UAL MEC unanimously voted for strike authorization vote

Yes and no...I took the entire month of Oct off and ran out of sick time. Under the new UPA, I would of benefitted slightly because I would have had my entire monthly guarantee covered instead of losing out on a couple hours of pay. I'd however still be in the same spot with sick leave moving forward. It will take 3 months effectively until I can call out for a trip again with full pay because you need to use 15 hours of regular sick time until moving back into your ESB.
Yeah, I hear that. If you’re starting from nothing it definitely sucks.

A0F8C543-494E-4996-BFB4-8B985CD5E0F6.jpeg

Never thought I’d be thanking Seggy!!!! I’m gonna go buy a lotto ticket!

Excited to see my new 7ER pay scale. Sorry!!! I had to do it man…

Cheers to the UAL folks. Hope the full language is good for you guys, y’all deserve it!

Hold up. So you refused narrowbody in base and instead commute to what you said was widebody at another base, but now you’re disclosing it’s the 7ER?! Isn’t that the mix 757/767? You aren’t even commuting to a real widebody. Minus 10 internet bonus points for you! ;)

Hold up. So you refused narrowbody in base and instead commute to what you said was widebody at another base, but now you’re disclosing it’s the 7ER?! Isn’t that the mix 757/767? You aren’t even commuting to a real widebody. Minus 10 internet bonus points for you! ;)
Ask me if I care what your opinion of the 767 is this weekend when I’m in Rome and you’re in SFO scared for your life :)

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems.

If you’re a heavy user of sick leave, then the SJ system is better, but it can always be improved. The downside is you reach disability after 4 months, and then you’re a 2nd class citizen. SJ has a seamless transition to disability, with no monthly cap and you get x2 retirement contribution to make you whole. The supplemental plan is solid. Your bank is refilled when you come back to work. This system works well if you have multiple disability events.

If you’re not a heavy user, then a bank system can work better. If there is a cap, and it’s high enough, it’s a nice cushion and you are still an employee on the payroll, which is an intangible that may have benefits. Downside can be low accrual, especially coming back after a disability event. If you think you’re going to win the race, a large bank is a plus. I’m not a huge fan of the cash for sick plan, because that may encourage poor health maintenance, but some places like that idea.

Ask me if I care what your opinion of the 767 is this weekend when I’m in Rome and you’re in SFO scared for your life :)

Meh, 24 hr layovers mostly after leaving or departing at an odd hr, 6-8 hr time zone differences and back at it the next day? I’ll leave you SWS cats to enjoy that. :)

I mean the bridge for LTD is a good thing, however our accumulation rate is still too low. If you have a medical issue where you don't go on LTD but it's a longer leave, it's tough. I had kidney stones this year and burned all of my sick leave and then some in one shot. I now only have 10 hours (would be 12 under the new contract) which barely covers a 2 day trip. My occurrence was almost a year ago. Again, not worth voting no over, but still disappoint as it was a cave to the very senior pilots that have an obscene amount of sick time banked. The bigger issue I see is reassignment. Again, got to see full language but I've been rolled into a day off 6 times now since I've been a line holder. (Going on 9 months I believe) That's almost 1 day lost a month. I know I'm an extreme example and maybe it has something to do with CLE pairings and always ending up going through EWR on our last day, but still. The financial penalty has to be steeper to deter them from always using it.

Still not following what you are saying. We will now get 10 hours a month of accumulation assuming the AIP becomes a TA and it passes. It isn't a cave. If we went to the Delta system there was no way to pay out these senior pilots and it wouldn't be right to have them lose their earned sick time.

I think they fixed a lot of the reassignment issues from what I see as well.

Still not following what you are saying. We will now get 10 hours a month of accumulation assuming the AIP becomes a TA and it passes. It isn't a cave. If we went to the Delta system there was no way to pay out these senior pilots and it wouldn't be right to have them lose their earned sick time.

I think they fixed a lot of the reassignment issues from what I see as well.

There's no reason that senior pilots should have that much sick time if they actually use it properly. Instead they horde it and fly sick and then get others sick. This system still encourages that mindset.

We will see on reassignment, that's definitely a conversation to have after full TA language is released.

There's no reason that senior pilots should have that much sick time if they actually use it properly. Instead they horde it and fly sick and then get others sick. This system still encourages that mindset.

We will see on reassignment, that's definitely a conversation to have after full TA language is released.

Still not following.

With the polling data a very large majority of pilots at UAL wanted to keep the current system in place but increase the accrual rate. That was accomplished. I am sure there are junior folks who have a lot of sick time relatively to their time and I sure there are folks who are 64 who have 40 hours left.

This reminds me of the discussion around the RHA Accounts with the JCBA was ratified. Initially the RHA was very limiting what you can use it for. But the UAL Pilots had it. They were able to build on it, one negotiation lead to another, the IRS had to be consulted now there is the Active Health Reimbursement Account which is very flexible what it is used for.

If this emergency sick bank is formed, it may look different in a few years than it does now in a positive way for the pilots.

I am also VERY confident the reassignment language will be stronger than it is now.

Last edited:
Still not following.

With the polling data a very large majority of pilots at UAL wanted to keep the current system in place but increase the accrual rate. That was accomplished. I am sure there are junior folks who have a lot of sick time relatively to their time and I sure there are folks who are 64 who have 40 hours left.

This reminds me of the discussion around the RHA Accounts with the JCBA was ratified. Initially the RHA was very limiting what you can use it for. But the UAL Pilots had it. They were able to build on it, one negotiation lead to another, the IRS had to be consulted now there is the Active Health Reimbursement Account which is very flexible what it is used for.

If this emergency sick bank is formed, it may look different in a few years than it does now in a positive way for the pilots.

I am also VERY confident the reassignment language will be stronger than it is now.

For current current contract and for the new TA, what is…

1. Sick bank max cap/accrual limit

2. Sick accrual/month

For current current contract and for the new TA, what is…

1. Sick bank max cap/accrual limit

2. Sick accrual/month
1. Regular SL no cap. Extended SL - 180 hours till used, then 180 again till 540 lifetime cap if I’m reading it right.
2. 6 regular, 4 extended. 120 hours in the extended bank on DOS.

Once extended cap is reached, LTD waiting period is reduced.

Back