USCG pilot in fatal mishap facing court martial

Hope it answers your question.

People, life, and the military did not change. Certainly not in the short time you were in service. You were just unaware of them before you entered service.

Here is but one example from before you were born. While that may seem like a long time ago to you, I doubt that the basic principles of human behavior have changed since the Roman Legions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

The "fog of war" is a reality. If it were not, there would not be so many deaths by fratricide. However, in the case of the USCG pilot, no such defense can be raised. Risking the life of another in order to get an adrenaline rush is inexcusable, and that is true whether the risk taker is wearing a uniform or not.

I went into the Navy in 03. My circumstances were a bit different. I went in at 27, after selling a successful technology company. I felt that I had an obligation to do my part, as did my great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and numerous uncles and cousins did dating back to the Civil War. I got out in 08. I knew things were "not as advertised" quickly after entering A School just out of boot camp. After getting to my 1st command (KNMM), I asked my Chief what he would do if he were in my shoes (27 year old E3, just in the military, and contemplating a career) his reply, "I'd do my time and get the eff out." Big red flag, right? So, there were problems that were developing long before I arrived.

2006, Fallujah occured and there was the hanging of the Blackwater contractors from the bridge. The military response was to all but level Fallujah. The eyes of the world watched as we leveled that city. Abu Ghraib became a scandal in February of 2006, I believe, and then the 3rd attack on Fallujah from Sept. - Jan 2007. With the press descending on Pres. Bush, and his advisors' over the approach to the war in Iraq, they needed a facelift, and changed all of the ROE's, among many other things. Nobody was spared; SOC and the regular troops alike. I think 2006 and Fallujah 3 is a data point worth noting. Many atrocities were committed prior to 2006, but none of them were brought to light until 2006, or later. Certainly, nobody was charged publicly for anything that was committed until after 2006. The only noteworthy exception is Abu Ghraib.

Abu Ghraid is noteworthy and really poignant because it illustrates so well what is happening in this USCG case. Everyone from President Bush (through Rumsfeld's council) had signed off on what was occurring at Abu Ghraib. Rumsfeld had spoken publicly many times about doing whatever it took to obtain actionable intelligence from captured combatants and suspected terrorists. The CIA had a sign off on it, as did every other agency that was working in Iraq; the death that brought Abu Ghraib to light was committed by a CIA interrogator and a Blackwater contractor. Neither were charged, let alone interviewed. Nobody above the rank of Staff Sergeant did time in prison, or received a discharge. Some charges were dropped because "rights had failed to be read prior to an interview". I see everyone as equally responsible from top to bottom, but the OIC's had not only signed off, but encouraged this behavior until those photos were released. They were seen as not culpable in the eyes of their superiors and instead let some junior enlisted folks take the ride for their directives.

This may be an extreme example of what made me get out, but when things like this are going on at all levels, in every area of a command, and then swept under the rug, one is forced to either placate the system and play along, or decide that it's a broken system that cannot be repaired, and make the decision to move on. I have no regrets in making the decision that I made. The only thing that I REALLY miss is the free travel around the world. And the refueling missions that I was able to jump on. Other than that, I don't miss any of it.

Hope it answers your question.
Your facts on Abu Ghraib are not even close. While "enhanced interrogation" was approved at higher levels the conduct at Anu Ghraib had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was some low level schmucks who decided to have fun on their own and pathetic leadership from the company through brigade level. The brigade commander was... "weak"... to put it mildly. She never even went to Abu Graib. I was General Taguba's pilot for much of the investigation and we did not have a VIP kit in the aircraft so I pretty much got to hear his findings on the case.

Pilot in the CG case is getting hosed.
1. He was not only the PI (copilot), but also was new to the area and undergoing training on the local operations. Put him in an uncomfortable position to speak up.
2. The aircraft was flying at a higher altitude and on autopilot until just before the accident. The PC kicked off the autopilot and dove down to do a fly by of a CG water craft. Not sure how low he intended to go but hardly consider 175' low level over water in RW. I don't remember the time line off the top of my head, but it was something like 30 seconds from autopilot disconnect to the wire strike. Not much time for the PI to get his bearings again on a sectional, see the wires on the sectional in relation to their position on the GPS (probably the primary navigation prior to impact along with the PC's knowledge of their position), and alert the PC of the danger. Been there done that. PC has been there a while, knows the area well, you are kind of along for the ride at this point, suddenly PC takes an unexpected action and it takes time to recage your gyros and figure out where you are and what the heck is going on.
Lessons need to be learned from this accident. Maybe more emphasis on CRM for pilots new to areas. But court martial? Give me a break.

Back