the fact that most regulations actually do make industries better and safer.

For reference see: H.J. Heinz, corporate history.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt ‘the execs’ even know what you’re talking about. It’s probably some lower-level dude.
Are you my psychic friend? :biggrin: (yeah, even with a few beers in me, I realized that first post was a little ... well, a little ...)

I got to test the idea two CQ's ago. We just had the motion turned off on the lvl D sim. Other than the landing portion I didn't really notice much of a difference once we were in the air. Take off and landing were a different story. Take off was not bad but it was harder to time your normal rotation pull. Landing was by far the hardest I couldn't tell when we were on the ground until the other guy called spoilers up. That was my biggest complaint and put that in the notes.

Very interesting.

More broadly, it’s interesting getting slack from pilots from carriers that do a vast majority of their training on devices then throw their students in FFS for only five or six lessons.

Not that I’m in favor of the FTDs, glass houses, errr’where! :)

Very interesting.

More broadly, it’s interesting getting slack from pilots from carriers that do a vast majority of their training on devices then throw their students in FFS for only five or six lessons.

Not that I’m in favor of the FTDs, glass houses, errr’where! :)
Is FFS a thing students get thrown into? Or is it an abbreviation for, er, something more banal? In either case, FFS, what is do you mean by FFS?

Back