'We'll consider that checklist completed'

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
You have all of your precheck items complete. The Captain has just finished talking about how much a new set of golf cart tires set him back. The rampers bring you the CLR and the flight attendants give you the count and close the door. The captain says "We'll call the 'Before Start' check complete." What do you do FO?

In addition to what @Mark815 said, either "I'm new to the machine, just wanna make sure I didn't miss anything" or "I've been in this POS for such a long time I can't remember if I got everything this leg or not"

Or, the nuclear option, "ok, I can just get off the airplane if you're not comfortable operating by the SOP"

In addition to what @Mark815 said, either "I'm new to the machine, just wanna make sure I didn't miss anything" or "I've been in this POS for such a long time I can't remember if I got everything this leg or not"

Or, the nuclear option, "ok, I can just get off the airplane if you're not comfortable operating by the SOP"

I guess it's possible I don't know much about performing checklists, but that wouldn't ever be really necessary, would it?

The soft touch probably works a lot better...I hope.

I guess it's possible I don't know much about performing checklists, but that wouldn't ever be really necessary, would it?

The soft touch probably works a lot better...I hope.

That would be your last option.

However, if more attention is paid to things that don't ensure the airplane is safe and ready to fly, it would make one wonder how much attention would be paid once things get serious.

Gentle persuasion usually works add we are all susceptible to a distraction.

It is never acceptable to forgo/skip a checklist. (we are not talking about emergencies in the air and severe time crunches where you may not have a choice to finish one or start another, depending on the circumstances) No matter how tired you are, how much of a hurry you are in, how much you think you know, how annoying it feels to you or whatever. They are there for a reason, even though after a time they become ingrained in your memory or you think they have been. The reading of them, the responses and actions mean something. They make you focus and you know without a doubt, what has been addressed. They are the standards that you must use each and every time.

It's the one thing, the one time you didn't do it or check/confirm something, that can bite you in the ass, cause an issue and possibly kill you at some point. It's better to "do" while thinking and observing the task at the same time. If you begin skipping the check lists or parts of them, and can't perform the basics, what else are you going to be haphazard about, accept or guess on?

Complacency has no business in the office. Ever. All you need to do is start reading a few accident reports where check lists were skipped, missed or not completed and the end results. I don't care if you have 1,700 hours or 25,000 hours. Follow the correct procedures and do them on every flight. It's your job as the Captain to mentor your crew and not only set the example, but to be the example and not pass along your bad habits and half-assed attitude to your crew.

Last edited:
I'll leave the FO/CA to do the originating sometimes while I do the walk around. By the time I'm getting to the tail, the APU should be starting up. If not, slow CA/FO! :)

That thing should be running when I get back though. At which point, all the bold item checks can be completed. Anyone that considers something to be complete, when its not, is not only going in my personal poop list, but isn't getting home any sooner either.

Alas, if you're not there, there are things that can be "completed" that only the CVR knows about...

You have all of your precheck items complete. The Captain has just finished talking about how much a new set of golf cart tires set him back. The rampers bring you the CLR and the flight attendants give you the count and close the door. The captain says "We'll call the 'Before Start' check complete." What do you do FO?
"Cool, Before Start to the line, preflight checks..."

This, basically. It's not only an SOP problem, it's an FAR problem. The use of the checklist is required by regulation, and it's a rule that I'm disinclined to violate.

I'd go solo and get it on the CVR. If the captain blows a tire.. or a errr… golf cart salesman… you know that's going to come up during the hearing.

Agree with the above. I'd just read it myself to make sure everything was done. I bet the CA won't skip another checklist for the remainder of the trip.

Ever wonder where those CA's developed their bad habbits? They were FO's once.

Actually happened to me a few months ago. Captain was tired after a long day and didn't want to run the Shutdown checklist. I just did it myself and made sure everything was done.

Back