Volunteering

Let's take two candidates then- similar equal education, experience and hours flown, do you really believe that if a person has and shows all sorts of community involvement, working for decent charities and causes, good extracurricular activities on their resume, that, that person is a step down and has less of a chance than someone who lists only only thing, either working with ALPA or being on one job related committee?

The "two similar candidates" is a straw man argument which I generally have a policy of avoiding.

Personally it depends on the committee. If you're on the negotiating committee, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're volunteering for altruistic selfless reasons.

However, if you're a volunteer on the CIRP or Pilots for Kids, that's a high level of empathy.

It depends.

So angry, why? It's the Internet.

I used to volunteer at the public library in their HR department. Did that for 6 years. Used to volunteer to do flights (short .5 hour discovery flights) for the Wounded Warriors Project. Used to volunteer for the High Hopes for Teens program. Not active in that anymore as I'm a regional pilot that works 95+ hours/month with 13 days off. I enjoy that time with my wife (happily married) and kids ( love them and wouldn't trade them for the world). Apparently it's frowned upon that I spend my time with my family. I've volunteered for our annual Fantasy Flight, but have yet to be selected.

Sorry, but family comes first in my mind. It's a "broke" system right now. You want me to show I care about things other than aviation, great! I do! Unfortunately the things I do outside cost money, thus I can't volunteer. For instance, hockey. I love hockey. Been skating forever. But I can't volunteer to coach because I can honestly give them one night a week of helping out. To me, that's not much and doesn't accomplish anything. I haven't talked with people in the know, but if @Derg, @Seggy, @Aero Crew Solutions says 4 hours a month volunteering is GREAT, then I'll try. It just seems like 4 hrs/month is only trying to "check a box" then stop. If I'm going to do something, I want to go balls deep.
I couldn't agree more..I'm married with
2 kids ..There is no time to volunteer .
Everything is about family..You want to
know what I do with my spare time ?
Sleep!..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many different kinds of things one can do as a volunteer in any number of different organizations, as has been stated.

So angry, why? It's the Internet.

Maybe not anger. Maybe an annoyance seeing the appreciation and respect there is....or isn't.....by Mark regarding those who made it possible for him to enjoy the things he does at his current shop. Those who paved the way long beforehand as a mainline pilot and ALPA member; and did the work, whether with volunteering, voting, or whatever.

Writing stuff like this:

Maybe the person who has ALPA work listed can easily carry a conversation while the other pilot can't and comes across like an ass.

...isn't something someone who paved the way at a particular carrier, would appreciate hearing from a newb there. Like someone who isn't ALPA is a complete and utter moron and can't carry on a conversation? That kind of arrogant reflection isn't something I'd appreciate from some new person at any of my career work areas either. Especially if I've had to endure a bankruptcy, a strike, the effects of 9/11, a severe pay cut, bennies disappearing, retirement going south and becoming worthless under ESOP, having to sue my own union just to get my pay/retirement monies. I'd probably be a little annoyed too.

Last edited:
There are many different kinds of things one can do as a volunteer in any number of different organizations, as has been stated.

I get that.

Maybe not anger. Maybe an annoyance seeing the appreciation and respect there is....or isn't.....by Mark regarding those who made it possible for him to enjoy the things he does at his current shop. Those who paved the way long beforehand as a mainline pilot and ALPA member; and did the work, whether with volunteering, voting, or whatever.

Oh Mike, in the real world respect is earned, not given just because someone has a rank on their shoulder or more seniority

Writing stuff like this:

...isn't something someone who paved the way at a particular carrier, would appreciate hearing from a newb there. Like someone who isn't ALPA is a complete and utter moron and can't carry on a conversation? That kind of arrogant reflection isn't something I'd appreciate from some new person at any of my career work areas either. Especially if I've had to endure a bankruptcy, a strike, the effects of 9/11, a severe pay cut, bennies disappearing, retirement going south and becoming worthless under ESOP, having to sue my own union just to get my pay/retirement monies. I'd probably be a little annoyed too.

Did you even read what I wrote? Your boy was talking in hypotheticals, so I played that game with him and pointed something out. It isn't arrogance, it was responding to a game he was playing of hypotheticals. Yet you feel the need to attempt to pontificate on a subject where you shouldn't be.

Oh, one more thing, again, respect is earned, not given.

Oh Mike, in the real world respect is earned, not given just because someone has a rank on their shoulder or more seniority

Mark, I 've been aware of that concept for a very long time. Even sol, there's a certain respect that comes to those who paved the way for you, and the things you enjoy at your shop. They didn't just appear from nowhere, which I'm sure you know.

