"With you"

He also taught me to avoid using to or for unnecessarily in transmissions, i.e. don't do this: "Departure,... is with you, 5 for 9." Instead say: "... is 5 climbing niner thousand."

Callsign and altitude(s) on check-in, and restriction(s) if applicable. Not too tough to do. At least it shouldn't be.

"With you", "checking in/on" are just redundant word fillers. The above method already implies that you're doing both.

"With you" is a disease.

So is "Left final."

And... if you can go two weeks without saying "And" before a radio call, you get a gold star in your logbook. Good luck!

When I was doing my instrument training my instructor beat into my head to never use the phrase "with you" when communicating with ATC. He had a story of being on a busy frequency and a controller went off on an aviator for using it. However, I hear this phrase being used all the time when flying IFR, and no one seems to object.

He also taught me to avoid using to or for unnecessarily in transmissions, i.e. don't do this: "Departure,... is with you, 5 for 9." Instead say: "... is 5 climbing niner thousand."

Although I agree with him and think what he taught me sounds more professional, I hear pilots saying "with you" and the like all the time. While I always think of what he taught me when I hear it, I was wondering if it really matters and/or if anyone really cares?

I think your instructor taught you well, and if you're teaching your students the same way, they'll thank you later. 90% of US pilots don't know how to use a radio.

I've actually heard "10-4" on the radio before...:bang:

I can see, for example, "final 25L" or something like that. Something specific.

I'm talking about non-towered airports with one runway and people make a radio call saying they are "left final for runway________." Left downwind= OK. Left base= OK. But 'Left final' doesn't make sense.

I always want to hear one of these guys say something like "I COMMAND YOU TO LANNND" :D
I have heard a tower controller say something to the effect of "You will turn base when I command you to"
It's true, we do sound like a bunch of truckers over here. I even heard a NY center controller recently tell an aircraft to "Cross 40 this side of CAMRN at 14,000." So, 40 miles from CAMRN on the side Long Island is on? :D

I am going to listen for this, I hear pilots read it back that way a lot, but I don't recall hearing a controller issue it that way. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Should be south or southeast.

I am going to listen for this, I hear pilots read it back that way a lot, but I don't recall hearing a controller issue it that way. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Should be south or southeast.

Yeah, it stuck out to me as well. Hadn't heard (or noticed) a controller using that phraseology before. Probably just a one-off instruction...nobody's perfect. :)

"By your command"

It was actually in response to a query by an aircraft who had been told to extend his downwind and thought he had been forgotten. There was another aircraft with radio problems in the pattern.

"with you" "checkin in" "onboard" are useless filler words that make you sound like a backbirth.

I'm on a quest to eliminate filler from my radio calls (other than a good morning/afternoon/evening on initial checkin with tower/ground). Cherokee base to final six Hoonah. Tower AirTaxi Ninety-one, battleship. Left Charlie contact ground AirTaxi ninety-one.
I still catch myself using "aaaand" or "comin' up on" more frequently than I'd like. Also the occasional "uhhhhh" when I don't remind myself what my destination is before I click the button. Point soandso two point five for uhhhhhhhhh Haines.

Back