FO turns into Alexander Haig on rollout

Disrespect is disrespectful.

Good luck with all that. I bet it’s not over at any rate.

Mil or not, his attitude is poor. Plain and simple there.

Ive had some interesting interactions with the other pilot in the past.
Sometimes it was resolved over a debreif later, sometimes right at that moment. Either way, its a crap feeling and it effects your flying.

Random different stories. Most nearly all of it boils down to the attitude displayed that is borderline disrespectful. I never did that kinda thing to a CA ever.

That’s curious. I haven’t been in the left seat as long as you, but I’ve yet to run across this. I had one guy that needed everyone to know he was senior to me for some reason, but everyone got over that pretty quickly.

That’s curious. I haven’t been in the left seat as long as you, but I’ve yet to run across this. I had one guy that needed everyone to know he was senior to me for some reason, but everyone got over that pretty quickly.

Sure.

I'll give an example.

@///AMG I think you asked for an example as well.

Apparently (?) not many know this, but on the 737NG if you're a derated climb (CLB 1 or CLB 2), you can do something to remove that and go normal climb power. Otherwise, you have to wait until 15,000 ft at which point the R-CLB is removed and you have normal CLB power. You can literally delete the active derated climb by bringing up the N1 page on the FMC, hit the delete button, and drop it on L6 or R6 (the active Reduced CLB 1 or CLB 2). That will remove the derate climb. Above your N1 gauges, you will see R-CLB change to just CLB. And you now get full CLB power. This is all spelled out in the Systems Handbook.

First leg ever with the FO, I don't know the guy. I gave him nothing as far as a wall for CRM. We literally met 45 minutes prior at the gate, got ready, and just took off.

Departing SEA at 4,000 ft we get a request for best rate of climb to expedite through 15,000. As I was hand flying, I asked him could you please delete the derate climb so we get full climb power? He doesn't do anything. So I ask again, politely of course, normal tone. He doesn't do anything. It seems he doesn't know. So in a normal polite fashion, I tell him it's on the N1 page, and click delete and drop it on R6 (which is where CLB 2 active is). This will delete the derate climb and gives us full climb power now. Instead of waiting for 15k because they want best rate of climb now and expedited up to 15k.

So this FO says to me, and I kid you not, in a RUDE tone, "well I don't know what you are talking about. So why don't you put the autopilot on and you do it yourself."

It wasn't the words so much as it was the tone. I can't replicate tone writing on a forum, but it was completely disrespectful and uncalled for, in the manner he did.

So I put the AP on, and I showed him this is what I was referring to. I didn't drag out any convo because we're below 10k. Just here's the N1 page, click delete, drop it on R6, and now our R CLB is removed and we get full CLB power. Now any NORMAL First Officer would have said "oh, I see, thanks, I learned something new..."

Not this guy. He literally grunts and then turns right and stares out his window.

But the rude harsh tone he took when making the statement of "I don't know what you are talking about, so you put the AP on and you do it yourself" is something I would have never done to a CA in my 11 yrs of flying as a FO.

Frankly, if I was FO, I'd be embarrassed that I didn't know you could do that after being 3 years on the airplane.

It's not what you know or don't know. Nobody is perfect. But one thing that is under your COMPLETE control is your attitude, your tone, your friendliness. Some people are just d*cks. Even in the right seat.

Sure.

I'll give an example.

@///AMG I think you asked for an example as well.

Apparently (?) not many know this, but on the 737NG if you're a derated climb (CLB 1 or CLB 2), you can do something to remove that and go normal climb power. Otherwise, you have to wait until 15,000 ft at which point the R-CLB is removed and you have normal CLB power. You can literally delete the active derated climb by bringing up the N1 page on the FMC, hit the delete button, and drop it on L6 or R6 (the active Reduced CLB 1 or CLB 2). That will remove the derate climb. Above your N1 gauges, you will see R-CLB change to just CLB. And you now get full CLB power. This is all spelled out in the Systems Handbook.

First leg ever with the FO, I don't know the guy. I gave him nothing as far as a wall for CRM. We literally met 45 minutes prior at the gate, got ready, and just took off.

