Ames, IA and surrounding area

Nick2024

Hey guys/girls. I am just trying to get some info on the job options around these parts of the coutry. Any time splitting people out here? My family and I will be moving to the area in 2 years and I am just trying to get some kind of feel for the area for aviation in Iowa.

Nick

Alot of Class G airspace and GA operations, a few skydiving spots, three flight schools, alot of 137 operations in the summer time.

I'm at a busy FBO in Central IA. Iowa is good flying besides the winter, where you can go a couple weeks without flying.

Just checking in with you . How is flying going up there? Any new info or leads? I am going to be up there in October visiting family. Ames. Maybe we can link up for lunch or you can show me around the FBO?

Isn't there only 1 FBO at Ames, IA? I flew into there 2x in 2 weeks, and they have a really good BBQ place down the street, if that helps at all LOL. Besides that... It's IA.... Thunderstorms, corn, and Class G/E Airspace...

Hickory Park....now thats a solid joint! A lot of GA in the Ankeny area....I'd even go out on a limb and say the most GA traffic in Iowa

Update on my move to IOWA! My house is finally selling after 5 months on the dead market here in pflugerville, TX, Dropped the price A LOT and coming out of pocket in the 5 zero range :( but my wife wants to move so thats what we do! Anyone have any leads on flying jobs around central IOWA? I am at 770 TT 92 Multi. Half my TT is XC........We close end of March and should be up n Iowa end of April beginning May

Flight instructing... I don't know what else is around. Maybe something else down in DSM. Am over in OMA, let me know if you're ever in town.

DSM is a decent airport with a good amount of traffic. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but there looks to be a lot of corporate aircraft around when I'm there. Might be a good place to start networking.

Good luck!

Flight instructing... I don't know what else is around. Maybe something else down in DSM. Am over in OMA, let me know if you're ever in town.

Will do
I am actually flying up (Airlines) to interview with Exec 1 Aviation in Ankeny on the 15th I will be in town for 2 or 3 days

So if any local guys want to meet up for some beers count me in! I have no clue where the good places are though

Let me know how the aviation job market treats you up there. I grew up in Ames, left to go to college, join the Marines, etc. I'll be getting out in a couple years, and have thought about going back. I only wonder whether I can still handle the cold after so many years of living in the Sun Belt!

Back