Volunteering

As with others on here, it makes me mad that this stuff is part of the hiring process. I totally understand why and how it looks to recruiters but it causes a disadvantage for a lot of people. I have two kids and 12 days off a month. I would not have a wife and only partial custody of my children if on my 2.5 days off at home I go "hey Hun, I am going to peace out tonight because I'm a volunteer firefighter or police officer, or build houses for HFH." With that B fest out of the way, thanks to my wife we volunteer as fosters and home check people for a local specific breed of dog society in our area. She obviously does most of it just because she is home but believe me, I participate in the foster process, have picked up dogs, and done home checks so that counts. That and I'm a committee chairman for our union. That's all I can do. Still crickets from the big company's but maybe one day.

With respect, and some level of understanding ...

I raised two kids, as well, and had a single day-off weekly for damned near twenty-two years. All of us have the same 168 hours per week to spend as we choose. I never got a job, personally, because I volunteered at anything. My volunteering DID make a difference to my community as a whole, to a handful of specific people who might not be here otherwise, and to me as an individual.

You make a difference, whether you hear from the "big company," or not.

Isn't that kind of the point, when everything's said-and-done?

No worries, it's a short cut some airlines use.

If I could show you 100 resumes, 95% of them have the same items. Number grids, lengthy descriptions of what a pilot does to make filler, a quick blurb about education and it really helps to start the conversation about who you are apart from being a pilot. We're all pilots, but what are your interests? Am I going to want to stab you in the face or pretend not to notice you in the terminal during a challenging trip?

It's a conversation starter, don't overthink it.
So a logbook covered in cat piss would definitely go to the top of the stack then?

Certain pheromones can influence, and what better pheromone is there than the one of the most butthead of the buttheads! Gatitos!

So a logbook covered in cat piss would definitely go to the top of the stack then?

Certain pheromones can influence, and what better pheromone is there than the one of the most butthead of the buttheads! Gatitos!

Sigh. No.

Something to "de grid" your resume, present a little about your personality and give the evaluator something to roll with.

Or not. Actually, most of my friends that are tying to get on already know this and you'd just be the competition. :)

All flight time grids, you're a pilot, not a carpenter and give me half page (filler) descriptions of your leadership roles as captain, they may not know what a captain is. Bold that "University of Phoenix" and the amount of "actual instrument"! :)

Most States/local departments have provisions for this very thing. Although almost all departments state that a Reserve Officer meet the same training requirement, it does not necessarily mean that you must attend the academy full time. Most departments understand that a Reserve officer has other jobs/obligations so they conduct training sessions in the evenings/weekends that, in the end, meet the legislative training requirement. Also, the in-service training is the same as for a full-time Officer but classes are held many times in order to accommodate the shift hours of the department.

If this is what you're interested in, don't cross it off your list until you check with the specific department that you are interested in.

I've researched in Georgia several times. It just isn't done in Georgia, which sucks of course.

Sigh. No.

Something to "de grid" your resume, present a little about your personality and give the evaluator something to roll with.

Or not. Actually, most of my friends that are tying to get on already know this and you'd just be the competition. :)

All flight time grids, you're a pilot, not a carpenter and give me half page (filler) descriptions of your leadership roles as captain, they may not know what a captain is. Bold that "University of Phoenix" and the amount of "actual instrument"! :)
So what you're saying is that we should put other non aviation related activities on our resumes?

I like playing hockey, trying to play golf, brewing beer. If I could actually have s conversation about something other than airplanes at a job fair, I would be elated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So what you're saying is that we should put other non aviation related activities on our resumes?

I like playing hockey, trying to play golf, brewing beer. If I could actually have s conversation about something other than airplanes at a job fair, I would be elated!

I would heavily suggest non-aviation related interests on your resume.

But what in the world do I know? I guess.

So what if the screener is a teetotaler who plays baseball and hates golf?

I would heavily suggest non-aviation related interests on your resume.

But what in the world do I know? I guess.
Stupid question...

Where would I put it? Just trying to stand out.

Hey, @Derg,

If you have several different volunteer activities, would you suggest a completely new section on your resume to describe them like you would describe your previous employment? I've always tried to keep my resume to one page, but with the extra information would a two page resume be appropriate?

