Wait period for med cert after quitting non-approved med

clenaghen

I am a new private pilot student and several weeks before I started my flight lessons I quit taking a non-approved anti-depressant, mainly because I wanted to quit taking it, but at the time I was thinking about taking flying lessons and knew that it was not an approved medication.

So, fast forward a couple months and I decide to start taking lessons. I schedule my medical exam knowing that the AME is booked out several weeks. I have my exam and in disclosing that I was taking a non-approved medication up until 3 1/2 months ago, I am told that I will not be issued my medical cert and student pilot cert because the FAA requires a 6 month wait period (and a letter from my doc). This is a huge surprise to me since I have not seen this stated anywhere, but doing research online I see some references to there being a 90 day wait period after getting off medication.

So, looking for some feedback from someone who might know for sure. I am past the 90 day period, but would be somewhat in training limbo if I have to wait until August.

Anyone have an answer on this?

Back