Volunteering

I would say no matter what, volunteer because you want to volunteer, not because it looks good to an airline.

Agreed.

That too is why I believe volunteer work should be a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have, for hiring purposes. Depending on life circumstances, not everyone will be able to do volunteer work, with time spent trying to just put food on the table, pay the rent, and spend the balance of time with family. Others, are able to. Everyone's life situation is different.

I would say no matter what, volunteer because you want to volunteer, not because it looks good to an airline.

I like you (no @Maximillian_Jenius euphisms ;) ) and like what you contribute you. Wished you volunteered here more, like you used to. Technically speaking though, fathers volunteer. They aren't getting paid for raising their kids on their days off. It's a choice, just like volunteering to an organization. And if you volunteer to help the community, how is raising kids to help the community any different than volunteering in the community? What's the difference between volunteering at home and volunteering at a foster center? And don't go too in depth, or I will go all philosophical on your ass (which you can say here).

Volunteering, IMO, should be a life-long pursuit. Everyone has their passions and interests. Volunteer for a cause that you believe in and because you sincerely want to help and benefit others. The last reason on the planet to ever volunteer for any charity or group, is because you can put it on your resume.

Even i you only have 1 day a month or a few hours a month, every sincere effort helps and is appreciated. You'd be amazed at how many hour we waste in a week when we could be helping others.

So whether it's homeless animals, children, Vets, the elderly, cleaning up beaches and parks, removing graffiti, the Special Olympics, working at a museum, working at a soup kitchen, or whatever......do a search in your area and try some different organizations out until you find one that works for, that you enjoy and feel you can be of value to and want to affiliate with. And for everyone..............you can even involve your family, friends, and neighbors. That way, you really are not taking much time away from your family, if that is a concern for some. And it will be a great, lifelong lesson/role model for your children that they can also carry on throughout their lives.

Last edited:
Agreed.

That too is why I believe volunteer work should be a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have, for hiring purposes. Depending on life circumstances, not everyone will be able to do volunteer work, with time spent trying to just put food on the table, pay the rent, and spend the balance of time with family. Others, are able to. Everyone's life situation is different.

Agreed. Senior folk get the "nice to have" time availability. They're usually the lifers that have no desire to move on. But they can "do what counts" because they can. Junior folk don't have that luxury, at least where I work, and can't "do what counts" or "because they want to." Can they explain that on an app? No. Could they explain it in person? Yes. Which is why I think job fairs are an unnecessary evil in this hiring environment.

This is my problem, I really enjoy volunteering and miss teaching in CAP and the BSA because I loved the enthusiasm of everyone in both organizations. I don't want to do something half as$ed and I feel like a piece of garbage for not giving back in the past year or two. I'm not doing it just for a resume filler.
I'd like to do Angelflight or Pilots n Paws when I'm home in my club's airplane, but... I'm never home :(
oh and @Finny that's really awesome pulling funeral duty. That's some heavy stuff and much respect to you for that.

You can volunteer while you are on a trip. If you have a long layover, don't sit in your room and watch TV all day. There are numerous opportunities available in each city. If you are sitting ready reserve, I can guarantee there is a USO at the airport. Walk over and ask them if they need any help.

I know it may be a pain for some especially those with families but it is just another way for a recruiter to eliminate a candidate. Recruiters are looking for leaders at work and in the community. If you can't do both, excel in one.

This is my problem, I really enjoy volunteering and miss teaching in CAP and the BSA because I loved the enthusiasm of everyone in both organizations. I don't want to do something half as$ed and I feel like a piece of garbage for not giving back in the past year or two. I'm not doing it just for a resume filler.
I'd like to do Angelflight or Pilots n Paws when I'm home in my club's airplane, but... I'm never home :(
Everyone gets caught up in life and circumstances. Especially when your career is just budding so to speak, changing here and there/ in flux and you need to put in a lot of time. Don't beat yourself up because seriously, every bit of volunteering, counts and is meaningful/important. And even though you may not have a lot of hours at this time and place, doesn't mean you won't have more time in the future.

So just sit down and make a list of what you like/enjoy/would like to do, do some checking in your area for specific organizations, make some phone calls and see what the commitment time wise might be, what they need folks to do and try one. Don't be discouraged or give up. You'll find the right fit soon enough.

I think it's terrific that you want to volunteer in the first place. A little effort is always better than no effort at all. It is needed, will be appreciated and you'll be making a difference. That's what matters. :)

Last edited:
I'd look into registering with your local BSA council as a merit badge instructor. Back when I was in scouts, we had a list of "free lance" merit badge councilers around our area we could get merit badge lessons from. That, or find a local troop and offer to get everyone their aviation merit badge in a day and your local flying club. I bet if you called up the council's office they would be able to point you in the right direction on some basic volunteering opportunities.

I heard this is huge at the majors level. Anybody know if it's a big part of the regional hiring process too?

Finny said:
I'd look into registering with your local BSA council as a merit badge instructor. Back when I was in scouts, we had a list of "free lance" merit badge councilers around our area we could get merit badge lessons from. That, or find a local troop and offer to get everyone their aviation merit badge in a day and your local flying club. I bet if you called up the council's office they would be able to point you in the right direction on some basic volunteering opportunities.
Yes, find the local troop and contact them.

I'm continue with the BSA as a merit badge counselor (many including aviation), as well as other duties (webelos leader and Eagle Scout Project Mentor). I find it very rewarding.