Hey, @Derg,

If you have several different volunteer activities, would you suggest a completely new section on your resume to describe them like you would describe your previous employment? I've always tried to keep my resume to one page, but with the extra information would a two page resume be appropriate?

Do you not have a "community service" section on your resume? Or are you just asking if it would be worth it to expand it?

Just my .02 on volunteering.

I think airlines are looking for a well rounded individual, not just a good pilot. Why? Well, we can say HR now has a bigger role and not just "pilots hiring pilots" OR it can be seen as "with the many good pilots applying, how to we find the best for our future"?

So, what do you do? Well, think about how you function. Most pilots don't just fly a trip and go home to watch Netflix. If you do, there is time in your life to plug into things that you can call a "hobby". If you don't, you spend time doing other things. You have kids and help coach their sporting events? You enjoy the outdoors and help with events? Your wife loves dogs and keeps adopting them? You run races that happen to support good causes? You donate money for a tax break to charities?

My resume popped up for a few different interviews. Some I turned down, because they were the result of a blanket application thought years ago when things went south, others were legit, but in the end not a good fit. It wasn't my qualifications and flight time that made a difference. Can that be proven? Nope. What I can tell you, is at my DL interview there was just as much talk about other activities as there was on actual flying. There is volunteering for work related functions- ALPA committee(s), office functions, company projects, instructor positions, etc. There are also personal functions- dogs? Humane society. Outdoors? Local conservation groups. Runner? Local charities. Church? Community outreach programs. Donations? National Charities. Sports and have kiddos? Coaching. Active in your neighborhood community? Home owners association. Kids in school? PTA. Wife's company has events for charities? Lend a hand.

There are plenty of other options that you may have depending on your hobbies and other skill sets. Think about what you are doing with your time outside of work and while at work. I can tell you there are plenty of "work" options, regardless of carrier. If you can't do company things, think about Union functions. Some are simple. New hire mentor? Pilot to pilot? Those are the big number, low time required functions. Of course there are plenty of other committees depending on background and willingness of time.

Your resume and interview are your opportunity to brag about yourself and what you do. Don't lie, but think about what you are doing, and if doing a "good" don't be bashful.

Last edited:
Wow. Give back to your company? Screw everyone and everything else on the entire planet then. So being the best employee, (dedicated, honest, hard-working, sincere and reliable) that you can be is not enough.......wow.... how completely tacky, heartless and self-absorbed is that? Bejebus.

I don't find anything wrong with what was said.

Volunteering for your Pilot group goes along way. Do some volunteer work for your Pilot Assistance Committee and I guarantee you won't be saying this.

Do you not have a "community service" section on your resume? Or are you just asking if it would be worth it to expand it?

You should have a section of your resume that talks about non-flying stuff.

You have space.

Where the "take seven lines after First Officer, CRJ and full describe your job duties" came from, I have no idea.

Since asked, my personal suggestion would be to have a "job fair" resume. You're handing it to a pilot, who already knows your duties and functions of swinging gear or an HR rep who is going to take your word that you have cross country and night experience and is looking for a well-rounded individual.

You have seven minutes (roughly) to convey that you're a well-rounded individual. Everyone, I mean, everyone is a pilot at a career fair. There are no bad pilots and everyone works great on teams and always gives 110% Everyone.

To all: Again, my standard disclaimer that these aren't ideas that I made, support or don't support as I'm largely indifferent to the idea. But if you're there and you want to shine, these are friendly suggestions only. If it makes anyone angry or upset, job fairs are not a required part of the application process at any carrier I know, but your mileage may vary.

Do I sound bitter and jaded enough after last week? :) Good! I am.

Yep, Right now I have my flight times, current/previous employment, education, then community service at the tail end. It sounds like for networking/job fair possibilities, I should trim down the flying descriptions and then bulk up my "other activities" sections to expand on what I do and what I've accomplished in the past.

Yep, Right now I have my flight times, current/previous employment, education, then community service at the tail end. It sounds like for networking/job fair possibilities, I should trim down the flying descriptions and then bulk up my "other activities" sections to expand on what I do and what I've accomplished in the past.

