Why not buy a multiengine airplane for time building?

PVG_SGO

100 hour multiengine time will cost about 18,000 USD. I heard someone sells multiengine airplane about 40k. why people always like to pay the flight school not buy a multiengine ? If I can find 2 or 3 students to training together it's gonna be cheaper.

Kind of confused.

100 hour multiengine time will cost about 18,000 USD. I heard someone sells multiengine airplane about 40k. why people always like to pay the flight school not buy a multiengine ? If I can find 2 or 3 students to training together it's gonna be cheaper.

Kind of confused.

I would figure that a $40k multi-engine aircraft is probably going to cost you about that much in maintenance too. For $40k you're probably looking at an ancient Apache/Aztec. It seemed like the engines were the only things that worked in the one I flew.

Plus you'd more or less be limited to selling it to someone looking to do what you're doing, as the market for slow multi engine a/c is pretty small right now.

It's never the purchase price that is hard to swallow, it's the mx, fuel, and insurance.

...and then you are stuck with an airplane. Lose an engine, $20k, need an annual, just start at $10k and go from there. Apaches have recurring prop ADs and insurance companies have really high rates on them.

Just rent it.

ME market has been soft for years and probably will continue to be so. If you buy one, you may very well be stuck with it.

Kind of confused.
Are you gambler? There have been many people who have built their multi-time using the buy/fly/sell model. For some, it worked out great. For others? Not so much.

First off for the business model to work, you've got to buy/fly/sell within one year if at all possible. The most ideal scenerio is to buy the plane with a fresh annual, get your 100 or 200 hours out of it in the first couple of months and get it sold before you have to put another annual on it. Also ideal is to buy the plane outright instead of getting a loan so you can forego the need to insurance on it. Just don't bend it while you own it. If you can do it this way, and you manage to resell the plane at 98% of what you paid for it or better, then you can build multi time very economically.

But like I said, that's a big gamble. What if you end up toasting an engine a month after you buy it? What if the gear won't come down one day and you have to belly it onto a runway? What if the market tanks and you can't sell it within a year, and it needs an annual? Then renting suddenly becomes the cheaper option in all those cases. The thing that makes renting attractive for time building for so many people is that you know going in exactly what its going to cost you. With the buy/fly/sell model, you can only guess at what it will cost you and you need a whole bunch of ducks to line up perfectly in order for that number to become a reality. Renting is more expensive, but it's also the safer gamble.

I think there's enough guys on here who need multi time to each pitch in and buy one. 50-guys at $1,000 a piece.... get your time in it and then sell your $1000 share to another member ... just an idea :)

I think there's enough guys on here who need multi time to each pitch in and buy one. 50-guys at $1,000 a piece.... get your time in it and then sell your $1000 share to another member ... just an idea :)
Just where exactly would we base it?? I vote for Michigan.

Why not select a base easy to get in/out of and where there's an A&P willing to swap labor for flight hours.

I know where a really nice 1958 PA23/160 is that could fit the bill very nicely. IFR equipped (and current ) with a IFR GPS. :bandit: Around 3900TT- Left eng 800 SMOH, Right eng 300 SMOH, New Hartzell (no ad ) props.

In all seriousness, this is what I did. Bought the thing and have put around 150 or so hrs on it. Got my Aztec job because of it. I have traded all the regular maintenance and two annuals with the local A/P-IA for him to get his multi rating in it. Has averaged about 16-18 gallons per hour and have had no parts expense other than oil filters,but I do need to replace a burned out landing light. I haven't spent $500 in parts yet. I did pay around $1000 to get my GPS updated with new software to be able to continue using it IFR.

It has worked out very well for me so far.

I have traded all the regular maintenance and two annuals with the local A/P-IA for him to get his multi rating in it.

It has worked out very well for me so far.
Man, I'll say, plus it uses less fuel than an A36 Bonanza!
How many hours has the A&P flown? Did you sign him off, too?

Man, I'll say, plus it uses less fuel than an A36 Bonanza!
How many hours has the A&P flown? Did you sign him off, too?

He flew it around 8-10 hrs to get the rating and has flown it a few times more in the couple of years that I have owned it. He is a friend and we sometimes go up together to stay IFR curent. I am not an instructor but "we" have a mutual friend who is and that is who we use for instruction.

I run it conservatively and will get around 125-135 kts. It's really a great little plane.

He flew it around 8-10 hrs to get the rating and has flown it a few times more in the couple of years that I have owned it. He is a friend and we sometimes go up together to stay IFR curent. I am not an instructor but "we" have a mutual friend who is and that is who we use for instruction.

I run it conservatively and will get around 125-135 kts. It's really a great little plane.

As much as I love radial taildraggers, I have thought that an old Apache, Travel Air, or C-310 (and I am talking old - 1950's) would be a neat machine for personal travel. Something with the original Apache/Travel Air/C-310 scheme so it looked "period". I really dig some of the old colors too - like white with turquise and black trim, or the Apache scheme with red and black trim. Saw a picture of a polished aluminum 310 once and that looked really neat.

Back