Which Distace Course Is Better? AGS or Sheffield?

M20B_pilot

I am already studying for the ADX test and I've decided to sign up to take one of the DLC classes starting in January. My problem now is that I can't decide whether I want to take the AGS course or the Sheffield course. The biggest thing I wonder about is how the online course info is presented. Both schools say they use Powerpoint presentations along with videos. I just wonder how attractive the slides are. I know that may sound silly, but it's harder for me to study something online when the material is presented in a non-attractive way. It worries me that Sheffield's website looks so outdated. I'm wondering if their online course looks the same. AGS has a much better and easier to use website. That's making me lean towards going with them. Who here has had experience with one or the other and what feedback can you give me about how visual attractive the information was presented. Thanks!

Call the schools you are interested in and explain what you want to do but that these are your concerns. The may show you a sample or two.

Also see if you can get in contact with 2 or 3 people from each school that took the DLS course recently and ask their opinion. If the school won't give you that information, ask if they would pass on your contact information to them.

Hope that helps.

F9dxer

Call the schools you are interested in and explain what you want to do but that these are your concerns. The may show you a sample or two.

Also see if you can get in contact with 2 or 3 people from each school that took the DLS course recently and ask their opinion. If the school won't give you that information, ask if they would pass on your contact information to them.

Hope that helps.

F9dxer

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I went to Sheffield for the 5 weeks class, so I am not able to comment on how their distant learning program but I do know they didn't take a final, it was more of a prep oral with the instructor and if you were ready, you'd be singed off to take the practical.

AGS looks like a good program, I did look at their school sometime ago and they also include ETOPS, EWINS and International Flight Planning in their course where Sheffield doesn't - it's an extra set of workshops.

Good luck to you!

I went to Sheffield for the 5 weeks class, so I am not able to comment on how their distant learning program but I do know they didn't take a final, it was more of a prep oral with the instructor and if you were ready, you'd be singed off to take the practical.

AGS looks like a good program, I did look at their school sometime ago and they also include ETOPS, EWINS and International Flight Planning in their course where Sheffield doesn't - it's an extra set of workshops.

Good luck to you!

To state or lead people to believe that a dispatcher certification program instructs EVERYTHING about International ops, ETOPS, and EWINS all within FAR Part 65 AD course per Appendix A, which includes only introductions/descriptions of ETOPS and EWINS, is misleading at best and false at worst. Some schools will tell you what the letters stand for - some actually still think ETOPS is 'twins only' according to their web page. So a statement like this from an individual does not help these schools. All of these schools, including mine, likely offer different quality and quantity of these 3 general types of operations. For example, if Sheffield would insert the 6 days (or ~ 45-50 hours) of the latter training workshops into the 200-hour AD certification course, we would NOT be able to cover the 20-25% of the minimum FAA requirements, which would not be good. It would be illegal. Other schools should not be indicted by this misleading generalization. They all know the rules. Sheffield chose the thorough workshop route to help even more of our grads increase their job prospects - seems to have worked. Eric Morris - President - Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

To state or lead people to believe that a dispatcher certification program instructs EVERYTHING about International ops, ETOPS, and EWINS all within FAR Part 65 AD course per Appendix A, which includes only introductions/descriptions of ETOPS and EWINS, is misleading at best and false at worst. Some schools will tell you what the letters stand for - some actually still think ETOPS is 'twins only' according to their web page. So a statement like this from an individual does not help these schools. All of these schools, including mine, likely offer different quality and quantity of these 3 general types of operations. For example, if Sheffield would insert the 6 days (or ~ 45-50 hours) of the latter training workshops into the 200-hour AD certification course, we would NOT be able to cover the 20-25% of the minimum FAA requirements, which would not be good. It would be illegal. Other schools should not be indicted by this misleading generalization. They all know the rules. Sheffield chose the thorough workshop route to help even more of our grads increase their job prospects - seems to have worked. Eric Morris - President - Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

I have to agree with with Mr. Morris has posted here, I suggest anyone who is looking at going to school if it is LD or taking the full 5-6 weeks to review CFR 14 part 65 subpart C.

I cannot speak for the workshops that is offered at Sheffield, it will give you a good understanding of those areas....If you were to start out at major, chances of you working ETOPS and anything International starting out is slim to none, you need at least a year on the job. I am not sure about 121 supplemental or 135 since I have only worked at 121 domestic.

AGS hands down...... great people, great school, logical method, and very reasonable.

They use the 737-300

PM for more info if you want :)

AGS hands down...... great people, great school, logical method, and very reasonable.

They use the 737-300

PM for more info if you want :)

How are the online presentations? Is it mostly videos or PowerPoint slides? I'm still on the fence on which online program I want to give a try.

I'm not sure.... I did the fast track program since I was a pilot and had a lot if experience with dispatch. However I heard the full program isn't bad at all. They use aids to get you going and then tie it altogether.

I did the Flamingo Air Academy and found that it was a very good course. I also did the Sheffield course and found that the information was too much for me as I am not a very good student online. The big difference between the schools in my opinion is Flamingo Air allows you to learn how to look information up in the FAR's, Gleim WX Book, etc. while Sheffield's teachings are based upon memorization. Good luck!

I did the Flamingo Air Academy and found that it was a very good course. I also did the Sheffield course and found that the information was too much for me as I am not a very good student online. The big difference between the schools in my opinion is Flamingo Air allows you to learn how to look information up in the FAR's, Gleim WX Book, etc. while Sheffield's teachings are based upon memorization. Good luck!

Were you able to look up this information during your practical?

I personally don't want a dispatcher that has to look up how to calculate alternate minimums, or when you can omit an alternate for that matter.

I personally don't want a dispatcher that has to look up how to calculate alternate minimums, or when you can omit an alternate for that matter.

I heard a rumor while I was at Sheffield that they were the only school that taught how to calculate alternate mins, is that true??

I don't see how that is hard to do and why the need to look that up? And if you need to look up the 1-2-3 rule...they you shouldn't be dispatching since that is dispatching 101.

Exactly Todd. That's why I'm not a fan of the teach you how to look stuff up approach. Some stuff just is so vital that I would not sign off a dispatcher if they had to look it up. Less vital stuff I'm happy if you know where to find it in the manuals.

Yes, the oral part of the exam is open book. If you don't know the answer, be able to know where to look it up.
That's what happened to me, needed to look up some reg's in FAR 121 for my oral. One was the T/O mins for an airport not listed in your ops specs...

Remember determining alternate minimums IS NOT an FAR requirement. That is a waiver to the FAR's granted by the FAA to an individual certificate holder per their OPSPECS (ie C55). Not all certificate holders will have that authorization. Thus it is not required to be taught in a formal setting.

All authorized deviations to the FAR's are done via OPSPECS to each individual certificate holder.

Just curious, when you were taught the fuel requirements for a flag flight did the school cover the OPSPEC waivers that you could be working with (ie B43 and B44)? I am guessing no, again because it is not an FAR requirement.

Nothing wrong with looking stuff up and knowing where to find it. Yet if you have to look up everything to pass your oral, IMO you were not ready for it.

F9DXER said:
Just curious, when you were taught the fuel requirements for a flag flight did the school cover the OPSPEC waivers that you could be working with (ie B43 and B44)? I am guessing no, again because it is not an FAR requirement.

You are correct - they did not...

Back