Departing SEA at 4,000 ft we get a request for best rate of climb to expedite through 15,000. As I was hand flying, I asked him could you please delete the derate climb so we get full climb power? He doesn't do anything. So I ask again, politely of course, normal tone. He doesn't do anything. It seems he doesn't know. So in a normal polite fashion, I tell him it's on the N1 page, and click delete and drop it on R6 (which is where CLB 2 active is). This will delete the derate climb and gives us full climb power now. Instead of waiting for 15k because they want best rate of climb now and expedited up to 15k.

So this FO says to me, and I kid you not, in a RUDE tone, "well I don't know what you are talking about. So why don't you put the autopilot on and you do it yourself."

It wasn't the words so much as it was the tone. I can't replicate tone writing on a forum, but it was completely disrespectful and uncalled for, in the manner he did.

So I put the AP on, and I showed him this is what I was referring to. I didn't drag out any convo because we're below 10k. Just here's the N1 page, click delete, drop it on R6, and now our R CLB is removed and we get full CLB power. Now any NORMAL First Officer would have said "oh, I see, thanks, I learned something new..."

Not this guy. He literally grunts and then turns right and stares out his window.

But the rude harsh tone he took when making the statement of "I don't know what you are talking about, so you put the AP on and you do it yourself" is something I would have never done to a CA in my 11 yrs of flying as a FO.

Frankly, if I was FO, I'd be embarrassed that I didn't know you could do that after being 3 years on the airplane.

It's not what you know or don't know. Nobody is perfect. But one thing that is under your COMPLETE control is your attitude, your tone, your friendliness. Some people are just d*cks. Even in the right seat.
Please tell me this was a former QX person...because this sounds like something I've heard about a person that went QX to AS...

Either way, sorry that you dealt with that...some people's children.

Are these mostly problems with younger guys? Seems like typical younger millennial and Gen Z behavior.

I've rarely had problems with Z's and Millennials.
X'ers also are usually good about this.
Boomers trying to collect a few more years of pay at or near retirement are nightmares.
Not all boomers, but the troubled ones are almost always the ones who were bounced out of a bunch of operations or scabbed
(or both)

People are people and hate to say it but some of them suck.

By suck I mean been intentionally unsafe. Generally, to "save time." Or have been bigots. Few and far between but they exist sadly.

I cannot even imagine…is there a way to tell if one is ever close to being THIS type of FO? Id like to think id be opinionated if the CPT tried to fly us into a rock, but short of that, to ever approach this level…ugh. Id like to think this is no where near the norm. (I only ask this because this is the third post this week Ive seen about problem FOs).

I cannot even imagine…is there a way to tell if one is ever close to being THIS type of FO? Id like to think id be opinionated if the CPT tried to fly us into a rock, but short of that, to ever approach this level…ugh. Id like to think this is no where near the norm. (I only ask this because this is the third post this week Ive seen about problem FOs).

I’m just a FO as well (and very new), so I wouldn’t take this as any sort of wisdom, but I‘d be surprised if anyone wondering the same question as you, is part of the problem people.

@Cherokee_Cruiser that’s weird man. People get too worked up about stuff. This is the most stress free flying I’ve ever done. Why go out of one’s way to make it not so?

Looks like I've started a bit of a "Me Too!" movement here at this outfit lately. All these other Captains are coming up to me now with their particular story about how they've had an unbelievably 'out-of-line' experience with this same FO. My only question to them is, "Why didn't you file a report with the Chief Pilot?" I guess I'm the first one to officially report this guy. It's too bad those other Capts kept all this to themselves, but hopefully this guy will get counseled and can begin to get his behavior under control, especially if he thinks he's going to run the place. We don't have "No Fly" lists here, so I will be paired with this individual again in the near future.
I can't wait...

Looks like I've started a bit of a "Me Too!" movement here at this outfit lately. All these other Captains are coming up to me now with their particular story about how they've had an unbelievably 'out-of-line' experience with this same FO. My only question to them is, "Why didn't you file a report with the Chief Pilot?" I guess I'm the first one to officially report this guy. It's too bad those other Capts kept all this to themselves, but hopefully this guy will get counseled and can begin to get his behavior under control, especially if he thinks he's going to run the place. We don't have "No Fly" lists here, so I will be paired with this individual again in the near future.
I can't wait...

This is one of the best reasons to bail for the airlines…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back