Northwest Overshoot / Cert Action....

Re: DeltaWest Overshoots Destination....

Looks as if it doesn't matter if they were snoozing or on the laptops... either way the ax is gonna fall

I would think they could have a wireless card and connect to the internet on the flight even in the cockpit. I thought I read that Delta has added wifi connection to many of their airplanes...

767 to/from LAS had both personal entertainment and Wifi. Maybe they were on TruckMasters website....they might need it.

So what assistance, if any, can the union provide in defense of the two pilots? Things like pensions and 401k, etc, are affected when terminated...no?

Your mission, is to proceed up the Mississippi River, pick up the the path of Capt. Cheney at MSP, and terminate the Capt.'s command.

Terminate........with extreme prejudice

apocalypse+now+2.bmp

So what assistance, if any, can the union provide in defense of the two pilots? Things like pensions and 401k, etc, are affected when terminated...no?

If terminated, they can file a grievance on their behalf... not sure how effective that's going to be with all the media coverage though. The FO is probably most definitely hosed for talking to the media, almost every airline has very specific policies about NOT speaking to the media without permission from the company. One more nail in the coffin for him.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the bus have a warning tone or alpha protection enabled if TOD is missed?:dunno:

Someone correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the bus have a warning tone or alpha protection enabled if TOD is missed?:dunno:

I don't know how the Airbus/airlines work, but in the Citation you have to manually put in the descent profile in flight. Or at least, that's the way we did it. If they weren't paying attention for an hour, they probably forgot to do that, too.

If terminated, they can file a grievance on their behalf... not sure how effective that's going to be with all the media coverage though. The FO is probably most definitely hosed for talking to the media, almost every airline has very specific policies about NOT speaking to the media without permission from the company. One more nail in the coffin for him.

I don't see how or why a union should be defending these guys. Missing an airport because you were playing on your laptop is the kind of thing that warrants no protection from any union in my opinion. This isn't a simple mistake that could happen to anybody, this was willful neglect of common sense in my opinion.

I don't see how or why a union should be defending these guys. Missing an airport because you were playing on your laptop is the kind of thing that warrants no protection from any union in my opinion. This isn't a simple mistake that could happen to anybody, this was willful neglect of common sense in my opinion.

The union has to represent them no matter what. It's not the company they should be worrying about; it's the FAA!:panic: This is a question for any of you ALPA members. Would DALPA be able to help them against the FAA if there is certificate action taken against them?

There are responsibilities the union has to it's membership, in regards to disciplinary actions. The union IS bound to represent it's pilots, however, like I used to say when I was a grievance rep, "I can't save you from yourself". So these pilots will have their due representation, however, the union can NOT get a pilot excused from punishment when they've done something stupid.

A union is not a "get out of jail free" card. While I think they both have everything coming to them, it's a shame. They are very experienced with 30,000 hours between them and to BOTH do something so irresponsible is a real head-scratcher.

A union is not a "get out of jail free" card. While I think they both have everything coming to them, it's a shame. They are very experienced with 30,000 hours between them and to BOTH do something so irresponsible is a real head-scratcher.
So much for likening them to the mafia, eh? ;)

Even hearing all this I do believe there is still a part of the story we might never hear. I doesn't make the profession look good.

It's a legal proceeding and you always want representation to ensure a fair hearing.

Personally, I'm waiting for something official from the FAA. Remember, last week cable news was panicked over a boy trapped in a wayward balloon, I really don't trust they're handling this issue any better.

I haven't seen anyone say this in this thread yet, but if they wern't sleeping, and they wern't arguing...then...you know, maybe something else was going on.

Just sayin'.

I haven't seen anyone say this in this thread yet, but if they wern't sleeping, and they wern't arguing...then...you know, maybe something else was going on.

Just sayin'.
FO: "you're dangerous"
CA:"That's right...I am dangerous"
FO: "You big stud you... take me to bed or lose me forever."
Take my breath awaaaaaaaaaaay.

Back