FO turns into Alexander Haig on rollout

Vegas Off Weekends

FO’s flare is slightly high and the touchdown is rolled on in the landing zone about 2500’ down the rwy. The runway slopes downhill at this point. We are on speed, but very fast due to our heavy weight. It is imperative that there is no delay in activating the Thrust Reversers (TRs) as we are eating up a lot of runway.

I mention to the FO, “OK, Let’s get the TRs out…”

FO was delaying activation of the TRs to the interlock position to the point where I felt I needed to say something. There was an almost 2 second delay after the nose had been lowered when I finally prompted him to activate the TRs. He was EXTREMELY annoyed that I asked him to do so.

He angrily blurted out, “NO! YOU SIT THERE AND MONITOR, I’LL FLY!” as the TRs finally started to come out. I was being verbally reprimanded by the FO for saying something.

I had lost control of the cockpit CRM. The FO was absolutely sure that his technique in delaying TR activation was the correct course of action. He felt I was absolutely in the wrong for mentioning anything. In his mind, I was “whining” about his delayed TR activation. His bloated ego had instantly promoted himself to Capt, and I had been relegated to FO.

After parking and shut down, I tried to initiate a debrief by again mentioning that we needed to get the TRs out a little sooner to save some brake wear and ensure we can make the exiting taxiway easily. Instead of apologizing or admitting he was a little late in getting the TRs out, he cut me off and raised his voice again:

“I physically can’t extend the TRs for 1.4 seconds after the engines are in idle, so I’m not going to do it! I’m not that other guy who tries to rip the TRs out the throttle quadrant!” he yelled. The FO’s understanding of how the TRs function is incorrect. The delay is from interlock to Detent 1, not from idle to interlock.

When a Capt asks an FO to do something, the FO is not expected to retort in retaliation during a critical phase of flight. When the aircraft is chocked we can talk about it if it was an uncomfortable situation. FOs certainly DO NOT reprimand the Capt for suggesting to operate the aircraft in the manner in which the Capt requests. FOs are expected to speak up in cases involving safety of flight. This was not the case.

The FO’s response to the TR suggestion was unprofessional and out of character for any pilot in any company. CRM went out the window during roll-out on that landing. Snapping at a Capt because one’s pride is hurt is an egregious breach of CRM. The FO’s conduct during this situation was unsat and will not be tolerated..

FO’s flare is slightly high and the touchdown is rolled on in the landing zone about 2500’ down the rwy. The runway slopes downhill at this point. We are on speed, but very fast due to our heavy weight. It is imperative that there is no delay in activating the Thrust Reversers (TRs) as we are eating up a lot of runway.

FO was delaying activation of the TRs to the interlock position to the point where I felt I needed to say something. There was an almost 2 second delay after the nose had been lowered when I finally prompted him to activate the TRs. He was EXTREMELY annoyed that I asked him to do so.

He angrily blurted out, “NO! YOU SIT THERE AND MONITOR, I’LL FLY!” as the TRs finally started to come out. I was being verbally reprimanded by the FO for saying something.

I had lost control of the cockpit CRM. The FO was absolutely sure that his technique in delaying TR activation was the correct course of action. He felt I was absolutely in the wrong for mentioning anything. In his mind, I was “whining” about his delayed TR activation. His bloated ego had instantly promoted himself to Capt, and I had been relegated to FO.

After parking and shut down, I tried to initiate a debrief by again mentioning that we needed to get the TRs out a little sooner to save some brake wear and ensure we can make the exiting taxiway easily. Instead of apologizing or admitting he was a little late in getting the TRs out, he cut me off and raised his voice again:

“I physically can’t extend the TRs for 1.4 seconds after the engines are in idle, so I’m not going to do it! I’m not that other guy who tries to rip the TRs out the throttle quadrant!” he yelled. The FO’s understanding of how the TRs function is incorrect. The delay is from interlock to Detent 1, not from idle to interlock.

When a Capt asks an FO to do something, the FO is not expected to retort in retaliation during a critical phase of flight. When the aircraft is chocked we can talk about it if it was an uncomfortable situation. FOs certainly DO NOT reprimand the Capt for suggesting to operate the aircraft in the manner in which the Capt requests. FOs are expected to speak up in cases involving safety of flight. This was not the case.

The FO’s response to the TR suggestion was unprofessional and out of character for any pilot in any company. CRM went out the window during roll-out on that landing. Snapping at a Capt because one’s pride is hurt is an egregious breach of CRM. The FO’s conduct during this situation was unsat and will not be tolerated..

Agreed. Never had an FO be that confrontational, but if it happened, they wouldn’t be flying the rest of the trip.

I'm not sure, being outside the industry, but wouldn't this be an issue for "pro standards" or whatever the responsible department might be called?

