Volunteering

Can you make a point without using personal attacks?

If you are a Pilot Assistance Volunteer, you will be exposed to cases where you have your fellow coworkers whose house isn't in order and you need to help rebuilding it.
The fact you can't understand that says a lot about you as a person.
You do help others if you volunteer for your union.
Not sure who is doing the bragging here. I was just pointing out that I don't see what the problem is if a company counts volunteer work for your pilot group/company as a bad thing.

The issue is a company believing that volunteer work for a pilot group takes place over working on the Special Olympics, Vets charities, rescuing homeless and abused cats and dogs, feeding hungry children and clothing them, visiting children who are cancer patients at hospitals during the holiday and bringing them a toy, working at a soup kitchen and a million other truly worthwhile activities that take precedence and are far more important, meaningful and necessary.

The fact that you keep saying that volunteering at ALPA or volunteering for your co-workers is in any way comparable to any of that makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with you as a human being.

Geeze, quite a few jaded responses.

I personally didn't see anywhere, anyone saying you'd have to go out and get a couple of hobbies and spend all of your weekend volunteering at a local orphanage. It's putting something out there to differentiate you from every other applicant, in the event that every applicant has almost equal qualifications and/or strong points.

Once through the door, and making it to the final selection interview, we're all pilots. We all can fly the plane. Hell, they've trained monkeys to do our job. It's adding something to show that I am an interesting bloke who has an engaging activity or three in the off hours instead of leaving that as a great mystery. Does this person go home to run an illegal cockfighting ring in their basement, or do they like to adopt kittens. It all lends itself toward breaking the ice and starting a conversation to show that you're not a miserable person on and off the clock.

But like some previous folks stated, if you really are a boring shlub, by all means, continue. It makes it a bit easier for the rest of us.

The issue is a company believing that volunteer work for a pilot group takes place over working on the Special Olympics, Vets charities, rescuing homeless and abused cats and dogs, feeding hungry children and clothing them, visiting children who are cancer patients at hospitals during the holiday and bringing them a toy, working at a soup kitchen and a million other truly worthwhile activities that take precedence and are far more important, meaningful and necessary.

The company just wants to see that you are one willing to give back.

The fact that you keep saying that volunteering at ALPA or volunteering for your co-workers is in any way comparable to any of that makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with you as a human being.

Have you ever had to deal with a HIMS case with family involved? If you have, you wouldn't be saying this.

Nothing is wrong with me. You are just so caught up with yourself.

No Mark, I live in the real world. That's the difference between us. A job is a job and nothing more. Every company is a self-serving machine that could not possibly care less about you, in truth, compared to their bottom line. You can ask all the pilots who are now retired or nearing retirement how much they gave and sacrificed for their employers. Ask the ones who have been through mergers, re-organizations, strikes, losing their retirements, having their bennies slashed, having their pay slashed, lived through company bankruptcies, have been lied to and sold down the river. You go ahead and tell them it's far more important that they work for their union or spend more time trying to help their fellow pilots than it is to help the homeless or to coach their son's baseball team. See how far that b.s. gets you.

Geeze, quite a few jaded responses.

I personally didn't see anywhere, anyone saying you'd have to go out and get a couple of hobbies and spend all of your weekend volunteering at a local orphanage. It's putting something out there to differentiate you from every other applicant, in the event that every applicant has almost equal qualifications and/or strong points.

Once through the door, and making it to the final selection interview, we're all pilots. We all can fly the plane. Hell, they've trained monkeys to do our job. It's adding something to show that I am an interesting bloke who has an engaging activity or three in the off hours instead of leaving that as a great mystery. Does this person go home to run an illegal cockfighting ring in their basement, or do they like to adopt kittens. It all lends itself toward breaking the ice and starting a conversation to show that you're not a miserable person on and off the clock.

But like some previous folks stated, if you really are a boring shlub, by all means, continue. It makes it a bit easier for the rest of us.

Post of the day!

No Mark, I live in the real world. That's the difference between us. A job is a job and nothing more. Every company is a self-serving machine that could not possibly care less about you, in truth, compared to their bottom line. You can ask all the pilots who are now retired or nearing retirement how much they gave and sacrificed for their employers. Ask the ones who have been through mergers, re-organizations, strikes, losing their retirements, having their bennies slashed, having their pay slashed, lived through company bankruptcies, have been lied to and sold down the river. You go ahead and tell them it's far more important that they work for their union or spend more time trying to help their fellow pilots than it is to help the homeless. See how far that b.s. gets you.

You're forgetting is that people are looking for jobs. If they take the above perspective and walk into an interview with it, they're not going to get it and, well, rightfully so.

Put your best foot forward, win a prize

Do not put your best foot forward, well, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

No Mark, I live in the real world.

Ahh, sure.

That's the difference between us.

HAHAHHAHA, ok, whatever you say.

A job is a job and nothing more. Every company is a self-serving machine that could not possibly care less about you, in truth, compared to their bottom line. You can ask all the pilots who are now retired or nearing retirement how much they gave and sacrificed for their employers. Ask the ones who have been through mergers, re-organizations, strikes, losing their retirements, having their bennies slashed, having their pay slashed, lived through company bankruptcies, have been lied to and sold down the river. You go ahead and tell them it's far more important that they work for their union or spend more time trying to help their fellow pilots than it is to help the homeless or to coach their son's baseball team. See how far that b.s. gets you.

I have a long time left and want to work with solid people and do what I can to contribute to my employer. If I can, I am willing to help the people I share the cockpit with if they are struggling. Do you piss on them and talk about what YOU are doing with other charities or do you help those you work with? This is beyond employee/management relationships, it is about helping your peers.