I also have gotten into an interesting volunteer position. I'm working at an Amish Thrift Shoppe testing electronic equipment that has been donated. As the assistant manager told me, they needed an English to do it. I've been called worse I guess. 8)

For instance, hockey. I love hockey. Been skating forever. But I can't volunteer to coach because I can honestly give them one night a week of helping out. To me, that's not much and doesn't accomplish anything. I haven't talked with people in the know, but if @Derg, @Seggy, @Aero Crew Solutions says 4 hours a month volunteering is GREAT, then I'll try. It just seems like 4 hrs/month is only trying to "check a box" then stop. If I'm going to do something, I want to go balls deep.

I think you (used to) work for OO, is there any chance you live in SLC? My wife volunteers to coach the local girls travelling hockey team, and I help when I'm around (which, thanks to my seniority, has been every practice/tournament). Even at one night a week for practice and one weekend a month usually for a tournament, it has been insanely rewarding for both of us. I would absolutely consider it more than checking a box.

PS if you're in SLC, they are looking to grow the girls program...

Last edited:
Nah. I ain't there. I'll give you a hint. I'm in an MX base (very early shows and late finishes) that has 40 CAs and 34 FOs. There have been 2 months since April of last year with a (and I mean "a," one, uno, une - the rest 0) reserve line available for bid. And in November (maybe December) there were 31 targeted line holders with only 30 FOs bidding.

Suffice to say, I don't even care when 8PM MST/MDT on the 24th rolls around anymore. ;)

Can't do anything with my schedule for job fairs. Not about to call in for a trip to attend - just not me. Can bid the days off but I most assuredly get CNed to "cover more coverage dates."

And if that hint doesn't help, we are a UA dedicated base that has 2-3 directs to SLC that we can't take to recurrent, and I'm not in CA or AZ.

Last edited:
I would love to. The hard part is finding time to go to the police academy. In GA there's no abbreviated course for reserves.
It's probably going to be the same in every state. CA is the same. After working as a CO and a lot of my buddies being deputies (after I left the jail) I always wanted to go through the reserve academy. If any thing to hang with a few friends and do some good. I'll probably never have the chunk of time to do it. You may look into Community Volunteers in Policing, or a name similar in your local area. In our area they are generally retirees who want to give back. They take minor reports (graffiti/vandalism etc) so it frees up a deputy to do other things. They also respond to some traffic/crime scenes where there's a need for bodies to direct the public or keep traffic moving. They probably do even more I'm just not intimately familiar with the programs. It may be worth while where you're located.

I would love to know when a regional airline/ Guardsmen or Reservist with a family is going to volunteer....13 days off (if lucky) and 3-5 days of Drills/FTPs to maintain currency?
Also don't list something to check a box? So the soup kitchens that you make meals every other month for doesn't sound good enough...
Yea I volunteer but its not going on my resume or app, mowing the neighbors yard with Alzheimers doesn't exactly sound organized enough.
I think thats called being a good human being... How did we get to the point where being a contributor to society gets you points on a job app?

I think you (used to) work for OO, is there any chance you live in SLC? My wife volunteers to coach the local girls travelling hockey team, and I help when I'm around (which, thanks to my seniority, has been every practice/tournament). Even at one night a week for practice and one weekend a month usually for a tournament, it has been insanely rewarding for both of us. I would absolutely consider it more than checking a boxbox.

PS if you're in SLC, they are looking to grow the girls program...

I've always wanted to do some goalie coaching for kids. So many coaches when I was growing up didn't know the first thing about goaltending and just let us figure our own stuff out. Had a coach my last few years and it made a HUGE difference.

But I haven't played in years.

It's probably going to be the same in every state. CA is the same. After working as a CO and a lot of my buddies being deputies (after I left the jail) I always wanted to go through the reserve academy. If any thing to hang with a few friends and do some good. I'll probably never have the chunk of time to do it. You may look into Community Volunteers in Policing, or a name similar in your local area. In our area they are generally retirees who want to give back. They take minor reports (graffiti/vandalism etc) so it frees up a deputy to do other things. They also respond to some traffic/crime scenes where there's a need for bodies to direct the public or keep traffic moving. They probably do even more I'm just not intimately familiar with the programs. It may be worth while where you're located.

In South Carolina (my home state) they have a very good reserve program where you go through the training part time over the course of a year. You get sworn in and go through training on the job once you get to a certain point.

Florida highway patrol has a similar program too. I'm thinking about that one once I have my FL license for a year.

I would love to. The hard part is finding time to go to the police academy. In GA there's no abbreviated course for reserves.

Most States/local departments have provisions for this very thing. Although almost all departments state that a Reserve Officer meet the same training requirement, it does not necessarily mean that you must attend the academy full time. Most departments understand that a Reserve officer has other jobs/obligations so they conduct training sessions in the evenings/weekends that, in the end, meet the legislative training requirement. Also, the in-service training is the same as for a full-time Officer but classes are held many times in order to accommodate the shift hours of the department.

If this is what you're interested in, don't cross it off your list until you check with the specific department that you are interested in.

Most States/local departments have provisions for this very thing. Although almost all departments state that a Reserve Officer meet the same training requirement, it does not necessarily mean that you must attend the academy full time. Most departments understand that a Reserve officer has other jobs/obligations so they conduct training sessions in the evenings/weekends that, in the end, meet the legislative training requirement. Also, the in-service training is the same as for a full-time Officer but classes are held many times in order to accommodate the shift hours of the department.

If this is what you're interested in, don't cross it off your list until you check with the specific department that you are interested in.
Our county does it part time. Meaning, Monday - Friday 1800-2200 at night for a few months. While it works for the 9-5'er, not so much for us. Good to know other states/counties have provisions for shift work.

Back