I sat a desk before I retired but there were often times that people's lives hung in the balance. As the senior guy in the room who was responsible, I'll be damned if a person of lesser experience was going to question my judgement, especially if they were clearly wrong.

Can't work it out with me? Fine, lets take it to the bosses ...

That's really bizarre. I keep hearing the stories of these strange ranger FO's. I don't get it. Is this an issue of guys/gals who were once regional CAs who are having a hard time playing FO again?

I'll admit that my first landing on a snow covered runway, I was like "double rainbow" dazzled, and for some reason just reverted to my old muscle memory in my other airplane that doesn't have TRs of stopping at regular idle and getting on the brakes. CA is like "TRs" and then I had a normal human response of 1) deploying them, and 2) saying "sorry that was pretty dumb!". Life doesn't have to be so hard. This is literally the easiest flying job in the world. It's so chill. Why would anyone want to introduce drama into that?

I'm not sure, being outside the industry, but wouldn't this be an issue for "pro standards" or whatever the responsible department might be called?

I sat a desk before I retired but there were often times that people's lives hung in the balance. As the senior guy in the room who was responsible, I'll be damned if a person of lesser experience was going to question my judgement, especially if they were clearly wrong.

Can't work it out with me? Fine, lets take it to the bosses ...

Yes, the captain could certainly call pro stands to hopefully get someone to talk some sense into the FO. But if it’s the middle of a trip and there is more flying to be done, something more immediate needs to happen to make sure the behavior doesn’t continue during the trip.

So how did it end? There is a lot missing in this story.

Is this an issue of guys/gals who were once regional CAs who are having a hard time playing FO again?

Partially it’s that. For some it’s the younger CA syndrome. And some are just aholes. Or having a bad day because of some bad personal issues at home (eg, divorce).

So how did it end? There is a lot missing in this story.
We’re a relatively small cargo outfit servicing the Central and Northeast part of the country. This guy was in the Navy and has connections. He is buddy buddy with our current CEO, and I believe he thinks he’s the next CEO. All of us are worthless minions to be disregarded because of our civilian backgrounds. If he gets his way - I’ll be looking for a new job. No way will I work for him in any capacity whatsoever.

I posted this in “You’re the Capt” because I wanted to know if any other Capt’s have come across anything like this guy.
How would you handle this guy if you knew you had to fly with him next month?
What would be some examples of the conversations you would have?

Wow….just wow! Times have changed. Glad I’m retired. I would‘ve never spoken to a Capt like that when I was an f/o. 99% of the f/o’s I flew with were professional and courteous even if they didn’t agree with me. I did have one who got a little mouthy (bordering on disrespectful) when I asked him to do something a certain way much like the OP’s story. He was a well known problem f/o. It didn’t turn out well for him. I’ll just leave it at that.

The f/o probably should’ve just done what the Capt requested/demanded and voiced any concerns/opinions/questions after block in and settle it there or elevate it to pro standards. It’s still the Capt’s airplane.

Wow….just wow! Times have changed. Glad I’m retired. I would‘ve never spoken to a Capt like that when I was an f/o. 99% of the f/o’s I flew with were professional and courteous even if they didn’t agree with me. I did have one who got a little mouthy (bordering on disrespectful) when I asked him to do something a certain way much like the OP’s story. He was a well known problem f/o. It didn’t turn out well for him. I’ll just leave it at that.

The f/o probably should’ve just done what the Capt requested/demanded and voiced any concerns/opinions/questions after block in and settle it there or elevate it to pro standards. It’s still the Capt’s airplane.

I'd had a couple FOs do something that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing to a CA when I was a FO for a total of 11 years.

We’re a relatively small cargo outfit servicing the Central and Northeast part of the country. This guy was in the Navy and has connections. He is buddy buddy with our current CEO, and I believe he thinks he’s the next CEO. All of us are worthless minions to be disregarded because of our civilian backgrounds. If he gets his way - I’ll be looking for a new job. No way will I work for him in any capacity whatsoever.
Interesting. How far removed from the navy was he? Is he old or young? Old, there may be nothing you can do and he's a mishap waiting to happen. Young-ish, and he may understand CRM and servant leadership. That is, if he was even an aviator in the Navy.

Sounds like you have a very safe, healthy culture if it is as you describe.

Interesting. How far removed from the navy was he? Is he old or young? Old, there may be nothing you can do and he's a mishap waiting to happen. Young-ish, and he may understand CRM and servant leadership. That is, if he was even an aviator in the Navy.

Sounds like you have a very safe, healthy culture if it is as you describe.

Yeah this is barfy. I hope he isn't actually navy. Because that is disappointing to me if so. OP feel free to PM me his details, I can probably tell you if he is a •bag, at least if his story involves flying F-18s.

Back