Volunteering

It was pretty awful. It made me sad more than anything...the reminder that this is how so many humans are. Truly a sad state of affairs.
Makes me sad too. When you think of all the money that so many large corporations have that they could free up do some really remarkable, seriously life changing accomplishments with to help others and how little any of them actually do towards that end, it's sickening. They seriously don't need all the outward trappings.(yeah I am the CEO and I really need that imported red silk wall covering crap from Hong Kong in my office to go along with my carved by hand bocote wood desk) None of that nonsense makes them more successful, let alone a better person than any one of their employees. But like many individuals as well - it's all about themselves/me. Ugh.

Reactions: Tld
I have a concept where licensees teach a class. Let's call it "Paint Nite for Dudes." I think 10% should go to kids-based charity and one of every twenty classes should be for Scouts or high school students. Licensees (instructors) will get 65% and the company gets 25%

Is this a good idea? Or should I can it?

(Note: it's not "Paint Nite," but the business model is similar)

I volunteer at the church of "I got two kids and do it by myself when I'm home."

Karate and Dance class doesn't leave me a whole bunch of time. So I guess that makes me un-hireable. But it also makes it so someone doesn't have to volunteer to help me raise my kids.

I'll go against the grain and say volunteer whether you really have a desire to or not. If it's something that improves your chances it's more or less required, And you need it for the resume. I coached a YMCA T Ball team and ended up having a great time with it (I didn't have kids at the time)....If you've served in the military, my god it's rediculous that you would need to check another box about "service to community" IMO.

I'll go against the grain and say volunteer whether you really have a desire to or not. If it's something that improves your chances it's more or less required, And you need it for the resume. I coached a YMCA T Ball team and ended up having a great time with it (I didn't have kids at the time)....If you've served in the military, my god it's rediculous that you would need to check another box about "service to community" IMO.

When I was in the Navy we helped young foreign women who were wanting to become unwed mothers. It was really fulfilling....

When I was in the Navy we helped young foreign women who were wanting to become unwed mothers. It was really fulfilling....
image.jpeg

As with others on here, it makes me mad that this stuff is part of the hiring process. I totally understand why and how it looks to recruiters but it causes a disadvantage for a lot of people. I have two kids and 12 days off a month. I would not have a wife and only partial custody of my children if on my 2.5 days off at home I go "hey Hun, I am going to peace out tonight because I'm a volunteer firefighter or police officer, or build houses for HFH." With that B fest out of the way, thanks to my wife we volunteer as fosters and home check people for a local specific breed of dog society in our area. She obviously does most of it just because she is home but believe me, I participate in the foster process, have picked up dogs, and done home checks so that counts. That and I'm a committee chairman for our union. That's all I can do. Still crickets from the big company's but maybe one day.

No worries, it's a short cut some airlines use.

If I could show you 100 resumes, 95% of them have the same items. Number grids, lengthy descriptions of what a pilot does to make filler, a quick blurb about education and it really helps to start the conversation about who you are apart from being a pilot. We're all pilots, but what are your interests? Am I going to want to stab you in the face or pretend not to notice you in the terminal during a challenging trip?

It's a conversation starter, don't overthink it.

No worries, it's a short cut some airlines use.

If I could show you 100 resumes, 95% of them have the same items. Number grids, lengthy descriptions of what a pilot does to make filler, a quick blurb about education and it really helps to start the conversation about who you are apart from being a pilot. We're all pilots, but what are your interests? Am I going to want to stab you in the face or pretend not to notice you in the terminal during a challenging trip?

It's a conversation starter, don't overthink it.

That's nice. But what have you done for the union, volunteer-wise? That's all we care about.

:)

Reactions: Tld
As with others on here, it makes me mad that this stuff is part of the hiring process. I totally understand why and how it looks to recruiters but it causes a disadvantage for a lot of people. I have two kids and 12 days off a month. I would not have a wife and only partial custody of my children if on my 2.5 days off at home I go "hey Hun, I am going to peace out tonight because I'm a volunteer firefighter or police officer, or build houses for HFH." With that B fest out of the way, thanks to my wife we volunteer as fosters and home check people for a local specific breed of dog society in our area. She obviously does most of it just because she is home but believe me, I participate in the foster process, have picked up dogs, and done home checks so that counts. That and I'm a committee chairman for our union. That's all I can do. Still crickets from the big company's but maybe one day.

If the airlines wanted you to have a wife and 2 kids, they'd have issued them to you.

That's nice. But what have you done for the union, volunteer-wise? That's all we care about.

:)

It's been a long time.

Granted it's been almost 20 years of "go away, stop asking" but then the new administration wants me to get involved right as I got tangled up in another project. "Maybe".

Wouldn't it be easier if they just had "Are you an •" Y or N.

Recruiter: "Do you work well on teams?"

Applicant: "Nope! Can't say I do. I like to call in sick and take the kids to Disney too, WHY WONT YOU HIRE ME?!"

Recruiter: "Look! Holy cow! This applicant has cross country time! Look at that description of his duties at work! Get over here! Bring HR!" :)

And it's not that "oh, you're a piece of crap if you don't volunteer!" It's not that at all. The reason volunteering helps is because no matter how great of a person/pilot you are, there are literally thousands of resumes that look EXACTLY like yours. They can't interview everyone, there just has to be something that sets you apart from everyone, whether it be meeting the right people at a job fair or volunteering.

You have to find something that sets you apart.

Back