Chances of getting an AFROTC pilot slot?

madmonkeyman123

I am a sophomore and trying to figure out how well of a chance I have at getting an a pilot slot. Here are my stats:

- 3.95 accumulative GPA in Computer Science at an accredited university
- AFOQT Scores:
- Pilot: 39
- Navigator: 31

PFA: 99

Also, not sure what goes into the pilot slot package but I have worked 2 internships.

I haven't taken the TBAS, and plan on getting around 10-20 flight hours. Basically, my AFOQT scores are so low because I did not study at all for the test, because I wasn't planning on going pilot until recently. If I kill it on the TBAS and get the flight hours, do you think I will have a fair chance of getting a pilot slot? If not, what else should I do? I also should have a high commanders ranking, which will help. In addition, I will most likely finish in top third at field training.

Also, I am interested in being a CSO. Would I be competitive for that?

This is honestly the most asked question and there is honestly no definite answer. You are ranked against everyone in your year group across the nation. The best thing to do is not worry about it and try your best at the things you can control(grades & PFA). I know a girl with a PCSM score of 56 that got a pilot slot and know those that had higher scores not get a pilot slot. Everything is taken into account when it comes to pilot slots, given a value, and basically comes up with a number 1-100(100 being the best) known as your order of merit. wantscheck.com use to have a calculator to come up with the number for you but I am not sure if it has been updated since I went through. I know the order of merit has changed and the commanders ranking is not weighed as heavily as it was and your PCSM score and AFOQT is worth more of your overall score. Try your best, don't be a dick/•/kiss-ass in ROTC. Help out your bros and you should have no problem getting a spot. Even if your PCSM score is low, your GPA and PFA are exceptionally high.

Not sure how ROTC does it but that AFOQT score is low, most packages I have seen for the Guard applicants have from low 80 to high 90's on Pilot..... Usually 70-80 Nav. ROTC peeps can chime in here but you may need to retake that unless they don't use that to rack and stack.

Good plan on getting some flight time... There is nothing like seeing people SIE out of IFS because they decide they don't like flying or that its just not for them.... Feel bad for the dudes that really knew that they wanted to fly and but didnt place high enough.

Not sure how ROTC does it but that AFOQT score is low, most packages I have seen for the Guard applicants have from low 80 to high 90's on Pilot..... Usually 70-80 Nav. ROTC peeps can chime in here but you may need to retake that unless they don't use that to rack and stack.

It is quite low. The new(at least since I went through ROTC 5 years ago) ROTC total pilot score is:
40% Pilot Candidate Selection Method(number 1-99 based on your AFOQT scores, TBAS results, civilian flying hours)
15% Field Training
10% Physical Fitness Test
10% GPA
25% Commanders Ranking

The PCSM is worth A LOT more than when I went through. It definitely wouldn't hurt you to grab a AFOQT study book and take the test again. I wish wantscheck.com was still up and running. That site basically had a calculator to tell you if you were competitive for a slot or not.

I am a sophomore and trying to figure out how well of a chance I have at getting an a pilot slot. Here are my stats:

- 3.95 accumulative GPA in Computer Science at an accredited university
- AFOQT Scores:
- Pilot: 39
- Navigator: 31

PFA: 99

Also, not sure what goes into the pilot slot package but I have worked 2 internships.

I haven't taken the TBAS, and plan on getting around 10-20 flight hours. Basically, my AFOQT scores are so low because I did not study at all for the test, because I wasn't planning on going pilot until recently. If I kill it on the TBAS and get the flight hours, do you think I will have a fair chance of getting a pilot slot? If not, what else should I do? I also should have a high commanders ranking, which will help. In addition, I will most likely finish in top third at field training.

Also, I am interested in being a CSO. Would I be competitive for that?

Although those may be the lowest scores I've heard of, the good news is that there's hope - if you brown-nose the right people, anything is possible. In all seriousness, you should study and take the AFOQT again at some point - even if you weren't planning on being a pilot, you don't want to immediately limit your options. The Active Duty UPT board took about 15 people out of 100+ apps of prior rated guys (most all of which had really good resumes). Even if ROTC has significantly lower standards for flying slots, I would still posture into a good position.

Back