AS application question-employment history

Ya. That’s bad.

let’s see, 38 airplanes x 12 pilots per plane....

That’s bad? Being 84% of normal size by next summer is bad during the worst pandemic we’ve seen in 100 years?

Edit:

I see what you mean by the equation. That's 400-500 guys worth of planes. I believe we have enough of those people on 12, 18, and 24 month leaves. Based on that math, we should be fine.

This ALL depends on how lockdown version 2.0 goes in America.

Last edited:
The plan loosely described in the email has likely already been changed at least a couple times, and will change many more times I’m sure.
With the return of lockdowns, unemployment will rise again and people will not have money to spend on flying, and again even if they want to fly somewhere, what’s the point when you need to self quarantine for two weeks and nothing is open.
I fully expect to be out of a job by early spring at the earliest and fall at the latest. I’d love to be wrong and hope I am, but I can’t see how Alaska doesn’t ultimately furlough.

Recalling almost all 6 month and 9 month leave 73G CAs by January and expected to recall all 73G CAs by May. Why only CAs, why not FOs?

The chances of furlough has decreased IMO.

They might call those guys back and furlough FOs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an outsider at a different carrier, so perhaps I'm missing something, but (assuming the intent of CA leaves, CAs being higher paid, was to mitigate furloughs of the bottom) why would they recall CAs, furlough MOs, then pay to retrain a requisite number of downgrading CAs to qualify as FOs for the empty seats vacated by the furloughees, then pay to upgrade them again in the future? Doesn't make any sense. Then again, it's an airline.

I’ll give it about two to three weeks, the recalls will be cancelled and they will be talking furloughs, our load factors are terrible (rarely above the low 40s) even with the middle seat blocked, now the country is essentially returning to lockdown with the CDC telling people not to travel. Now way we don’t furlough, these lockdowns aren’t going anywhere until a vaccine is widely distributed and by then the economy will likely be crushed.

Do they base staffing levels based on future ticket sales at Alaska? Perhaps they have a big summer 2021 already sold.

I think we're being a bit short sighted here. Yes, things are bad. Yes, this winter will be abysmal. On the other hand we have two vaccines nearing approval. It looks like people will be receiving them the end of December and a significant portion of the population will be ready to come out of their homes in summer 2021. A couple articles I've read (I'll try to find a link) have said some economists think there is hundreds of billions in savings out there. People aren't going to catch up on the four haircuts they skipped but they will be itching to go on vacation, see friends and relatives, and generally get out and do stuff. I'd bet even the people that have fallen on hard times are going to be willing to put a couple airline tickets on the credit card and go. I could be wrong but I think its worth spooling up now to grab that business. I'd rather see that than be six months too late. Im not saying things are sure to roar back to 2019 levels but maybe it goes good enough and we start to get back on our feet. If I'm wrong you can remind me when you see me in the garlic bread line.

TL;DR Maybe we should think about ways things could go well instead of staring intensely into the abyss of despair

I think we're being a bit short sighted here. Yes, things are bad. Yes, this winter will be abysmal. On the other hand we have two vaccines nearing approval. It looks like people will be receiving them the end of December and a significant portion of the population will be ready to come out of their homes in summer 2021. A couple articles I've read (I'll try to find a link) have said some economists think there is hundreds of billions in savings out there. People aren't going to catch up on the four haircuts they skipped but they will be itching to go on vacation, see friends and relatives, and generally get out and do stuff. I'd bet even the people that have fallen on hard times are going to be willing to put a couple airline tickets on the credit card and go. I could be wrong but I think its worth spooling up now to grab that business. I'd rather see that than be six months too late. Im not saying things are sure to roar back to 2019 levels but maybe it goes good enough and we start to get back on our feet. If I'm wrong you can remind me when you see me in the garlic bread line.

TL;DR Maybe we should think about ways things could go well instead of staring intensely into the abyss of despair
I’m optimistic that my fam and I will have the vax by Inauguration Day. Seems more than a fair trade off for (so far) flying only one covid+ patient.

conversely, I don't really expect the high savings rate to continue once there are places to spend money again. Only so much junk you can order on Amazon
Nah. I think the other reason for it (I know it is in my case) is that we’re all worried about the immediate future.

Further congressional action would help with that. *stomps foot*

Back