Did you even read what I wrote? Your boy was talking in hypotheticals, so I played that game with him and pointed something out. It isn't arrogance, it was responding to a game he was playing of hypotheticals. Yet you feel the need to attempt to pontificate on a subject where you shouldn't be.

Oh, one more thing, again, respect is earned, not given.

First of, Gerry is no one's "boy"; see that lack of respect I'm talking about? Who you're referring to as "boy" is a guy who was career UAL before you even knew what UAL or an airplane was, and probably before you were even born. And has crossed bridges in life and in the airline career that you could only wish to cross. Get that? You don't even realize the disrespect you show. You're not even remotely qualified to carry Gerry's pubs case.

I'm pontificating? I'd love you to spew half the crap you do here on some subjects, to senior people at UAL who've been there far longer than you have, and see what happens to you when you do. They'd kick you in the ass most likely.

A subject where I shouldn't be? What, because I'm not some ALPA cool aid drinker like you are? Have you been through those events at UAL that I mentioned? Maybe you need to recage your gyros on what respect is and how it is earned.

You don't know the first damn thing about respect Mark, because not only don't you give any to those who are deserving, you haven't at all earned any. And it's very apparent by your attitude and arrogance you display here. Gerry owes you zero in the respect department. That would be like me demanding that Robin Olds have respect for me.

Last edited:
First, let us go go back to read what I wrote in post 114 when I jumped in this thread and the personal, hatred response I got in post 118.

Then, if you peel the onion back and look at posts previous to 114 in this thread, Gerry was spouting off of personal disgust that an airline isn't punishing applicants if they volunteer for their union. Simple as that. I for one am happy pilot recruiters see that folks may not be able to volunteer for a charitable organization on their days off as they want to be with their family, but if a person is willing to volunteer for their pilot group when they can on layovers and give back that value is given to that. For crying out loud, we have pilots in this thread that have posted that they can't do anything on their days off for family obligations.

Yet, all we get is an enraged poster without looking at all the details and nuances to this.

Mark, I 've been aware of that concept for a very long time.

Doesn't seem like that

Even sol, there's a certain respect that comes to those who paved the way for you, and the things you enjoy at your shop. They didn't just appear from nowhere, which I'm sure you know.

Once again, respect is earned, not given.

First of, Gerry is no one's "boy"; see that lack of respect I'm talking about?

He appears to be your friend.

Who you're referring to as "boy" is a guy who was career UAL before you even knew what UAL or an airplane was, and probably before you were even born. And has crossed bridges in life and in the airline career that you could only wish to cross. Get that? You don't even realize the disrespect you show. You're not even remotely qualified to carry Gerry's pubs case.

Why are you attempting to dress me down like I am some subordinate to you? Does it make you feel better to say things like that? I am very secure to where my career has been, where it is today and where it is going. Thankfully the senior folks I have flown with don't take your attitude and come to the cockpit with an attitude, 'well you recently went to training on this airplane, don't hesitate to speak up!'

I'm pontificating? I'd love you to spew half the crap you do here on some subjects, to senior people at UAL who've been there far longer than you have, and see what happens to you when you do. They'd kick you in the ass most likely.

Miss the mark again Mike. If we want to talk about spew crap I would like you to walk into the crew room and explain to someone that volunteering for CIRP or HIMS isn't a worthwhile endeavor or some of the other subjects I see posted on here that I just shake my head at.

A subject where I shouldn't be? What, because I'm not some ALPA cool aid drinker like you are? Have you been through those events at UAL that I mentioned? Maybe you need to recage your gyros on what respect is and how it is earned.

Do you even realize that a third of the pilot group hasn't been through the events you mentioned? I feel horrible for the folks that had to go through that and don't wish it on anyone, but just because they went through it doesn't mean there are others who have had their own challenges in their own right.

You don't know the first damn thing about respect Mark, because not only don't you give any to those who are deserving, you haven't at all earned any. And it's very apparent by your attitude and arrogance you display here. Gerry owes you zero in the respect department. That would be like me demanding that Robin Olds have respect for me.

Whatever you say Mike. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that we should put other non aviation related activities on our resumes?

I like playing hockey, trying to play golf, brewing beer. If I could actually have s conversation about something other than airplanes at a job fair, I would be elated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would say if you could volunteer in any of those areas it would be a great opportunity to be able to do just that. "As you can see on my resume I help coach youth hockey. I don't have as much time at home to contribute as I'd like, but I remember coach so and so growing up and how he was able to help me blah blah blah, I enjoy being able...."

Depends

Maybe the interview Pilot has worked on a similar committee in the past? Maybe they have a natural connection to that candidate through that committee work. Maybe the person who has ALPA work listed can easily carry a conversation while the other pilot can't and comes across like an ass. Maybe the ALPA volunteer donates to charity with money which you can't put down on an application.

