USAF OTS - High PCSM vs. low AFOQT scores

FW_Flyer

I am currently in the process of applying for an AD pilot slot with the USAF and have a couple of questions regarding my selection chances. Does PCSM hold more weight than AFOQT verbal/quant/AA scores? Also, does having a good GPA (3.7 in BS Aeronautics) & PPL w/ 150+ hours help offset low AFOQT scores?
I know the whole person/leadership thing is also important & I am also a prior E applicant.
I took the test today and I didn't do very well managing the short allotted time for the test although I feel 100% confident on the Aviation portions.

I'm hoping that some pilot selects here under similar circumstances or anyone with experience in this matter can chime in.

Thanks!

They must have turned that test into a ball buster, I took it 7 years ago and it was fairly easy, but the scores we've been getting from applicants at the unit have all been much lower for the last year or so since the new test came out. Unfortunately, I have no insight as to what the OTS board is looking for since I'm a guard baby, best of luck. @Hacker15e ?

My understanding is that the PCSM is what's weighted heavily, and the AFOQT scores themselves are only required to be above whatever the un-stated minimum qualifying score is. This is because the PCSM considers the AFOQT sub-test scores when it is calculated.

Remember, the PCSM is calculated using AFOQT scores (specifically the pilot and nav sub-scores), the TBAS/BAT results, and your flying hours. Thus, if your PCSM is strong, the algorithm believes that whatever mix of those three factors is will result in a high chance of passing UPT, even if one of them is a bit weak.

Based on what you're saying in your post, @FW_Flyer, your PCSM will probably be fine. Combined with the good GPA and your prior-enlisted performance history, my guess is that you'll be an attractive candidate.

Thanks for the responses. Still waiting for my scores to come back. I did some research on how the AFOQT is graded and found out at one point, scores were actually based on nationwide 12th grade SAT scores and its been percentile based for a while now. Exact details on how the AFOQT is graded now is not released to the public, but score percentile groupings are based on demographics and academic traits which aren't further specified. On the answer sheet, there's even a question asking our household income during high school.

Is the AFOQT or PCSM the test that is most related to the USN/USMC ASTB? I know there were study guides available commercially for the ASTB when I was applying back in the day. I'd imagine there must be something like that on the USAF side. That being said, as a Mech E undergrad at the time, I didn't find the test to be that difficult. If you were a liberal arts kind of guy and were weak or not proficient with basic math and mechanics, it would probably be worth looking into. Not sure what "Aeronautics" involves, but my guess is that you will be fine.

Is the AFOQT or PCSM the test that is most related to the USN/USMC ASTB? I know there were study guides available commercially for the ASTB when I was applying back in the day. I'd imagine there must be something like that on the USAF side. That being said, as a Mech E undergrad at the time, I didn't find the test to be that difficult. If you were a liberal arts kind of guy and were weak or not proficient with basic math and mechanics, it would probably be worth looking into. Not sure what "Aeronautics" involves, but my guess is that you will be fine.

Yes - and the ASTB-E (newest version) considers a similar UAV/Situational awareness simulation that may or may not be found on the TBAS. I am not sure what else is on the new version of the ASTB. There are study guides that actually account for all the written tests, Barron's guide comes to mind.

@FW_Flyer You can take each test twice (ASTB and TBAS), you just have to wait 6 months between retakes. So, if you feel you did not perform at an optimum level for whatever reason, you can study up and 'Kentucky windage' what areas that affect your Pilot score you might need work on. The other scores obviously matter as well, but to what extent of each weight is largely unknown. There are some real nasty math questions - some not so much. If you get a guide it will tell you to pay attention to the question and read everything, but with a time crunch its easy to make simple mistakes like units of measurement switching for example. The biggest thing is getting used to the time, as I am sure you probably noticed.

Yes - and the ASTB-E (newest version) considers a similar UAV/Situational awareness simulation that may or may not be found on the TBAS. I am not sure what else is on the new version of the ASTB. There are study guides that actually account for all the written tests, Barron's guide comes to mind.

The TBAS has a similar UAV/SA simulation as well, and I took it fairly recently.

Back