I get that Doug. It's the tone and subject of volunteering that I have an issue with. Some people will continue to beat a certain drum because they are too brainwashed or blind to see the truth. Putting your extracurricular activities and philanthropic causes on a resume is not the issue I have. The issue I have is telling people that it's far more important and valuable to be a servant only to their masters and the causes of their masters. This is not what life is about. And 30 or 40 years down the road when you discover the truth of this, it will be too late.

Remember folks, they're not looking for pilots. Hell, the janitor is probably a pilot and so was your Uber driver on the way to the job fair.

They're looking for exceptional coworkers.

Throw that in the mix. Put on your big boy pants and figure out how to convey that on a resume.

You have five to ten minutes. Be awesome or don't show up as you'll just stand in line for hours for no tangible benefit and bitch about it on the Internet.

I get that Doug. It's the tone and subject of volunteering that I have an issue with. Some people will continue to beat a certain drum because they are too brainwashed or blind to see the truth. Putting your extracurricular activities and philanthropic causes on a resume is not the issue I have. The issue I have is telling people that it's far more important and valuable to be a servant only to their masters and the causes of their masters. This is not what life is about. And 30 or 40 years down the road when you discover the truth of this, it will be too late.

That's cool but you're not offering a solution, you're emoting. Which is fine and I appreciate your perspective but I don't want people to confuse emoting with a solution.

I really hate salmon. But I'm not going to scream "I hate salmon!" In a thread about salmon recipes.

Ahh, sure.

HAHAHHAHA, ok, whatever you say.

I have a long time left and want to work with solid people and do what I can to contribute to my employer. If I can, I am willing to help the people I share the cockpit with if they are struggling. Do you piss on them and talk about what YOU are doing with other charities or do you help those you work with? This is beyond employee/management relationships, it is about helping your peers.
Mark, I have no idea what is wrong with you, but clearly, something is. You have decided to troll this thread as you have so many threads, because I assume you are bored. One thing is clear. You and I are world's apart. I'd almost feel sorry for you if it weren't for your continued obnoxious behavior, your ego and your know it all attitude. It's time for me to just go back to ignoring you. It's really all you deserve.

Mark, I have no idea what is wrong with you, but clearly, something is. You have decided to troll this thread as you have so many threads, because I assume you are bored. One thing is clear. You and I are world's apart. I'd almost feel sorry for you if it weren't for your continued obnoxious behavior, your ego and your know it all attitude. It's time for me to just go back to ignoring you. It's really all you deserve.

Wrong with me! HA!

I am just stating that you can (literally) change lives outside of charitable organizations that may be helpful to have on an application for future employment. You seem to have a problem with that.

That's cool but you're not offering a solution, you're emoting. Which is fine and I appreciate your perspective but I don't want people to confuse emoting with a solution.

I really hate salmon. But I'm not going to scream "I hate salmon!" In a thread about salmon recipes.
Let's take two candidates then- similar equal education, experience and hours flown, do you really believe that if a person has and shows all sorts of community involvement, working for decent charities and causes, good extracurricular activities on their resume, that, that person is a step down and has less of a chance than someone who lists only only thing, either working with ALPA or being on one job related committee?

Let's take two candidates then- similar equal education, experience and hours flown, do you really believe that if a person has and shows all sorts of community involvement, working for decent charities and causes, good extracurricular activities on their resume, that, that person is a step down and has less of a chance than someone who lists only only thing, either working with ALPA or being on one job related committee?

Depends

Maybe the interview Pilot has worked on a similar committee in the past? Maybe they have a natural connection to that candidate through that committee work. Maybe the person who has ALPA work listed can easily carry a conversation while the other pilot can't and comes across like an ass. Maybe the ALPA volunteer donates to charity with money which you can't put down on an application.

Point is, you don't know how these individual candidates would do. It does show that they are both well rounded and willing to give back though.

Dude come visit me in the late summer. Fresh off the boat Salmon, hours dead on the BBQ. Throw in some oysters and Lagunitas IPA.

I have your cure for hating salmon.

Remember folks, they're not looking for pilots. Hell, the janitor is probably a pilot and so was your Uber driver on the way to the job fair.

They're looking for exceptional coworkers.

Throw that in the mix. Put on your big boy pants and figure out how to convey that on a resume.

You have five to ten minutes. Be awesome or don't show up as you'll just stand in line for hours for no tangible benefit and bitch about it on the Internet.

I just want you to know that the help you give, and the information that you pass along to us is appreciated. By the way, you may as well have been looking at my resume when you described the typical pilot resume... that is a perfect example of how a person may not be able to see the forest through the trees, and it is nice when someone else can help them out with that!

I must admit that the music-related article in the latest ALPA magazine ("Pilots Rock Out For Charities") made me want to extend my volunteer reach. Rock United sounds like fun!

How about we keep this simple.

Recruiters like to see you volunteer and give back.

It can be in the community, church, union or any other function. Pick something you love and have a good story to tell.

How about we keep this simple.

Recruiters like to see you volunteer and give back.

It can be in the community, church, union or any other function. Pick something you love and have a good story to tell.

Keep it simple, easy. Right?

But for the average pilot, type A person, content in skill set/determination/purpose, it's a complete pause. Bigger picture, which seems to be agreed on, is EXPAND your own picture. Look in from a birds eye view to determine "who you are"... Now project it! Yea, that's the hard part, but needed part to make you "stand out".

That seems to be the point of the thread, and also the reality to succeed.

Back