Why not buy a multiengine airplane for time building?

As much as I love radial taildraggers, I have thought that an old Apache, Travel Air, or C-310 (and I am talking old - 1950's) would be a neat machine for personal travel. Something with the original Apache/Travel Air/C-310 scheme so it looked "period". I really dig some of the old colors too - like white with turquise and black trim, or the Apache scheme with red and black trim. Saw a picture of a polished aluminum 310 once and that looked really neat.

My next one might be a super nice Travel Air. I really like those planes.

I'm in Honolulu,Hawaii. I'm training in PHNL. A class B airspace.

If we can find about 10 to 15 people to do that. That's not a bad idea. We could
even buy a better multiengine airplane with low engine time. Maybe 60K? 1970s? 1980s?

My idea is why wo don't establish an organization based on an multiengine airplane. Every member is responsible for the maintain, annual,insurance.....

I think 20 people would be the best.

For example, an airplane cost 60K, then 3000 USD is for the membership. When a member finish his time building, he/she can sell the membership to other people. That's would be a non-benefits organization.

Owning is entirely too much of a headache. Way too many hidden costs and it really is just a big gamble and the odds are not in your favor. Your going to spend lots of money anyway so why not put it toward time building without the hassle. I had a friend that was asking me about getting into ownership with him and i decided it just wasn't worth it. So much money up front and a huge potential for loss.

Plus im not sure where your time building for $18,000 for 100 hours. This place will get you 100 hours for just $7,500. No way ownership is easier then this. www.multi-enginetime.com The website doesn't say 7500 but it is there current price.

Owning is entirely too much of a headache. Way too many hidden costs and it really is just a big gamble and the odds are not in your favor. Your going to spend lots of money anyway so why not put it toward time building without the hassle. I had a friend that was asking me about getting into ownership with him and i decided it just wasn't worth it. So much money up front and a huge potential for loss.

Plus im not sure where your time building for $18,000 for 100 hours. This place will get you 100 hours for just $7,500. No way ownership is easier then this. www.multi-enginetime.com The website doesn't say 7500 but it is there current price.

There's got to be a catch to that. You could barely (if even) cover fuel in a Seneca for $75/hr.

There's got to be a catch to that. You could barely (if even) cover fuel in a Seneca for $75/hr.

They charge that price per person. So they are pulling in 150 per hour. The way they are able to make money is they do a lot of flying in a short amount of time. Cuts the overhead of things like monthly insurance and parking when ur doing 50 hours a week vs. 20 at a flight school if they are lucky. And the seneca does pretty well on fuel consuption.

I'm sure the catch is that they take your money and then go bankrupt. They do have a campus in Florida - beware!

They took my money and i made it through no problem. I looked around and no one had any bad things to say. I fell for ATP's 'real world' cross country and wasn't happy with the fact they dont let you fly anywhere. With this company i went from florida to california and back.

Seems practical to me :crazy:

cricri1.jpg

Honestly though, got my Multi in an Aztec, right before they put on new engines (62k) After insurance, scheduled maintenance, fuel, unscheduled maintenace, purchase price, unscheduled maintenance, taxes, unscheduled maintenance, plus the hassle of it all, just bite the bullet. I'd say buy the hours (most mom and pops will give you a block rate) and retain your sanity.

100 hour multiengine time will cost about 18,000 USD. I heard someone sells multiengine airplane about 40k. why people always like to pay the flight school not buy a multiengine ? If I can find 2 or 3 students to training together it's gonna be cheaper.

Kind of confused.

They are money pits!

100 hour multiengine time will cost about 18,000 USD. I heard someone sells multiengine airplane about 40k. why people always like to pay the flight school not buy a multiengine ? If I can find 2 or 3 students to training together it's gonna be cheaper.

Kind of confused.

Get a couple thousand piston twin hours and you won't be confused.

I'm new to this site and just noticed this thread. For what its worth, I decided to buy a twin instead of going the CFI route. I'm in law enforcement and trained new cops for 5 years. I dont wanna ruin my hobby by training new pilots. I've owned a few different single engine aircraft for about 17 years. Instead of renting, I decided to sell my Skylane and buy a twin in order to build time. I decided on the twin comanche because of the 165kt cruise @ 16gph. The insurance is costing me $3600 yr and the annual will probably cost around $4-5k if nothing needs fixing or replacing. My goal is to get 200 hrs done by the end of this summer and I've got 125 so far which has cost me about $8500 in gas. The total "per hour" cost with fuel, maintenance and insurance will cost me about $22,000. It would have cost me about $44,000 if I rented. The situation may be a little different for me than most wannabe pilots because I'm already an aircraft owner. The only extra cost is the difference between the twin and what I was spending on the single engine aircraft I already owned. I'm 44 years old and I'm hoping to get some kind of aviation job before I'm too old to be marketable.

I don't know, maybe my math is flawed but if you payed 8500 just for fuel and logged 125 hours that comes out to 68 dollars an hour just for fuel. 3500 for insurance/200 hours = 17 an hour. 68 + 17 = 85. Add in the dozens of quarts of oil you will need plus any potential maintenance(starters, alternators, spark plugs, mags...) and charts and your coming in waaayy over 75 an hour. How is this saving anyone money over going with a time building company?

I checked into the time building schools and what I found was that they split you up with another pilot. One does the flying under the hood while the other acts as safety pilot. Supposedly both can log the time legally. However, I was told that a lot of employers will only recognize the time you were actual pic and not just sitting right seat as co-pilot. I also found that a lot of employers wont give much credit to MEI's for the time they log during multi training.

I also had to consider that, since I am on the west coast, I would have to add in travel and hotel expenses since most of these time building places are on the east coast. I'm not claiming the time building outfits are not an economical way to build multi time. I just decided against it based on my research which left me with the options of either renting at the local FBO for $220hr or buying my own twin so I chose buy. I agree that its definately not for everybody but it was a good option for me. Either way, building time to make ourselves marketable in aviation is very expensive considering what we will make if and when we get hired.

I checked into the time building schools and what I found was that they split you up with another pilot. One does the flying under the hood while the other acts as safety pilot. Supposedly both can log the time legally. However, I was told that a lot of employers will only recognize the time you were actual pic and not just sitting right seat as co-pilot. I also found that a lot of employers wont give much credit to MEI's for the time they log during multi training.

I also had to consider that, since I am on the west coast, I would have to add in travel and hotel expenses since most of these time building places are on the east coast. I'm not claiming the time building outfits are not an economical way to build multi time. I just decided against it based on my research which left me with the options of either renting at the local FBO for $220hr or buying my own twin so I chose buy. I agree that its definately not for everybody but it was a good option for me. Either way, building time to make ourselves marketable in aviation is very expensive considering what we will make if and when we get hired.

The FARs are not fuzzy at all about the safety pilot logging PIC. You can, and you should.

Kind of confused.

I guess you never owned a multi, eh? :rotfl:

The FARs are not fuzzy at all about the safety pilot logging PIC. You can, and you should.

Agreed. I have yet to see one company specifically say safety pilot time is worthless. You get out of it what you put in. If you take it seriously you will learn from it. If you decide to fall asleep in that role then of course its worthless time.

I've pondered the same question, it would be nice to have something to show for all the dang money that we chunk at these birds. All I end up with is a fil of receipts. Like many have said the initial cost would not be so bad, it's all the other stuff. I don't think anyone even mentioned hangar cost, that's gonna be another 150-250 bucks a month right there.

Back