UA ask pilots to take unpaid time off

We had this in Jan/Feb then they offered 40 hour paid lines to stay home Mar/Apr. Surprise, the paid lines went really senior.

It’s only the 75/6, 777 and 787 fleets and there’s only a handful of spots. Doesn’t seem to be the doom and gloom some make it out to be

Work the contract.

How much executive compensation is UAL withholding for not securing the resources needed for revenue?

Voluntary time off is a favor to Boeing, not United. Boeing will owe United penalties for being late.

Is there a contract says the penalties from Boeing will be distributed to employees who save UA shareholders money at their personal expense?

BlueJet has been doing 50 hour lines for the past few months. Most bases but definitely skewed towards the CA side.

AA does zero time lines from time to time, they go senior. Does DAL have something similar?
AA goes Very senior

This has almost nothing to do with demand, but the issues with Boeing.

They can’t deliver, the biggest reason why AA is still hiring is retirements.

AA does zero time lines from time to time, they go senior. Does DAL have something similar?

Yes, but there are variations.

I did the NWA version back in the day, and it was an extraordinarily chill couple of months.

I literally had a kiddie pool in my small backyard that I’d rest my feet in while I retrieved frosty beverages from the comfort of my lawn chair.

I seriously CTFO for 3 months. I embraced my orange cat’s philosophy (may he RIP) of “wurk iz fer suckahs”.

I can but unfortunately all their stuff is subscription access only … U.S. pilot shortage leading path to the future of industry labor supply

Not paying to read that but hard to see how the headline can be true given that the pilot shortage is history. With all the recent issues at Boeing and Pratt & Whitney, the limiting factor for airline growth is now aircraft availability; and that will be true until the next economic downturn hits, at which point it will just be consumer demand. It wouldn't matter if the airlines could hire 1,000,000 pilots since there aren't enough airplanes for them to fly and won't be for at least a few years.

There has been hype about an impending pilot shortage for decades- I once found an article from 1985 warning that there would soon be a shortage of pilots:

Turbulence Ahead: The Coming Pilot Shortage and How It Came To Be - The Atlantic
Turbulence Ahead: The Coming Pilot Shortage and How It Came to Be

Airlines hire pilots as shortage looms- USA today
Airlines hire pilots as shortage looms
(love the headline of this one. Apparently any hiring at all constitutes a shortage!)

Airlines face acute shortage of pilots - Wall Street Journal
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203937004578079391643223634

"Demand for pilots set to soar"- USA today
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2011-06-17-pilot-hiring-boom_n.htm

Demand for pilots is 'set to soar' as plane travel grows- BBC
Demand for pilots is 'set to soar' as plane travel grows
(looks like USA today stole their pun for the headline of their 2011 article)

Airlines facing pilot shortage, flight school leaders say- AOPA
404 Error

Aviation Struggles With a Pilot Shortage- Wired
Aviation Struggles With a Pilot Shortage

Pilot Shortage - This one's for real -AOPA
Flight Training Magazine

Airlines face worsening pilot shortage -FlightGlobal
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airlines-face-worsening-pilot-shortage-235983/

Heading Off A Pilot Shortage -Chicago Tribune
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...hortage-worth-based-airline-american-airlines

Pilot Shortage May Harm United Replacement Plan- L.A. Times
Goal Unrealistic, Job Bank Says : Pilot Shortage May Harm United Replacement Plan

Of course, now we can see that these predictions came true eventually. There finally was a pilot shortage from 2021 up until a few months ago, since not only were there a lot of mandatory retirements at that time; but many airline pilots retired early during the Pandemic, and then demand for air travel returned sooner and more completely than expected once the Pandemic was over. Like Halley's Comet, the long-predicted pilot shortage finally appeared, but now with Boeing and P&W's woes it has just as quickly vanished into the outer fringes of the solar system, likely nevermore to return in any of our lifetimes.

Speaking of contracts, now that the job market is once again less pilot-friendly, I actually wonder if any of the airlines might try to demand concessions from their pilots groups.

Last edited:
Not paying to read that but hard to see how the headline can be true given that the pilot shortage is history. With all the recent issues at Boeing and Pratt & Whitney, the limiting factor for airline growth is now aircraft availability; and that will be true until the next economic downturn hits, at which point it will just be consumer demand. It wouldn't matter if the airlines could hire 1,000,000 pilots since there aren't enough airplanes for them to fly and won't be for at least a few years.

There has been hype about an impending pilot shortage for decades- I once found an article from 1985 warning that there would soon be a shortage of pilots:

Of course, now we can see that these predictions came true eventually. There finally was a pilot shortage from 2021 up until a few months ago, since not only were there a lot of mandatory retirements at that time; but many airline pilots retired early during the Pandemic, and then demand for air travel returned sooner and more completely than expected once the Pandemic was over. Like Halley's Comet, the long-predicted pilot shortage finally appeared, but now with Boeing and P&W's woes it has just as quickly vanished into the outer fringes of the solar system, likely nevermore to return in any of our lifetimes.

Speaking of contracts, now that the job market is once again less pilot-friendly, I actually wonder if any of the airlines might try to demand concessions from their pilots groups.

Let’s ask Kit Darby!

Back