You're the FO...

Just put green dot in anything with speed tapes. Done.

IMHO not that simple. The green dot is a derivative indication -- it only shows that one speed for L/D max for current weight/config. That's a bit like saying you don't need an ADI because your heading scale, airspeed, and altimeter tell you what attitude you are in.

If it was me you were copping such an attitude with, there wouldn't be a call to Pro Stands. The parking brake would be set, the call to scheduling would be made to remove you from the trip, and you'd be seeing the Chief Pilot. I'd caution you to be a lot more diplomatic in how you handle such disagreements with captains. I've never seen an FO come out well in representations when a captain has written them up for such things. I remember a representation for an FO who got written up by a captain because the captain wanted the clearance and the ATIS written on a napkin and left on the center console. The FO refused to do it. Granted, the captain was a bit of an •, but he is the captain. I represented the captain and the FO rep represented the FO. The FO ended up losing pay and getting a verbal warning that further insubordination would result in suspension. The captain got nothing except a reminder from me that maybe he shouldn't be such a jerk. I suspect he didn't listen. Such is his right.

As an FO for probably the most captain centric airline out there, I'd have to remove myself from the flight, because I'd be laughing so hard, I wouldn't be able to preform my duties after a conversation like that. This isn't my first rodeo, I fully support the concept that it's the captains airplane, and I've got plenty of time previously, as a captain and check airman. But if a Captain ever gave me attitude like that about a technique, I'd walk right off the jet. And I'm pretty sure flight ops management and HR wouldn't hang me over it. Feel free to write the ATIS/clearance wherever you like boss, here, want to borrow my holiday inn pen.

i-am-a-chicken-hawk-1.jpg

Good topic....
I just started at an airline as as FO. Never been an FO before, myself. So, there I am newest of the newbies with the senior-"est" of the captains on my first day. Here is the guy who literally wrote the SOP's. Problem is, he was the sloppiest pilot I've flown with in my career in 135. Taxiing well off CL, sleeping in cruise, yakking below 10K constantly, missing radio calls.... I could go on. So, I am prepping myself for the upcoming 4 day with this guy. I am trying to balance the diplomatic/new-guy tone with the "hey let's clean this up, stay out of trouble" tone. My plan is three tier: Plan A: Hey, I am the new guy very interested in solidifying my procedures, so I would appreciate it if we stuck to the book this trip. If A fails, then plan B is: Look, I have real concerns that 1. we are setting out selves up for trouble and 2. I am getting negative reinforcement of my training, I think it is very important to stick to the book. and C is: If this does not improve, I am going to call the CP and let him know about it.
Hoping it does not come to B or C. Not excited about making a name for myself so early in the game (if at all). Anyone, care share any pro's/con's or improvements to my plan?

So true.. That was the point of me mentioning being cognizant of what the CA thinks of your flying. However, the event that I am referencing was a seriously deficient captain that got fired a few months after we flew together. He was absolutely afraid of the FO not being in full automation to the last minute possible... he felt it was unprofessional not to do so, insisted his crew go out with him on layovers in full uniform, and other levels of d-baggery.
He went unnoticed up to CA upgrade ?

Every time there's an accident, you rush into the thread to bash the flying skills of the crew. Happens without fail.
Well, over half of all plane crashes are due to pilot error, so I suppose he's at least half right. ... depending on how you define "mad skillz" of course. ;)

Hand flown the 330 with frozen pitots at night in moderate to severe turbulences with airspeed and vertical speed discrepancies over the CZIT much ? Please tell us all about it.

Necro post reviving a 1.5 yr old thread?

I don't recall the context of what "mad skillz" was for. AF447 has been discussed many times before. They correctly identified the problem but then failed to apply the procedure for it. Or to just leave it alone and not touch anything. The pairing of a ab initio FO with 2900 hrs and a relief FO who was actually a management pilot flying to get his landing every 3 months was certainly not the best of pairings. It is what it is, and lessons were learned from the entire accident.

Good topic....
I just started at an airline as as FO. Never been an FO before, myself. So, there I am newest of the newbies with the senior-"est" of the captains on my first day. Here is the guy who literally wrote the SOP's. Problem is, he was the sloppiest pilot I've flown with in my career in 135. Taxiing well off CL, sleeping in cruise, yakking below 10K constantly, missing radio calls.... I could go on. So, I am prepping myself for the upcoming 4 day with this guy. I am trying to balance the diplomatic/new-guy tone with the "hey let's clean this up, stay out of trouble" tone. My plan is three tier: Plan A: Hey, I am the new guy very interested in solidifying my procedures, so I would appreciate it if we stuck to the book this trip. If A fails, then plan B is: Look, I have real concerns that 1. we are setting out selves up for trouble and 2. I am getting negative reinforcement of my training, I think it is very important to stick to the book. and C is: If this does not improve, I am going to call the CP and let him know about it.
Hoping it does not come to B or C. Not excited about making a name for myself so early in the game (if at all). Anyone, care share any pro's/con's or improvements to my plan?

I know this is an old post, but whatever happened with your 4 day with this CA?

Back