Point is, you don't know how these individual candidates would do. It does show that they are both well rounded and willing to give back though.

Oh one more thing @MikeD. You took one sentence out of this post and selectively edited it in your attempt to dress me down.

Let us look at the whole post. It isn't what you made it seem to be.

First, let us go go back to read what I wrote in post 114 when I jumped in this thread and the personal, hatred response I got in post 118.

Then, if you peel the onion back and look at posts previous to 114 in this thread, Gerry was spouting off of personal disgust that an airline isn't punishing applicants if they volunteer for their union. Simple as that. I for one am happy pilot recruiters see that folks may not be able to volunteer for a charitable organization on their days off as they want to be with their family, but if a person is willing to volunteer for their pilot group when they can on layovers and give back that value is given to that. For crying out loud, we have pilots in this thread that have posted that they can't do anything on their days off for family obligations.

Yet, all we get is an enraged poster without looking at all the details and nuances to this.

There are all kinds of volunteering opportunities that benefit many different things, in many different ways.

However, when you say things like (paraphrasing) "maybe it shows the person can hold a conversation and sound like they know what they're talking about"; that's probably not the best way to recognize that there is indeed volunteer life outside union life that is considered worth it from an interview standpoint. Sure, there are great volunteer positions within, some even named, and there are ones outside also.

Once again, respect is earned, not given.

No kidding. And that goes towards people who paved the way before you. You two don't have to agree or even like each other. You don't have to respect opinions, from either of you. But there is basic respect of someone who, along with many others, made the things possible for you that make your livelihood now. I said you're not fit to carry Gerry's pubs case, you can include me in that too, if you want fairness....I'm not even fit to hold his pubs case. From what I know of him, I haven't done 1/1000th of what he's done in ocean crossings and countries visited. And from what I know, he was even doing PR work like Doug is now with his company, back when I was in college and you were in single digit age.

Why are you attempting to dress me down like I am some subordinate to you? Does it make you feel better to say things like that? I am very secure to where my career has been, where it is today and where it is going. Thankfully the senior folks I have flown with don't take your attitude and come to the cockpit with an attitude, 'well you recently went to training on this airplane, don't hesitate to speak up!'

This has nothing to do with flying a plane or CRM. I'm talking you poo-poo'ing ideas like having some basic respect for someone who has gone before you and endured the list of crap I wrote off the top of my head (and there's probably more they endured); things you've luckily haven't had to deal with and hopefully won't....strike, loss of pension, etc. You ought to thank those guys for the good you have now, and maybe won't have to endure later; even if there are issues you don't agree on.

Miss the mark again Mike. If we want to talk about spew crap I would like you to walk into the crew room and explain to someone that volunteering for CIRP or HIMS isn't a worthwhile endeavor or some of the other subjects I see posted on here that I just shake my head at.

As I mentioned above, those are good programs within the union, just like many other programs there are outside of the union.

Do you even realize that a third of the pilot group hasn't been through the events you mentioned? I feel horrible for the folks that had to go through that and don't wish it on anyone, but just because they went through it doesn't mean there are others who have had their own challenges in their own right.

I'm sure for as long as it's been, the herd has been thinned out big time since those events, and I'm sure there are a number still around who've endured it. I would venture to say that someone with a full career at your shop, who endured nearly or likely all of those events, has a bag load of suck that exceeds yours (or even mine and I'm sure many many others also, to be fair), and there comes the respect due of having endured that. Earned respect.

There are guys I don't necessarily like or dislike who paved the way before me in careers I've done, in some of those careers, they've given their lives in the cause of. For that, I hold respect even for the ones who I didn't like. They were there, they earned it at least that much. I don't have to necessarily like them personally, but I respect what their contibution to the profession was, especially if it was in my own service. As a junior to them, who benefitted in some way from what they did, I owe them at least that much.

No different than how I feel about airline flying. While airline flying in and of itself doesn't hold alot of interest to me, the actual flying itself that is....having been on enough jumpseats to be able to see it firsthand; I do have a heck of alot of respect for what airline pilots do; be it mainline, regional, cargo, whatever. Because day after day, these people get pax and cargo safely from pt A to pt B; often enduring the things like crap pay, concessions, lousy work rules, low job security, and likely a host of other issues present or potential. And yes, I include you in that respect, that's a collective earned amount of basic respect for those that do the job. Doesn't mean I like all the airline pilots I know, but I respect their work and what they do, they've earned that.

That's what I'm talking about. And that's what I think you're not seeing.

Last edited:
Back