Suggestion only, I'd gather that most resume evaluators at a job fair know what a pilot at a 121 carrier does. "…assists the captain in performing an on-time blah blah blah" — ehh… They're not reading it and the more you write, the more you expose yourself to typographical errors and thoughts like "Interesting. That long description of what a pilot does and the applicant didn't say 'fly the airplane'"

I don't find anything wrong with what was said.

Volunteering for your Pilot group goes along way. Do some volunteer work for your Pilot Assistance Committee and I guarantee you won't be saying this.
I realize that you would wear ALPA underwear if they sold it, but telling someone that volunteering at a damn union or giving back to your employer is far more important than building homes in Africa for orphans is disgusting. The fact that you don't see/understand this says a lot about you as a person and what you've become.

I don't give a crap what profession a person works in. While belonging to and or volunteering for an entity related to one's career is fine, helping others, working for charities and causes to benefit those less fortunate is far more important and far more valuable to society as a whole. If my time was limited and I had to choose between serving on some committee at work or rescuing homeless dogs and cats you can be sure I'd be saving those animals. Being a decent human being, doing what is right and working to help those in need takes precedent over any extracurricular activities at some job. Nor would I want to be associated with any employer who believed differently.

FYI, I served on various committees when I was at UAL, but I never once sold my ass down the river and gave up or substituted that in lieu of my other charity obligations. I also didn't do it to look good to anyone, especially the company nor out of ego. And I didn't brag about it to anyone either.

It's a job, it's not your damn life. What you do outside of your career is what defines you as a human being. There is no virtue and no satisfaction in being somebody's company man. A company that will crap all over you anytime they feel like it. The joy, the heart and soul and the satisfaction of working to be able to give of your time and financially to those who are hungry, those who need shelter, those who need love and understanding, those who need clothing, those who need saving, does not even begin to compare to, I was on a Safety committee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tld
I realize that you would wear ALPA underwear if they sold it, but telling someone that volunteering at a damn union or giving back to your employer is far more important than building homes in Africa for orphans is disgusting. The fact that you don't see/understand this says a lot about you as a person.

Can you make a point without using personal attacks?

If you are a Pilot Assistance Volunteer, you will be exposed to cases where you have your fellow coworkers whose house isn't in order and you need to help rebuilding it.

The fact you can't understand that says a lot about you as a person.

I don't give a crap what profession a person works in. While belonging to and or volunteering for an entity related to one's career is fine, helping others, working for charities and causes to benefit those less fortunate is far more important and far more valuable to society as a whole.

You do help others if you volunteer for your union.

If my time was limited and I had to choose between serving on some committee at work or rescuing homeless dogs and cats you can be sure I'd be saving those animals. Being a decent human being, doing what is right and working to help those in need takes precedent over any job. Nor would I want to be associated with any employer who believed differently.

FYI, I served on various committee when I was at UAL, but I never once sold my ass down the river and gave up or substituted that in lieu of my other charity obligations. I also didn't do it to look good to anyone, especially the company nor out of ego. And I didn't brag about it to anyone either.

Not sure who is doing the bragging here. I was just pointing out that I don't see what the problem is if a company counts volunteer work for your pilot group/company as a bad thing.

I realize that you would wear ALPA underwear if they sold it, but telling someone that volunteering at a damn union or giving back to your employer is far more important than building homes in Africa for orphans is disgusting. The fact that you don't see/understand this says a lot about you as a person.

I don't give a crap what profession a person works in. While belonging to and or volunteering for an entity related to one's career is fine, helping others, working for charities and causes to benefit those less fortunate is far more important and far more valuable to society as a whole. If my time was limited and I had to choose between serving on some committee at work or rescuing homeless dogs and cats you can be sure I'd be saving those animals. Being a decent human being, doing what is right and working to help those in need takes precedent over any extracurricular activities at some job. Nor would I want to be associated with any employer who believed differently.

FYI, I served on various committee when I was at UAL, but I never once sold my ass down the river and gave up or substituted that in lieu of my other charity obligations. I also didn't do it to look good to anyone, especially the company nor out of ego. And I didn't brag about it to anyone either. It's a job, it's not your damn life. What you do outside of your career is what defines you as a human being.

Something is certainly better than nothing.

Remember we're talking about looking for and finding a job.

Everyone flies airplanes.

Everyone has family obligations.

Everyone works great on teams.

Everyone has that damned red tie, white shirt and dark suit.

Back