You need a mile to depart on a 135 flight.

Itchy

You’ve lined up on the 7000 ft runway and can see the tree line past the other end of the runway at an uncontrolled field. AWOS is calling it a 1/2 mile.

What to do......what to do.....?

You’ve lined up on the 7000 ft runway and can see the tree line past the other end of the runway at an uncontrolled field. AWOS is calling it a 1/2 mile.

What to do......what to do.....?

What do your opspecs say? Do you have C057 and what’s the lowest straight in category I approach mind to that airport. That’s the first question. We need more context first.

What do your opspecs say? Do you have C057 and what’s the lowest straight in category I approach mind to that airport. That’s the first question. We need more context first.
You need a mile to depart. You have a mile for realz, but the awos (installed somewhere else on the field, or whaky) is reporting less than a mile.

You need a mile to depart. You have a mile for realz, but the awos (installed somewhere else on the field, or whaky) is reporting less than a mile.
I think you already know the answer. In 135 we’re bound in most cases by official reports and observations regardless of what reality may be. With an untowered airport your bag of tricks is a lot shallower too. I assume no RVR either?

I should have had the sarcasm tag. Though I’m sure that’s happened.

I've done it when it's fog. Clear and a million but the AWOS is calling 3/4 mile because it sits in a bowl? That's exactly what VFR is for.

Now I've seen people do it the other way - calling M1/4 and fog and they call the AWOS and give an erroneous report and blast anyway under VFR - that's bad. <rolls up newspaper>NO!

I've done it when it's fog. Clear and a million but the AWOS is calling 3/4 mile because it sits in a bowl? That's exactly what VFR is for.

Now I've seen people do it the other way - calling M1/4 and fog and they call the AWOS and give an erroneous report and blast anyway under VFR - that's bad. <rolls up newspaper>NO!
Skagway, when they’re sweeping the runway in spring and dust get into the vis sensor...

Back