You need a mile to depart on a 135 flight.

Eligible on-demand with an SIC that meets the requirements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ah yeah, that would do it. I’ve only done single pilot so I forget that EOD is a thing and what it can do.

I’ve also only done single pilot but we have EOD in our ops specs.

Another answer, if the airport is in uncontrolled airspace at the surface (Class G) and the pilot can ensure adequate VFR cloud clearance requirements are met until reaching controlled airspace, the pilot can depart VFR and file a CYA Pirep. This is also assuming daytime ops. At night, or controlled airspace at the surface, no bueno.

There’s also always the Mr. Chow approach.
B58C011A-D4FC-45DF-882C-8860979FD268.gif

EOD only gives the crew the option to shoot an approach without weather reporting and land if they have the flight vis. Doesn’t say anything about taking off.

Don’t look at me....an FAA lawyer wrote that junk.

EOD only gives the crew the option to shoot an approach without weather reporting and land if they have the flight vis. Doesn’t say anything about taking off.

Don’t look at me....an FAA lawyer wrote that junk.
Yup. EOD means you can get in, but you can't get out.

Right, but the presupposition from the OP was that after checking all the boxes and doing the flow chart he still needed 1 SM to blast off.
Yes. Need a mile. Looking down the runway, it’s obviously over that. ( but NOT vfr), and awos is stuck on 1/2 or 3/4....

1. The FAA’s position is that the AWOS is controlling for the entire field, even if conditions vary on the field. As far as the FAA is concerned, if the AWOS says it’s less than a mile, it’s less than a mile, despite the fact that you can see more than a mile. The legal department has issued a letter on this and if I can find my copy I’ll update this post with the details.
2. AWOS devices use an averaging function when determining visibility. When visibility is improving it is common for the AWOS to lag by about 15 minutes. Sometimes all you need to do is wait a little bit to be legal.
3. Some locations have poorly located weather facilities that produce erroneous readings. Point Hope (PAPO) is a good example: structures near the weather station cause blowing snow to swirl around the visibility sensors. It is not uncommon for its AWOS to be reporting low vis while the cameras show good vis. Depending on your company’s relationship with the FSDO, it may be OK to dispatch to or from such a location; we would do it at the handful of known problem airports because we had systems that could prove to the FSDO that conditions really were better than what the AWOS was reporting. I’d guess that the vast majority of pilots aren’t in and out of the same uncontrolled field on a regular basis, so it’s likely that few are in a position to work out an understanding with the FSDO, but I bring it up because @ppragman, @Capt. Chaos, @Roger Roger and a few others here probably have faced similar circumstances.
4. Any time you find yourself operating at a field where the AWOS and your eyeballs disagree you should report it to the FSDO and ATC. FSDOs do keep track of problem areas and can help get problem areas fixed.

Take a picture and send it in an email to your CP and the FSDO. The weather station says x but here is what I see. Create an evidence trail that their equipment isn’t functioning as advertised.

You’ve lined up on the 7000 ft runway and can see the tree line past the other end of the runway at an uncontrolled field. AWOS is calling it a 1/2 mile.

What to do......what to do.....?
Cancel release. Depart VFR. ;)

1. The FAA’s position is that the AWOS is controlling for the entire field, even if conditions vary on the field. As far as the FAA is concerned, if the AWOS says it’s less than a mile, it’s less than a mile, despite the fact that you can see more than a mile. The legal department has issued a letter on this and if I can find my copy I’ll update this post with the details.
2. AWOS devices use an averaging function when determining visibility. When visibility is improving it is common for the AWOS to lag by about 15 minutes. Sometimes all you need to do is wait a little bit to be legal.
3. Some locations have poorly located weather facilities that produce erroneous readings. Point Hope (PAPO) is a good example: structures near the weather station cause blowing snow to swirl around the visibility sensors. It is not uncommon for its AWOS to be reporting low vis while the cameras show good vis. Depending on your company’s relationship with the FSDO, it may be OK to dispatch to or from such a location; we would do it at the handful of known problem airports because we had systems that could prove to the FSDO that conditions really were better than what the AWOS was reporting. I’d guess that the vast majority of pilots aren’t in and out of the same uncontrolled field on a regular basis, so it’s likely that few are in a position to work out an understanding with the FSDO, but I bring it up because @ppragman, @Capt. Chaos, @Roger Roger and a few others here probably have faced similar circumstances.
4. Any time you find yourself operating at a field where the AWOS and your eyeballs disagree you should report it to the FSDO and ATC. FSDOs do keep track of problem areas and can help get problem areas fixed.
The FSDO nor a POI can wave a regulation or reinterpret a interpretation. It's literally irrelevant what their opinion on the matter is when the lawyers get involved for whatever reason.

The FSDO nor a POI can wave a regulation or reinterpret a interpretation. It's literally irrelevant what their opinion on the matter is when the lawyers get involved for whatever reason.
Agreed. We showed the FSDO and our POI that the AWOS was giving bum readings by having them look at the camera and the AWOS simultaneously. There were no repercussions when we continued to go into those airports while the AWOS was reporting low vis. There wasn’t a waiver or reinterpretation, and there weren’t any issues. Like in a lot of situations in Alaska, common sense prevailed.

How is it not VFR if it’s daytime, class G at the surface?
Great question. In this scenario lets say it’s 300 obscured in mist. Remaining clear of clouds would be problematic.

Then in that case my first answer stands. Call FSS, break the AWOS, taxi back and enjoy the FBO lounge or hotel, depending on your duty situation.

If I needed an official observation and it was showing 1/2 mile, but I think I could see a mile, I'd be in the FBO watching Jerry Springer.

There's no "on time, on target, or Americans DIE" in the commercial aviation business.

If I needed an official observation and it was showing 1/2 mile, but I think I could see a mile, I'd be in the FBO watching Jerry Springer.

There's no "on time, on target, or Americans DIE" in the commercial aviation business.

Right but conversely if you don’t leave you’re stuck in Yankton, SD for another day. Which is basically a fate worse than death for you and your passengers. ;-)

As for when this actually happens, under 135 where the option is there to go VFR, I’ve been in this situation a bunch of times. When fog is covering half the field and the AWOS and it’s clear and 1-million on my side of the airport I’ll routinely depart VFR if I can justify it and as long as safety isn’t compromised. @Plata listed the blowing snow thing - I’ve seen that before too.

If it’s marginal in any way though I wouldn’t depart.

Back