Trans States?

For anyone looking at TSA, I am new but I can say the reserve is easy and short lived, it seems like we have plenty of flying to go around. I managed 100 hours my first full month. This is my first 121 but i can say that usually the airplanes are in good shape and most of the crews are awesome to fly with.

Trans States approved headsets:

Bose Sennheiser A20 & X
Sennheiser HMEC 46-1
Telex Airman 750, 5X5 Pro III, & ANR-850
Clarity Aloft Aviation Pro & Pro Plus
David Clark H10-40/60, H10-13.4, H10-13S, H10-20, H10-30, H20-10, H10-13X, H10-13XL, & DC-Pro

Trans States approved headsets:

Bose Sennheiser A20 & X
Sennheiser HMEC 46-1
Telex Airman 750, 5X5 Pro III, & ANR-850
Clarity Aloft Aviation Pro & Pro Plus
David Clark H10-40/60, H10-13.4, H10-13S, H10-20, H10-30, H20-10, H10-13X, H10-13XL, & DC-Pro
6c1a46778a3e4a33ddef0244e3afbae9.gif

For anyone looking at TSA, I am new but I can say the reserve is easy and short lived, it seems like we have plenty of flying to go around. I managed 100 hours my first full month. This is my first 121 but i can say that usually the airplanes are in good shape and most of the crews are awesome to fly with.

Glad you are doing well. You're flying more than I am lol.

Bump on this thread, I interviewed with TSA and got offered the job.

Has anyone gone thru training super recently? I know the general footprint with 5 weeks of ground, followed by sims, etc. (and I will be doing the ATP-CTP course just before starting ground). Just curious how exactly sims run after ground is completed. I have two obligations from my prior business, both in May, and I am trying to finalize which class date I am selecting based on this. I was a wedding photographer in my prior life and have two weddings scheduled May 14 and 28. I already have someone lined up to do my editing on the back end, so I literally just have to photograph the wedding itself. Right now I was thinking of the mid April class which would still have me in ground school on May 14 (off on weekends and it's just a 3.5 hour drive home) but done with ground before the weekend of the 28th, which is Memorial Day weekend...but I would likely be in the middle of sims and I worry about that. If I need to wait to start a class later than I am planning, so be it, which would put me in ground school over both weddings. I wish I'd not booked these but they were booked over a year ago before I made the decision to do this! Once those are out of the way I am free and clear, thank goodness.

Any other tips and tidbits appreciated. This is my first 121 job, I'm coming from a CFI background! I was told that everyone had been receiving RDU out of training, but the most recent class had some people receiving other bases? I'm wanting STL as soon as possible as it's a drivable base for me.

Thanks!

Bump on this thread, I interviewed with TSA and got offered the job.

Has anyone gone thru training super recently? I know the general footprint with 5 weeks of ground, followed by sims, etc. (and I will be doing the ATP-CTP course just before starting ground). Just curious how exactly sims run after ground is completed. I have two obligations from my prior business, both in May, and I am trying to finalize which class date I am selecting based on this. I was a wedding photographer in my prior life and have two weddings scheduled May 14 and 28. I already have someone lined up to do my editing on the back end, so I literally just have to photograph the wedding itself. Right now I was thinking of the mid April class which would still have me in ground school on May 14 (off on weekends and it's just a 3.5 hour drive home) but done with ground before the weekend of the 28th, which is Memorial Day weekend...but I would likely be in the middle of sims and I worry about that. If I need to wait to start a class later than I am planning, so be it, which would put me in ground school over both weddings. I wish I'd not booked these but they were booked over a year ago before I made the decision to do this! Once those are out of the way I am free and clear, thank goodness.

Any other tips and tidbits appreciated. This is my first 121 job, I'm coming from a CFI background! I was told that everyone had been receiving RDU out of training, but the most recent class had some people receiving other bases? I'm wanting STL as soon as possible as it's a drivable base for me.

Thanks!

In the recent past, they have been flexible with new hires if it is something important. I suggest just talking it over with them and giving them as much notice as possible. It's a lot easier for them to schedule around it during your sims. You can't really make up ground school classes unless you want to wait for the next one to start.

Reactions: sbe
In the recent past, they have been flexible with new hires if it is something important. I suggest just talking it over with them and giving them as much notice as possible. It's a lot easier for them to schedule around it during your sims. You can't really make up ground school classes unless you want to wait for the next one to start.

I'm actually working with them now to figure out what's best - the recruiter is checking into a couple of options, and I should hear from them today. I already know where the conflicts are, and so do they. That is good to hear, though! I wish I didn't have to deal with this at all, as it is a distraction for me, but unfortunately it is what it is. If there is good news, it's that I'm relatively close (easy driving distance) and don't have to worry about trying to fly home.

I'm actually working with them now to figure out what's best - the recruiter is checking into a couple of options, and I should hear from them today. I already know where the conflicts are, and so do they. That is good to hear, though! I wish I didn't have to deal with this at all, as it is a distraction for me, but unfortunately it is what it is. If there is good news, it's that I'm relatively close (easy driving distance) and don't have to worry about trying to fly home.
I am from KC and can say that the drive isn't terrible but it will get old. I would try to bid trips that allow you to fly to and from home. Sometimes at the end of a 12 hour day you really won't want to hop in the car and drive 3.5 hours.

I am from KC and can say that the drive isn't terrible but it will get old. I would try to bid trips that allow you to fly to and from home. Sometimes at the end of a 12 hour day you really won't want to hop in the car and drive 3.5 hours.

I can definitely see it getting old! The co-owner of our 120 is ex TWA and did the drive for years. Are you still STL based? I was also considering DEN as a possibility at some point in time, as well, if the drive wears on me.

I can definitely see it getting old! The co-owner of our 120 is ex TWA and did the drive for years. Are you still STL based? I was also considering DEN as a possibility at some point in time, as well, if the drive wears on me.

Right now den isn't growing. But by the time you get online it should be.

That's cool. I'll be thrilled if I can get STL instead of RDU!

It all depends on when you start class etc etc. STL shouldn't be too hard to get since it has the most block hours and the most flight crews. When I started here, STL and IAD were our only two bases. So with the amount of bases now. It is hard to say where they need you the most when you attend class.

It all depends on when you start class etc etc. STL shouldn't be too hard to get since it has the most block hours and the most flight crews. When I started here, STL and IAD were our only two bases. So with the amount of bases now. It is hard to say where they need you the most when you attend class.

I *think* they said during the Q&A at my interview that the most recent class wasn't all RDU. I'm hoping not to get it, but if I do, I'll deal with it until I can get elsewhere. We'll find out when the time comes! It's looking more and more like 5/2 will be my class date with my ATP/CTP the week prior at CAE in DFW. Should know for sure today. Playing a bit of phone/email tag with my recruiter contact as they're all at WAI right now.

I *think* they said during the Q&A at my interview that the most recent class wasn't all RDU. I'm hoping not to get it, but if I do, I'll deal with it until I can get elsewhere. We'll find out when the time comes! It's looking more and more like 5/2 will be my class date with my ATP/CTP the week prior at CAE in DFW. Should know for sure today. Playing a bit of phone/email tag with my recruiter contact as they're all at WAI right now.

Good deal. If you have any issues with your recruiter let me know. My buddy is on pilot recruitment on the iad side.

How long is reserve for new-hire FOs?

What about either CQFOs or street captains (if they're hiring them)?

Cool- do they use you a lot?
I dont mind being reserve as long as I'm used and have overnights so I don't have to pay for a hotel.

Back